Recommendation for portable speaker for phone conferencing

SGMCF328

For zoom purpose and not listening to loud music, speaker can use cheap one like Creative Stage Air, cost $60 only, as long as they are loud and clear. It is the mic that needs to be sensitive, which is not as cheap, and also a high res web cam is necessary. 

Edited by Ingenius

how about these new category of "speakers"

https://www.lazada.sg/tag/neckband-speaker/

of course if sound quality is important, then stick to reputable brands should be safer bet.

Thanks for all the input and recommendation. Seeing the replies here, I need to rethink what are the needs and wants for this speaker I am going to get. Honestly, I started looking for a portable speaker just to hear better during meetings (my laptop audio is very poor, not kidding) and also to play light music in the background when I am not in meeting. Then I chanced upon speakers that has built-in microphone which make it a real conferencing device.

With many recommending proper speaker for conferencing use (come with dedicated buttons to talk / mute, accept / reject call, and multi-channel speaker for voice clarity, etc.)and my experience with Jabra Speak, I am now rethinking which one should I opt for (for music or for professional conference call). Preference is still a 2-in-1 (good voice quality + bass & treble for music) but I guess I am asking for the sky with a budget of just around $200+.

• Praise 1

5 hours ago, kobayashiGT said:

Actually Google Nest Mini or Amazon Echo is a good alternative for teleconference too. Cheap some more.

later accidentally say some key words trigger some funny replies from Google [laugh]

• Haha! 2

9 minutes ago, SGMCF328 said:

Thanks for all the input and recommendation. Seeing the replies here, I need to rethink what are the needs and wants for this speaker I am going to get. Honestly, I started looking for a portable speaker just to hear better during meetings (my laptop audio is very poor, not kidding) and also to play light music in the background when I am not in meeting. Then I chanced upon speakers that has built-in microphone which make it a real conferencing device.

With many recommending proper speaker for conferencing use (come with dedicated buttons to talk / mute, accept / reject call, and multi-channel speaker for voice clarity, etc.)and my experience with Jabra Speak, I am now rethinking which one should I opt for (for music or for professional conference call). Preference is still a 2-in-1 (good voice quality + bass & treble for music) but I guess I am asking for the sky with a budget of just around $200+.

Most BT speakers for music have so so mic. Conference speakers like Jabra speak are not good at playing music. So you need to prioritize your needs. 

I think Jabra speak is quite VFM as conference speakers. I go anywhere also see that speaker in conference rooms. I usually just plug in a 3.5mm earphone jack to my laptop for conference. Since you cant take earphones, i would suggest jabra speak for conference.

I have an Anker soundcore liberty motion plus BT speaker that can be used as speaker phone. I think it is okay as a speaker phone but it plays music quite well.

https://www.rtings.com/speaker/reviews/anker/soundcore-motion-plus

• Praise 1

Internal Moderator
28 minutes ago, Jman888 said:

later accidentally say some key words trigger some funny replies from Google [laugh]

Hahah. But they also have omni directional microphone that can pick up good voice.

10 hours ago, Genes said:

Jabra Speak 410/510

Sennheiser SP10T

Poly Sync 20

i think any of the above 3 would serve you well, imo.

I have both the Jabra 510 & Poly Sync 20, prefer the audio quality on the Poly Sync but don’t know why mine always automatically disconnects when using the wireless BT function, very annoying. The Jabra connectivity never has an issue, however the audio output is not as good as the Poly in IMHO.

• Praise 2

13 hours ago, neoki_29 said:

I have both the Jabra 510 & Poly Sync 20, prefer the audio quality on the Poly Sync but don’t know why mine always automatically disconnects when using the wireless BT function, very annoying. The Jabra connectivity never has an issue, however the audio output is not as good as the Poly in IMHO.

Yup. The BT on the Poly is a little bit fiddly, not sure why. Using it on the wired USB is okay. Sound is more HiFi than the Jabra. But the Jabra really just works.

• Praise 1

On 10/25/2021 at 5:25 PM, SGMCF328 said:

With many zoom and team meetings going on nowadays, am looking to get a portable speaker for conferencing needs. I am currently using headphone and earbuds but it can get really uncomfortable after prolong usage.

I have little experience with such speakers (I do use my colleague Jabra Speak occasionally) so don't know where to begin with. Chanced upon the Harman Kardon Traveler and JBL Flip 4 over the weekend at Courts, both (at $149) allows wireless phone conferencing and playing of music for up to 12 hours I was told.

For the 2 I mentioned, I find the JBL have too much of bass which may not be good for conference but music sound nice overall. HK set seems clearer in comparison but lack slightly in music quality (sounds a little hollow).

Anyone has any experience with these 2 speakers, or other model to recommend? My budget is up to $200 but of course the cheaper the better. Not looking for hifi sound but something better than those sub $100 portable speaker. TIA. 😊

I use this, cheap (less than $100) and good.

Buy a pair and you can hook it up like good old bookshelf.

https://www.tronsmart.com/products/tronsmart-element-mega-bluetooth-speaker

tronsmart-element-mega-bluetooth-speaker

• Praise 2

Turbocharged
(edited)

Thank you once again for all your comments and recommendations. Here's an update on my decision.

I eventually settled for the Anker PowerConf Bluetooth Speakerphone after much deliberation. Bought the set last year at below $100, from a colleague who got it from a lucky draw, wonder if he is lucky or I am luckier hahaha.

My primary need is still for online meetings (although it is much lesser now), and happy that the speaker allow me to speak and be heard clearly when I walk away to grab a drink, take stationary, print out, etc. Battery can last about 2 - 3 days before charging, if I use it for 4 - 5 hours daily. Overall, I will give it 7.5/10

Oh yah, forgot to mention about the music quality. Well, for a 3W speaker, music sound like those from a $20 - $30+ portable speaker, but the good thing is that there is no distortion when turning on to high volume (for testing purpose), so I would rate it 6/10

IMG_20230307_085014.thumb.jpg.c17a8eee069489561371c3bc2139273e.jpg

IMG_20230307_084740.thumb.jpg.49f9281da8967ccac0f4de4109943dc6.jpg 

Edited by SGMCF328
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3