Stay of execution for Drug trafficker due to Covid!

Beregond

Internal Moderator
4 hours ago, Beregond said:

yes very ionic in this case. they will cure him and proceed to hang him .

he appeal many time. main excuse is low iq. but the police got evidence to prove he know what he is doing, so i believe he mostly cannot escape.

i think even if he fall sick from other illness before he is hang, they will delay it also . 

Iconic or ironic? 😶

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 5

14 minutes ago, BabyBlade said:

Iconic or ironic? 😶

pwah now become grammar police liao

yea, damn iconic that covid saves lives 

• Haha! 1

4 hours ago, Watwheels said:

Previously a M'sian teenager was also sentenced to hang for drug trafficking.

https://ink.library.smu.edu.sg/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=3195&context=sol_research#:~:text=Singapore's President may grant pardons,discretion in deciding the matter%3F

The presidential pardon or clemency was rejected. Appeal also got rejected.

For those interested, the last time a presidential pardon was given for a person sentenced to die was during Ong Teng Cheong's time.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital_punishment_in_Singapore

Not sure why the following presidents did not even have one on their record though I read President Halimah did pardon one person but that person was not a death row inmate.

chance upon this video about a drug addict. 

its a very sad 1 . so dun watch if u dun want your mood spoil

Spoiler

i got a older cousin that is a drug addict since teens, in and out of jail non stop. close to 60 now . destroy the whole life

my neighbour at work ( move out a few years ago) after taking drug, will just sleep bare body on the road. he got a uncle that is a big shot who bail him out non stop. 

once we loosen our tolerance on drugs, thats it for us. give 1 will become 2 , become 3 

• Praise 5

57 minutes ago, Philipkee said:

For those interested, the last time a presidential pardon was given for a person sentenced to die was during Ong Teng Cheong's time.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital_punishment_in_Singapore

Not sure why the following presidents did not even have one on their record though I read President Halimah did pardon one person but that person was not a death row inmate.

I think the President that Pardon a Death Sentence is President Wee Kim Wee,not Ong Teng Cheong.

21 minutes ago, ER-3682 said:

I think the President that Pardon a Death Sentence is President Wee Kim Wee,not Ong Teng Cheong.

1998: Mathavakannan Kalimuthu, a Singaporean convicted of murder and sentenced to death in 1996 along with his two friends. After losing their appeals in 1997, the three of them petitioned to President Ong Teng Cheong for clemency in 1998. The President accepted only Mathavakannan's plea so his sentence was commuted to life imprisonment; the other two had their pleas rejected and were subsequently executed. Mathavakannan was eventually released in 2012 after spending about 16 years in prison.[1

• Praise 2

Hope all the JLBs don’t undo Sgp’s strict no nonsense approach to Drugs trafficking and consumption…

Next time, all the drug lords will use low IQ mules to ferry drugs.. 

• Praise 4

22 hours ago, Beregond said:

saw this news. i think very funny, i dun want to debate on whether he deserve to be hang

but they delay his hanging because he is tested positive for cov19

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/un-experts-urge-singapore-halt-malaysians-execution-2021-11-09/

Singapore grants 11th-hour stay of execution for Malaysian with COVID-19

For those who don't know the full story, this guy has been on death row for over a decade for smuggling drugs into Singapore. While drug trafficking is punishable by death, there are a lot of components to his story that complicates the situation.

The reason why he smuggled drugs when he was 21 was that back then, his father fell ill and he needed money urgently for an operation. Coming from a poor family, he had no choice but to seek help from moneylenders (keep in mind that he only wanted to borrow RM 500). There was a man named K who agreed to lend him the money if he completed a favour for him - smuggle in drugs into Singapore. Initially, he didn't want to do it but K sent him death threats daily, saying that he will kill the man's father and girlfriend if he didn't comply. 

And yes, although it does say that authorities believe he knew what he was doing, they tested his IQ and it came out to 69 (average is 90 - 109). This level has been recognised as one having an intellectual disability. The case has attracted global attention with legal experts, human rights groups, the European Union and even British entrepreneur Richard Branson urging the Singapore government to review the sentence. In a rare intervention, Malaysian Prime Minister Ismail Sabri and other senior politicians in Malaysia have also appealed to Singapore over the case.

This is because, under international law, it is apparently illegal to execute a mentally ill or impaired individual. So the question that stands now is if it is right to execute someone who was used as a drug trafficking mule, even if he lacks the ability to properly comprehend what is happening around him?

TBH, while the government rolls out this statement about prolonging his stay due to COVID, I also suspect that it is because the judges need time to review all of these appeals that they are getting from international officials as well. This has become a very high profile case and if they don't handle it properly, we would be under harsh criticism and scrutiny. 😅

• Praise 16

47 minutes ago, unicornfloof said:

For those who don't know the full story, this guy has been on death row for over a decade for smuggling drugs into Singapore. While drug trafficking is punishable by death, there are a lot of components to his story that complicates the situation.

The reason why he smuggled drugs when he was 21 was that back then, his father fell ill and he needed money urgently for an operation. Coming from a poor family, he had no choice but to seek help from moneylenders (keep in mind that he only wanted to borrow RM 500). There was a man named K who agreed to lend him the money if he completed a favour for him - smuggle in drugs into Singapore. Initially, he didn't want to do it but K sent him death threats daily, saying that he will kill the man's father and girlfriend if he didn't comply. 

And yes, although it does say that authorities believe he knew what he was doing, they tested his IQ and it came out to 69 (average is 90 - 109). This level has been recognised as one having an intellectual disability. The case has attracted global attention with legal experts, human rights groups, the European Union and even British entrepreneur Richard Branson urging the Singapore government to review the sentence. In a rare intervention, Malaysian Prime Minister Ismail Sabri and other senior politicians in Malaysia have also appealed to Singapore over the case.

This is because, under international law, it is apparently illegal to execute a mentally ill or impaired individual. So the question that stands now is if it is right to execute someone who was used as a drug trafficking mule, even if he lacks the ability to properly comprehend what is happening around him?

TBH, while the government rolls out this statement about prolonging his stay due to COVID, I also suspect that it is because the judges need time to review all of these appeals that they are getting from international officials as well. This has become a very high profile case and if they don't handle it properly, we would be under harsh criticism and scrutiny. 😅

frankly i pity his case.

but there are millions of such ppl like him around the world. living in poverty or under threat from gangs or drug lord etc etc. the last thing we want is let those drug lord know they can test our system because their mule and their family is under their threat. if this is the case they will bombard our border with their mules , like what is happening to usa now.

every 1 including me and many of our bros here got a sad story to tell. 

If we  really do spare him , i really hope its on our own term and law, not pressure from those international human right crap.

If there is a law we cannot hang an adult with IQ of 69. then its fair enough. If we spare him because we sympathy  his living condition and story , its a wrong move. All the drug traffickers that are hang in sg got their own very sad story to tell . 

Edited by Beregond
  • Praise 4

14 minutes ago, Beregond said:

frankly i pity his case.

but there are millions of such ppl like him around the world. living in poverty or under threat from gangs or drug lord etc etc. the last thing we want is let those drug lord know they can test our system because their mule and their family is under their threat. if this is the case they will bombard our border with their mules , like what is happening to usa now.

every 1 including me and many of our bros here got a sad story to tell. 

If we  really do spare him , i really hope its on our own term and law, not pressure from those international human right crap.

If there is a law we cannot hang an adult with IQ of 69. then its fair enough. If we spare him because we sympathy  his living condition and story , its a wrong move. All the drug traffickers that are hang in sg got their own very sad story to tell . 

While I do agree that sparing him just because of his story is wrong, I believe that it is more important to target the source of the problem (aka the drug lords) instead of the mules. After all, if we execute this man, it doesn't guarantee that there will be lesser drug traffickers attempting to enter Singapore. These drug rings will always find a way to have more mules smuggle these substances in, while they sit at home comfortably waiting for the profits. 

• Praise 3

2 hours ago, mikk123 said:

a beautiful young lady become a slave to drugs... I don't agree with some of policy from our government, but the drug ones i support 1000%. You play, you die! Good that this is widely publicized around the world, so all the drug cartels will know, don't pry pry with Singapore.... and STAY AWAY! 

RICHARD BRANSON, GO AND FLY YOUR KITE! 

he fly space ship now ok.

• Haha! 3

16 minutes ago, mikk123 said:

if the story is true, indeed it is sad that people do it out of poverty. But isn't it the same that in order to save the father, he help to kills others? is this justifiable? 

If he is spared because of low IQ, then all hell break lose. Finally there is a way to crack singapore market - Using people with low IQ. All the drug lords will be busy recruiting people with special needs and offer them a good courier career.  

exactly , is he is spare because of his IQ level, it must be of an existing law. We cannot create a law for his case. If not we creating loophole in our system only. 

12 minutes ago, unicornfloof said:

While I do agree that sparing him just because of his story is wrong, I believe that it is more important to target the source of the problem (aka the drug lords) instead of the mules. After all, if we execute this man, it doesn't guarantee that there will be lesser drug traffickers attempting to enter Singapore. These drug rings will always find a way to have more mules smuggle these substances in, while they sit at home comfortably waiting for the profits. 

totally agree on the point where we need to target their boss. 

but we aim their boss dun mean we spare their soldiers.

Like u say even if we hang this guy, there will still be attempt to smuggle drug into sg, Some ppl is willing to risk even death to smuggle drugs in, what will happen if we take away this best line of def.

We look and facts and result, does hanging drugs traffickers control drugs abuse in SG? compare SG to countries that dun hang drug traffickers.

or compare countries that hang and dun hang  drugs traffickers. see the different in drugs abuse level between them. the result is clear cut. 

• Praise 1

2 hours ago, unicornfloof said:

Be careful of setting a precedent. We know how culpable those drug dealer. 

• Praise 1

16 hours ago, Beregond said:

chance upon this video about a drug addict. 

its a very sad 1 . so dun watch if u dun want your mood spoil

Reveal hidden contents

i got a older cousin that is a drug addict since teens, in and out of jail non stop. close to 60 now . destroy the whole life

my neighbour at work ( move out a few years ago) after taking drug, will just sleep bare body on the road. he got a uncle that is a big shot who bail him out non stop. 

once we loosen our tolerance on drugs, thats it for us. give 1 will become 2 , become 3 

I sympathize your situation but it's funny how people don't want to take responsibility for their own actions and blame others instead.

Fat folks sue McDonald's for making them fat but they couldn't resist laying their hands on a Big Mac. Ironic

• Praise 4
  • Haha! 2

2 hours ago, unicornfloof said:

These mules are old fashion...... not trending...... now they use drones   

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 3

9 minutes ago, BanCoe said:

These mules are old fashion...... not trending...... now they use drones   

One tried

from woodlands waterfront across to jb😂

some drones have 10km distance

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

I kinda hoped that his case will be reviewed. But since most of us are not aware of the full story or attend any hearing, i will not comment much.

Anyway i thought i heard something like the penalty for drug trafficking to be reviewed for case by case basis right?

↡ Advertisement