No touchscreens for some BMWs

enzoalec92

https://jalopnik.com/your-new-bmw-might-not-have-a-touchscreen-1848005622

<Your New BMW Might Not Have A Touchscreen
Infotainment isn't going away, but using 'the screen' as a touchscreen in some new BMWs is.

BMW is shipping new cars with its infotainment system, like normal, except several models won’t have touchscreen functionality, according to reports. Instead, you’ll have to use BMW’s iDrive control in the center console. The horror!

I joke, but Autoblog got confirmation from BMW on the following:

Certain models are going to lose their touchscreen functionality to save silicon and allow BMW to maintain its current production levels. The news broke on the Bimmerfest forum, but BMW has since confirmed it to both Edmunds and us.

The following models are going to be shipped without touchscreen functionality.

• BMW 3 Series
  • BMW 4 Series Coupe, Convertible and Gran Coupe (excluding the i4)
  • BMW X5
  • BMW X6
  • BMW X7
  • BMW Z4

Autoblog also says that customers will get a $500 credit instead of the functionality, which really may be a blessing in disguise for everyone involved, given that touchscreens in cars are generally bad and useless, or at least I have never encountered one that wasn’t, if it can be controlled any other way. And I do mean the touchscreen functionality, specifically, given that the screens in modern cars are often sort of far away and small and the touchscreen experience isn’t how you might imagine it. Which is to say that it isn’t at all like using an iPad. It is like using an iPad but 100 times clunkier, even if it looks cool momentarily while the salesperson fiddles around with it at the dealer.

Also, it puts smudges on the screen of your fancy new BMW, and BMW’s iDrive controller is what you will use while driving, anyway. What has actually happened here is that the chip shortage has forced BMW to marginally improve its cars, even if BMW would not agree. You also know that it’s good because it is the opposite direction in which Mercedes is headed. Long live iDrive, I say.>

Am I the only one who hates touchscreens and actually likes using dials and whatnot to navigate cars' infotainment systems? I find that it's so much harder to tap on the screen with accuracy just to change the station or bring up certain options, especially when the car's moving.

I've also encountered enough drivers veering out of their lanes, only to abruptly swerve the car back into lane, due to distractedly fiddling with their screens to feel that this lack of touchscreen functionality is a win for reducing the number of such incidents LOL.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 6

In my F44 , with the latest iDrive, I use the controller all the time, it's quite intuitive, nvr saw the need for the touch screen, plus, with the stock run flats the ride is firm so it's gonna be next to impossible to use a touchscreen accurately and safely on the move hahaha

• Praise 8

36 minutes ago, SiLangKia said:

In my F44 , with the latest iDrive, I use the controller all the time, it's quite intuitive, nvr saw the need for the touch screen, plus, with the stock run flats the ride is firm so it's gonna be next to impossible to use a touchscreen accurately and safely on the move hahaha

Thank you for affirming I'm not the only one who finds touchscreens completely unnecessary! :a-toast:

• Praise 4

1 hour ago, SiLangKia said:

Touch screens being high specs high tech is absolute rubbish. Touch screen controls save lots of manufacturing costs from physical buttons to wire harness to connectors to assembly labour.  While charging consumers more. My next buy probably will be BMW, it they retain the knob controller.

Edited by Volvobrick
  • Praise 7

your iD7 controller knob on 2GC can draw or write on it right [drivingcar]

7 minutes ago, Volvobrick said:

Touch screens being high specs high tech is absolute rubbish. Touch screen controls save lots of manufacturing costs from physical buttons to wire harness to connectors to assembly labour.  While charging consumers more. My next buy probably will be BMW, it they retain the knob controller.

Ya, it's just a fancy-schmancy way of cutting costs for alot of manufacturers. For the current 7.0 system, all use knob controllers, BMW is also retaining it for most of the upcoming models with the new 8.0 system as of current info (iX, i4) , bar the 2 active tourer which does away with the rotay knob controller

• Praise 4

8 minutes ago, Inlinefour said:

Ya but the writing damn annoying, faster to scroll and click or just use voice input with the intelligent personal assistant

• Praise 3
  • Haha! 2

3 minutes ago, SiLangKia said:

Ya but the writing damn annoying, faster to scroll and click or just use voice input with the intelligent personal assistant

errr m235gc huh :inlove:sibay fast furious one :yuush:

• Haha! 2

Yeah

i prefer controller 

dun wan finger prints la gaha

• Praise 3
  • Haha! 1

22 minutes ago, Inlinefour said:

Mine can lick haha

• Haha! 4

10 minutes ago, Toeknee_33 said:

What's next? Power windows and central locking delete? 

These two items won't be. They still use physical buttons to operate. [thumbsup]

Edited by DOBIEMKZ
  • Praise 1

24 minutes ago, Toeknee_33 said:

What's next? Power windows and central locking delete? 

actually i like manual windows. save weight and never spoils.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

when using the qwerty kb (eg. for logging in, typing in address) on id7, it will be faster to use the touchscreen than the dial to scroll through the characters.

↡ Advertisement