Car that fits wife + 3 kids + helper?

Greengas

Hi everyone, was wondering if there are any of you here with 3 kids and a helper and if so, what's the car that you drive? Currently have 2 kids and 1 more on the way.

Do you guys find yourselves having to ferry your partner+3 kids+helper very often? I am driving a 5 seater and wondering if it is really necessary to change to a 7 seater...

Thanks!

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

11 minutes ago, Greengas said:

Hi everyone, was wondering if there are any of you here with 3 kids and a helper and if so, what's the car that you drive? Currently have 2 kids and 1 more on the way.

Do you guys find yourselves having to ferry your partner+3 kids+helper very often? I am driving a 5 seater and wondering if it is really necessary to change to a 7 seater...

Thanks!

Definitely a KIA Carnival, assuming you need a baby seat and 2 booster seats for all your kids.

With all 7/8 seats up, you'll still have lots of boot space for your pram/walker, and other miscellaneous things.

Edited by Eviltrap
  • Praise 3
  • Shocked 3

15 minutes ago, Greengas said:

Thanks!

Depends if you need car seats. Car seats take up one whole seat space. 

When my 3 kids were younger,  I had a helper also.  When we go out as a family,  which is usually once a week,  my wife will sit behind carrying the youngest,  the eldest one sits in front,  the 2nd child takes the middle seat,  and the helper takes right side.  

This arrangement can last until the youngest about 3-4 years old,  after that 3 kids and the maid sit behind without child seats.  

When they grow up older,  esp with boys,  5 seater with helper will be an issue liao...  [laugh][laugh][laugh]

Edited by Tianmo

Cat b big sitting cars going to be very very expensive 

cat a sure kena spill over from b

buy a 4 door pickup truck and ask helper to sit behind 

• Haha! 11

At this covid time probably less chance of going all out together cos can’t really go many places also. 

but with your family 6 pax strength, it looks like u definitely need a bigger capacity car. How to be able to fit into a 5 seater especially with baby chairs. 

My friend was in your situation(3rd kid now 3 months old) and changed to a XC90. Comfortable enough as per what he said. 
But stroller has to be a limited size cannot be those big big bulky one. 

The CX8/9 can be considered as well. 
I’m driving a CX 8 now and definitely can fit 6 pax or even 7 as long as the baby seats are not the gigantic ones. CX 9 definitely more comfortable. 

But of cos you would know better if you travel often enough with the whole family more than us. Not now maybe but post covid weekends should be more family activities? 

At least should have some time to consider before the economy opens up fully? 

• Praise 1

Internal Moderator
38 minutes ago, Greengas said:

Thanks!

Congrats on your growing family!

I don't think your car can fit when you have a newborn on its way. Maybe really need to change to a bigger car.

I think sienta or honda freed is a good alternative without breaking the bank.

But then because of the current covid situation, maybe a growing family might not be so car dependent also. I not sure because I am single. 🤣

But good to sit down and think about it. 3 kids, 1 maid and 1 car commitment damn chor alrd. hahaha.

Internal Moderator
10 minutes ago, Mustank said:

But van lah. aiyo. hahaha

• Haha! 4

(edited)

58 minutes ago, Jamesc said:

Toyota Sienta you need new or used?

:D

I got lobang

55 minutes ago, Macrosszero said:

Also can consider Honda Freed, if your budget is bigger and you don’t want to appear boring then you could also consider the Mazda CX-8 or Mercedes GLB

47 minutes ago, Stratovarius said:

Stepwagon? my area got one with some mild aesthetics mods. Looks nice and sporty. 

53 minutes ago, Eviltrap said:

Definitely a KIA Carnival, assuming you need a baby seat and 2 booster seats for all your kids.

With all 7/8 seats up, you'll still have lots of boot space for your pram/walker, and other miscellaneous things.

Thanks for the suggestions. Am reluctant to change to bread van type 7 seater although probably the most practical...see already also sian.

KIA Carnival not bad but 2k road tax / yr and I don't drive enough to make it economical.

Mazda CX-8 / Merc GLB / Skoda Kodiaq are in the shortlist but honestly at ~$200+k at current COE levels for the lowest trim and also not the easiest access to 3rd row for 7 seater SUVs, not sure if it is worth it. Might consider Peugeot 5008 instead.

46 minutes ago, Tianmo said:

Depends if you need car seats. Car seats take up one whole seat space. 

When my 3 kids were younger,  I had a helper also.  When we go out as a family,  which is usually once a week,  my wife will sit behind carrying the youngest,  the eldest one sits in front,  the 2nd child takes the middle seat,  and the helper takes right side.  

This arrangement can last until the youngest about 3-4 years old,  after that 3 kids and the maid sit behind without child seats.  

When they grow up older,  esp with boys,  5 seater with helper will be an issue liao...  [laugh][laugh][laugh]

Good to hear real world experience...That's what I was thinking too, one kid will need to sit on either helper or wife. Or helper sit on wife/ wife sit on helper?  😆

I need car seats but I think I still can do this, just that it will be a little tight...my current plan is to try living with the 5 seater and only change if it really doesn't work out...

Edited by Greengas
  • Praise 2

13 minutes ago, Mustank said:

Yes the CAT B large SUVs are starting to become out of reach...will pass on the pickup truck recommendation to my wife

10 minutes ago, Dp26 said:

At this covid time probably less chance of going all out together cos can’t really go many places also. 

but with your family 6 pax strength, it looks like u definitely need a bigger capacity car. How to be able to fit into a 5 seater especially with baby chairs. 

My friend was in your situation(3rd kid now 3 months old) and changed to a XC90. Comfortable enough as per what he said. 
But stroller has to be a limited size cannot be those big big bulky one. 

The CX8/9 can be considered as well. 
I’m driving a CX 8 now and definitely can fit 6 pax or even 7 as long as the baby seats are not the gigantic ones. CX 9 definitely more comfortable. 

But of cos you would know better if you travel often enough with the whole family more than us. Not now maybe but post covid weekends should be more family activities? 

At least should have some time to consider before the economy opens up fully? 

How's the CX8? Looks good, but FC seems quite bad (read somewhere 8km/l?) but maybe all the 7 seaters are about there? 

Would love to get the XC90 but at $300+k maybe I buy another 5 seater instead haha. 

Yes I will probably need to give it some more thought and see if we really need all 6 of us in the car at the same time...I would imagine that it would be come kind of combination but not more than 5 given current circumstances

11 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said:

Congrats on your growing family!

I don't think your car can fit when you have a newborn on its way. Maybe really need to change to a bigger car.

I think sienta or honda freed is a good alternative without breaking the bank.

But then because of the current covid situation, maybe a growing family might not be so car dependent also. I not sure because I am single. 🤣

But good to sit down and think about it. 3 kids, 1 maid and 1 car commitment damn chor alrd. hahaha.

Thanks! Yes very chor haha.

• Haha! 2

4 minutes ago, Greengas said:

How's the CX8? Looks good, but FC seems quite bad (read somewhere 8km/l?) but maybe all the 7 seaters are about there? 

Would love to get the XC90 but at $300+k maybe I buy another 5 seater instead haha. 

Yes I will probably need to give it some more thought and see if we really need all 6 of us in the car at the same time...I would imagine that it would be come kind of combination but not more than 5 given current circumstances

FC definitely not great and it’s about there 8ish Km/l. Not sure all 7 seaters are at this FC but non hybrid/electric options shouldn’t be too far off from this reading, unless you do a lot of HY driving. But if you drive full load often then maybe also can’t run away from this FC. 

if you can confirm not adding more members on the near future then can consider the 6 seater also. Haha. Middle row has an opening easy for kids to walk to 3rd row. (Read that you find the 3rd row a bit of hassle going in) 

But yes, cat B COE not at its cheapest now so working around the budget is also important, especially with another mouth to feed! 

What kind of question is this anyway?

Every passenger in the car is by law required to be belted up. Babiesn toddlers, below 135cm needs a baby chair or booster.

Definitely need a MPV if you have more then 5 people.

• Praise 5

9 minutes ago, Wildfaye29 said:

What kind of question is this anyway?

Every passenger in the car is by law required to be belted up. Babiesn toddlers, below 135cm needs a baby chair or booster.

Definitely need a MPV if you have more then 5 people.

Ah yes of course I forgot about the law. Yup will definitely need to find a way of either not having everyone in the car at the same time or change car.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1