Extend retirement age? Maybe it's time to think about that from another perspective

Windwaver

(edited)
1 hour ago, Voodooman said:

I must be in the wrong company or sector, while I like my boss’ bigger pay package and less grindy role, I never want to step into his role, knowing what he has to deal with day in day out on 24/7 basis. 

1 hour ago, 13177 said:

I believe most sector/company, those boss level with big pay package sure not easy on the work they have to deal with. If dont like or afraid to deal with such work, then have to settle on a lower level with lower pay package liao. Lol. Difficult to find high pay but work is easy.

how do you guys define 'big pay package' given the amount of work/pressure they have to deal with?

how much would you expect your pay to be for you to accept their level of pressure/stress? not referring to those big pay do nothing (dream job) kind of role.

250k pa? 500kpa? 1mil pa?

if the size of the salary package is not defined, you guys could well be comparing mangoes, apples and oranges.

Edited by flat6
↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1

Hypersonic
55 minutes ago, Hoseyboh said:

Unker, he same as you... 

Merdeka liao... 🤣

Ya lor ….. Senoir Unker….. U know bestest …… Waaaah long time no C U 🤣

• Haha! 1

Supersonic
1 hour ago, flat6 said:

how do you guys define 'big pay package' given the amount of work/pressure they have to deal with?

how much would you expect your pay to be for you to accept their level of pressure/stress? not referring to those big pay do nothing (dream job) kind of role.

250k pa? 500kpa? 1mil pa?

if the size of the salary package is not defined, you guys could well be comparing mangoes, apples and oranges.

For a person who is part of the decision maker in a company, at least the pay package must be 250k pa.

1 hour ago, 13177 said:

For a person who is part of the decision maker in a company, at least the pay package must be 250k pa.

too low .... seriously ... not even 1/2 a peanut ... [speechless]

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

Supersonic
4 hours ago, Voodooman said:

I must be in the wrong company or sector, while I like my boss’ bigger pay package and less grindy role, I never want to step into his role, knowing what he has to deal with day in day out on 24/7 basis. 

My boss keeps wanting to give me big sexy projects, saying it's good for my career development.   I keep telling him I don't need extra money, and I don't want extra responsibility.   Just let me do what I am comfortable with and I will deliver all my KPIs.  Have been in the job long enough that I can do my work the way I like, no need to really work too hard, probably operating at about 50-60% of my real capacity and still do well enough that my bosses like me and appreciate my contributions.   So very happy with current situation since I am the no.2 and all the responsibility lies with my boss.  

• Praise 9
  • Haha! 2

Hypersonic
(edited)
11 hours ago, Picnic06-Biante15 said:

I am more in favor of early retirement. :we-all-gonna-die:

Retire all across the board at 65. :wut:

Those sitting at the top in private or public sectors likes bosses, directors, dy directors, managers, asst managers who doesn't wants to retire (cos after so many years, pay fat fat, do nothing but only give instructions & allocation of responsibilities to others) the rest could not move up the ranking.  

At 65, their CPF kau kau and can it at home looking after grandchildren. Why occupy & deprive others from promotion. At best, step aside and work as the company consultant (pay per consultation). 

The above is my personal view cos I am also a "victim of circumstances" in my previous job ...... :lll._.:

Now I am reaching 65 next year and already alerted them of my retirement plan and should start looking for someone to train & take over me. Given them 12 months lead start to search for one. 😔

Where you going after retirement? 

海南岛?😁

If really earned enuff, retire and go travel. Don’t wait till 70s then travel but struggling to walk and climb. 

Edited by Fcw75
  • Praise 3
  • Haha! 1

Hypersonic
5 hours ago, Voodooman said:

Trade your time for inner peace? Not sure entering a religious / grandfather order is my type of retirement but I guess so long as your time is your time and you are happy doing the “chores”, then it is ok. 

Who are the retirees here? Perhaps can share your thoughts? Think in our competitive society, not many wants to admit they are retired for good. It is always “I am a consultant” or I am managing my investment”.   

You are chatting with him lor. 🤣

• Haha! 1

8 hours ago, Fcw75 said:

Where you going after retirement? 

海南岛?😁

If really earned enuff, retire and go travel. Don’t wait till 70s then travel but struggling to walk and climb. 

Only when China open its border.....  :we-all-gonna-die:

Planning to stay for 4 months to upgrade my father single storey house..... 🙂 

• Praise 3

Turbocharged
15 hours ago, Wt_know said:

too low .... seriously ... not even 1/2 a peanut ... [speechless]

Cannot even compare to a FT how to consider as 'high'? One Mrs already given a guideline, peanut level liao 

Turbocharged
18 hours ago, Kb27 said:

got money can retire

no money cannot retire

simple maths

It also depends on what you mean by retired. In Singapore context, it is actually stop working and having no income, not retired. So, no money, no income, will have to beg lor

• Praise 1

(edited)
19 hours ago, Kb27 said:

got money can retire

no money cannot retire

simple maths

Got job cannot retire even got money 😂 

no job force to retire even no money

Edited by Ginyu

https://mothership.sg/2023/08/aussie-12-millionaire-retire-singapore-party

Australian girl, 12, a millionaire, throws party before retiring & moving to S'pore

What's the weather like up there?

Untitled-design-37.png

Australian social media influencer and entrepreneur, Pixie Curtis, is retiring at the tender young age of 12 -- about 60 years ahead of schedule.

Together with her mother, Roxy Jacenko, Curtis co-founded Pixie's Fidgets in 2021 — a multi-million dollar toy empire that designed and sold sensory toys for children who struggled to pay attention.

By 2023, Curtis' monthly earnings were estimated to be US$133,000 (S$178,714), reported The Economic Times.

The kid was even said to own a Mercedes-Benz, though she isn't old enough to drive it yet.

Having secured a veritable fortune in the bank, the ex-CEO is now retiring to focus on her education in Singapore.

Move to Singapore

Jacenko initiated the family's move from Sydney to Singapore so that they could live with her husband, Oliver Curtis, who currently works in Asia.

The man spent a year between 2016 and 2017 in prison for insider trading in New South Wales, according to the Australian Financial Review.

The family has rented a luxury apartment near Orchard Road, and Curtis and her nine-year-old brother, Hunter, will reportedly be attending an international school in Singapore.

Speaking to The Sydney Morning Herald, 42-year-old Jacenko, socialite and founder of the Sweaty Betty PR firm, basked in her supposed anonymity in Singapore.

“I was trying to get a restaurant booking in Singapore, it was a popular place. I don’t have much trouble with that in Sydney, but in Singapore it was a matter of ‘Roxy who?’ I actually found it really refreshing and a bit liberating. No one knows me there, no one has any preconceived idea of who or what I am, no one has any expectation, and best of all, no one actually cares!"

"Singapore" party

Ahead of her move to Singapore, Curtis threw an opulent birthday bash at Sydney's five-star Crown Hotel to bid farewell to her friends in Australia.

She offered followers a glimpse of high society by uploading an Instagram reel of the party, featuring goodie bags, floral arrangements, and guests giddy with delight.

Her mother dubbed the whole affair to be "Singaporean-themed".

The colours red and white were present, at least, but not much else could be recognised as "Singaporean" by Singaporeans.

• Shocked 2

On 8/3/2023 at 9:35 PM, Windwaver said:

Australian girl, 12, a millionaire, throws party before retiring & moving to S'pore

Untitled-design-37.png

Australian social media influencer and entrepreneur, Pixie Curtis, is retiring at the tender young age of 12 -- about 60 years ahead of schedule.

Together with her mother, Roxy Jacenko, Curtis co-founded Pixie's Fidgets in 2021 — a multi-million dollar toy empire that designed and sold sensory toys for children who struggled to pay attention.

By 2023, Curtis' monthly earnings were estimated to be US$133,000 (S$178,714), reported The Economic Times.

The kid was even said to own a Mercedes-Benz, though she isn't old enough to drive it yet.

Having secured a veritable fortune in the bank, the ex-CEO is now retiring to focus on her education in Singapore.

Move to Singapore

Jacenko initiated the family's move from Sydney to Singapore so that they could live with her husband, Oliver Curtis, who currently works in Asia.

The man spent a year between 2016 and 2017 in prison for insider trading in New South Wales, according to the Australian Financial Review.

The family has rented a luxury apartment near Orchard Road, and Curtis and her nine-year-old brother, Hunter, will reportedly be attending an international school in Singapore.

Speaking to The Sydney Morning Herald, 42-year-old Jacenko, socialite and founder of the Sweaty Betty PR firm, basked in her supposed anonymity in Singapore.

“I was trying to get a restaurant booking in Singapore, it was a popular place. I don’t have much trouble with that in Sydney, but in Singapore it was a matter of ‘Roxy who?’ I actually found it really refreshing and a bit liberating. No one knows me there, no one has any preconceived idea of who or what I am, no one has any expectation, and best of all, no one actually cares!"

"Singapore" party

Ahead of her move to Singapore, Curtis threw an opulent birthday bash at Sydney's five-star Crown Hotel to bid farewell to her friends in Australia.

She offered followers a glimpse of high society by uploading an Instagram reel of the party, featuring goodie bags, floral arrangements, and guests giddy with delight.

The colours red and white were present, at least, but not much else could be recognised as "Singaporean" by Singaporeans.

Sian lah, another one

• Haha! 1

On 7/5/2022 at 7:20 PM, 13177 said:

Sorry to be more than ayear late on this reply. 
depends on the size of the company. 
if $250kpa for top level decision maker, that would be like a very decent hdb shop unit or maybe a small factory with 5 workers probably.

otherwise $250kpa is still normal employee pay…. 

• Shocked 2

On 8/3/2023 at 9:35 PM, Windwaver said:

Untitled-design-37.png

Move to Singapore

"Singapore" party

To escape Australian crazy tax regime?

• Haha! 2

On 8/4/2023 at 10:28 AM, Throttle2 said:

Sorry to be more than ayear late on this reply. 
depends on the size of the company. 
if $250kpa for top level decision maker, that would be like a very decent hdb shop unit or maybe a small factory with 5 workers probably.

otherwise $250kpa is still normal employee pay…. 

Depends on sectors, I know of a GM of a manufacturing company with 200 staff and the pay is $20k a month.  A middle management bank staff earn as much but got way less decision making power. 

On 7/5/2022 at 10:09 AM, Picnic06-Biante15 said:

I am more in favor of early retirement. :we-all-gonna-die:

Retire all across the board at 65. :wut:

Those sitting at the top in private or public sectors likes bosses, directors, dy directors, managers, asst managers who doesn't wants to retire (cos after so many years, pay fat fat, do nothing but only give instructions & allocation of responsibilities to others) the rest could not move up the ranking.  

At 65, their CPF kau kau and can it at home looking after grandchildren. Why occupy & deprive others from promotion. At best, step aside and work as the company consultant (pay per consultation). 

The above is my personal view cos I am also a "victim of circumstances" in my previous job ...... :lll._.:

Now I am reaching 65 next year and already alerted them of my retirement plan and should start looking for someone to train & take over me. Given them 12 months lead start to search for one. 😔

Curious if your retirement plan has worked out, now you in Hainan Island shaking legs?

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 2