Original Lambo Countach designer condemns new Countach

enzoalec92

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a38053213/countach-designer-denounces-the-new-model/

"Countach Designer Marcello Gandini Denounces the New Model
"To repeat a model of the past represents in my opinion the negation of the founding principles of my DNA."

In his time at Bertone, Marcello Gandini was credited as the designer behind masterpieces like the Alfa Romeo Montreal, the Lancia Stratos, and the E12-generation BMW 5-Series. His most famous works, though, were Lamborghinis. His most famous? The Countach. Gandini, however, wants to stress that he was in no way involved with the design and production of the upcoming tribute model, the Lamborghini Countach LPI 800-4.

The confusion stems from a video interview Gandini did this June. He was presented with a scale model of the upcoming car that he was told represented a tribute to be shown at Pebble Beach. He was not, however, told that this car would be put into limited production and sold to the public as a continuation. The video was used in promotion of the new car anyway, so Gandini sent out a letter denouncing both the clip and the new Countach project itself.

In the letter, he stresses that he was in no way involved with the new car. He goes further, though; he says the car itself does not "reflect his spirit and his vision." Gandini adds:

I have built my identity as a designer, especially when working on supercars for Lamborghini, on a unique concept: each new model I would work on would be an innovation, a breaker, something completely different from the previous one. Courage, the ability to create a break without sticking to the success of the previous car, the confidence of not wanting to give in to habit were the very essence of my work. It is clear that markets and marketing itself has changed a lot since then, but as far as I am concerned, to repeat a model of the past, represents in my opinion the negation of the founding principles of my DNA.

Whether or not the Countach is more than a cynical cash grab, it is a design tribute that is not actually endorsed by the designer it is paying tribute to. That makes for an awkward collectible, particularly when that collectible sold out at a price of $2.64 million months ago."

Wah chor sia, the fact that the original designer of the legendary supercar for many kids back in the day actually came out and openly criticised it shows how Lambo really messed up on this new version. I was quite shocked they were willing to touch the nameplate when they first unveiled the new model in August.

It's as good as playing with fire, even if they end up nailing it. I'm sure I'm not the only one disappointed after finding out it was "just" a hybrid and shares the same chassis and engine as the Aventador, which by now is 10 years old. Also, the design leaves a lot to be desired, since it's missing design cues and elements which made the original so great. Check out this video by Frank Stephenson, renowned designer of cars like the "new" Mini Cooper, Ferrari 430, McLaren 12C, etc.: 

Out of the company's entire catalogue, the 2 standout models are the Miura and Countach. Even though the Miura was the first "supercar", the Countach probably represents Lambo the best in many people's eyes, since it perfectly encapsulates their bat💩 madness especially during the height of the '80s cocaine era (i.e. Cannonball Run and Miami Vice). Seems like they ended up getting burnt in this case, but then again, my opinion doesn't matter since I'm too poor to afford anything LOL.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Aiyah, I think Lambo just did not pay him for this model lah. If he was told they going to re-launch and tell him to give advice and also pay him. Then it would not happen this way liao😂

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

In my opinion, Lambo pays him to design the first model. Then the IP and everything belongs to Lambo. Today Lambo say we going to use back the name. Actually what can he say. He cannot say the design is his, cos he did not rent out the name "Countach". He was working for Lambo and I believe Lambo owns all the "Countach" 

The same thing will happen to me too, I work for this company, they design a machine under my care, we make a lot of money for the company. But all these will belong to the company. I cannot go out and say anything also😂

Just like when in Fox, someone told me he is designer of Iphone. I pui at him😝

• Praise 3

1 hour ago, Inlinefour said:

like that iPhone designer really must bang ball liao :grin:

every gen almost the same one :XD:

And the original designer was probably fired immediately after he designed the phone after meeting Steve Jobs in an elevator. 😁

• Haha! 1

23 hours ago, Arogab said:

Aiyah, I think Lambo just did not pay him for this model lah. If he was told they going to re-launch and tell him to give advice and also pay him. Then it would not happen this way liao😂

22 hours ago, Arogab said:

In my opinion, Lambo pays him to design the first model. Then the IP and everything belongs to Lambo. Today Lambo say we going to use back the name. Actually what can he say. He cannot say the design is his, cos he did not rent out the name "Countach". He was working for Lambo and I believe Lambo owns all the "Countach" 

The same thing will happen to me too, I work for this company, they design a machine under my care, we make a lot of money for the company. But all these will belong to the company. I cannot go out and say anything also😂

Just like when in Fox, someone told me he is designer of Iphone. I pui at him😝

21 hours ago, Turboflat4 said:

Somebody is salty. 

As you all have pointed out, I can imagine if he were asked to do the redesign, he wouldn't have been so negatively vocal about it. That being said, I still doubt he would've done it anyway, since the original is sacred and he would've been aware of the travesty of doing it. And besides, he's rich AF so he doesn't need the money, so in the end, we'd still end up with the same result LOL.

• Haha! 1

26 minutes ago, enzoalec92 said:

As you all have pointed out, I can imagine if he were asked to do the redesign, he wouldn't have been so negatively vocal about it. That being said, I still doubt he would've done it anyway, since the original is sacred and he would've been aware of the travesty of doing it. And besides, he's rich AF so he doesn't need the money, so in the end, we'd still end up with the same result LOL.

Nobody will say I got enough money and I don't want liao. Who knows behind he was asked to do it and he ask for a high value that Lambo decide to give to other. Haha. 

Anyway, hope he is not getting into any trouble with Lambo that's all. After all, everyone can KPKB on anything they don't like. Nothing wrong as long as you don't get into financial compensation. Haha

35 minutes ago, Arogab said:

Nobody will say I got enough money and I don't want liao. Who knows behind he was asked to do it and he ask for a high value that Lambo decide to give to other. Haha. 

Anyway, hope he is not getting into any trouble with Lambo that's all. After all, everyone can KPKB on anything they don't like. Nothing wrong as long as you don't get into financial compensation. Haha

Actually, an example of someone creative not wanting to work too hard cos rich enough is George R R Martin. Those last two books of the A Song of Ice and Fire are basically never coming out. Show also done finish liao. 

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

1 hour ago, Arogab said:

That's certainly a possibility, but I still don't think someone with his impressive list of accomplishments is too bothered with the financial incentives of designing a remake at the cost of tarnishing his own reputation as well as that of the original car's nameplate.

Lambo likely won't sue him, since it'll be terrible PR on their part for biting the proverbial hand that fed them such notoriety throughout the '70s and '80s to be able to thrive till today. Then again, I have been wrong about things I was more sure about. 🤷‍♂️

• Praise 1

On 10/28/2021 at 4:40 PM, enzoalec92 said:

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a38053213/countach-designer-denounces-the-new-model/

"Countach Designer Marcello Gandini Denounces the New Model
"To repeat a model of the past represents in my opinion the negation of the founding principles of my DNA."

In his time at Bertone, Marcello Gandini was credited as the designer behind masterpieces like the Alfa Romeo Montreal, the Lancia Stratos, and the E12-generation BMW 5-Series. His most famous works, though, were Lamborghinis. His most famous? The Countach. Gandini, however, wants to stress that he was in no way involved with the design and production of the upcoming tribute model, the Lamborghini Countach LPI 800-4.

The confusion stems from a video interview Gandini did this June. He was presented with a scale model of the upcoming car that he was told represented a tribute to be shown at Pebble Beach. He was not, however, told that this car would be put into limited production and sold to the public as a continuation. The video was used in promotion of the new car anyway, so Gandini sent out a letter denouncing both the clip and the new Countach project itself.

In the letter, he stresses that he was in no way involved with the new car. He goes further, though; he says the car itself does not "reflect his spirit and his vision." Gandini adds:

Whether or not the Countach is more than a cynical cash grab, it is a design tribute that is not actually endorsed by the designer it is paying tribute to. That makes for an awkward collectible, particularly when that collectible sold out at a price of $2.64 million months ago."

I think 🤔 f they put it to Dna , only blatant dishonesty of flogging the countach can be counted as against all principles will be to made a MPV version of it .

else it’s just another person interpretation of the new norm of a countach

Edited by Sdf4786k

On 10/30/2021 at 9:50 AM, Sdf4786k said:

I think 🤔 f they put it to Dna , only blatant dishonesty of flogging the countach can be counted as against all principles will be to made a MPV version of it .

else it’s just another person interpretation of the new norm of a countach

That's a fair point but since the Urus already exists, there's no reason to desecrate the Countach any further. That being said, design and taste are subjective, so I still stand by my opinion that it doesn't come close to living up to the original Countach's status or reputation.

42 minutes ago, enzoalec92 said:

That's a fair point but since the Urus already exists, there's no reason to desecrate the Countach any further. That being said, design and taste are subjective, so I still stand by my opinion that it doesn't come close to living up to the original Countach's status or reputation.

Missing MPV in the line up. Only SUV is available 

1 hour ago, Sdf4786k said:

Missing MPV in the line up. Only SUV is available 

Oh right, I completely overlooked it, my bad. Nevertheless, MPVs are an absolute impossibility for them LOL. Not even Porsche, pioneer of the supercar-turned-SUV-makers with its Cayenne, has ventured into this category and it will be the end of the marque if they do!

↡ Advertisement