Premium HDB Rules has 10 year MOP

RadX

8 minutes ago, Sturtles said:

Obviously if u die within MOP, meeting special conditions, u may choose to put in your will to sell back to HDB even before MOP is completed.

Bankruptcy and divorce are extraordinary circumstances. Having children is an extraordinary circumstance?

Not everyone has children will sell in 10 years, many of the HDB folks stay for decades.  If having  children like in your example,   then don't buy prime area,  I don't see where is the big issue.  This is a fair implementation, fact is there is a way to let go the flat under unique circumstances,  unless one intends to take advantage of the location to speculate using the flat, then it is a wrong intention to begin with. 

• Praise 3

31 minutes ago, Sturtles said:

@inlinesix thanks bro!

Was just weirded out by a fella claiming selling to HDB during MOP is a good option for folks 

Let's be objective, and no need to go to the extend of wishing one would die before MOP.  But just in case you are worried for me out of good intent, I am beyond MOP. I have never bought a new flat from HDB before, but I have no complaints aobut MOP policy.

And I did  not say it is a good option in case you read my post wrongly, I said there is an option to sell back to HDB. But I maintain my view that 10 years MOP is a good implementation. 

The purpose of MOP is to minimize or at best delay speculation of public housing before HDB flat reaching $2mil per unit. 

Edited by Ct3833
  • Praise 3

28 minutes ago, Ct3833 said:

Let's be objective, and no need to go to the extend of wishing one would die before MOP.  But just in case you are worried for me out of good intent, I am beyond MOP. I have never bought a new flat from HDB before, but I have no complaints aobut MOP policy.

And I did  not say it is a good option in case you read my post wrongly, I said there is an option to sell back to HDB. But I maintain my view that 10 years MOP is a good implementation. 

The purpose of MOP is to minimize or at best delay speculation of public housing before HDB flat reaching $2mil per unit. 

Fair!

I agree with your points in general

Not looking at HDB price becoming too onerous on the younger populace.

Those who have the means can always buy condos or resale flats.

Though that, I feel MOP needs to be tweaked.

ie. no hard restrictions on selling anytime during MOP regardless of life events or whim, but all profits, less CPF/Bank interest/ sunk costs will be taken back by HDB for nation building and not the owner’s pocket.

Edited by Sturtles
  • Praise 1

23 hours ago, Sturtles said:

Just my 2 worthless cents

HDB will amend this again in the future because

1. MOP is not the answer

- Housing needs change as a family progresses through life. 

A Couple who purchased a 3 room flat ( 2 functional bedrooms only) at 30 has to wait 5 years to build ( probably gets married and has 1-2 kid when he gets his keys)

Then as the 2nd/3rd kid comes along, he cannot sell his flat and right size to a more functional one till they are 45, and the kids are probably in secondary school with his son and daughter sharing rooms with the helper, which is complicated.

2. Where is the line of demarcation of prime area?

As an imaginary example, at HDB Jalan Besar, you have normal 5 year MOP at sane prices, then across the street, because of the prime land label, prices increase 20%, with 10 year MOP

- Same goes to Telok Blangah, Bukit Timah, Alexandra

3. regardless of how much HDB can practically price their 4room, flat, it will be 50-70% cheaper than surrounding condos, so the yield will be incredible.

- Surrounding Condos in Rochor is selling at $2800-$3000psf, and the max HDB can price their 4room flat is probably just $1000 psf

IMHO, the only way to balance these is to have reduced lease. Instead of 99years, a 60 year lease will reduce the upfront costs, but allow HDB eligible families to stay in exclusive areas.

Buyers of Prime land area have to be aware of this as it will reduce their retirement nest egg, and its a fair tradeoff for the convenience and prestige

HK leasehold are shorter, I read almost everything expires in 2047 but their valuation are much higher than SG.  High rental? 

On 10/27/2021 at 2:28 PM, 13177 said:

I believe many owners would illegally rent out the whole unit.

Rules onli apply to honest ppl......

• Haha! 1

5 hours ago, Soya said:

Rules onli apply to honest ppl......

Rules dont apply to dishonest people so pray all those will kena fined and their hdb confiscated becos they are not living in their hdb anyway

Edited by Throttle2
↡ Advertisement