The facelifted Hyundai i30 N is coming! #feelthefeeling

BabyBlade

Message added by BabyBlade

On 11/16/2021 at 9:33 PM, Carbon82 said:

The pre-facelift i30N has an OMV of ~$28K, factor in a VES surcharge of $15K (C1), the basic car cost would be ~$83K+, so Komoco pricing represents a $50K mark up. Wow... 

Have to say the Fastback is a looker, but sadly not available in I30N form previously. This may sell better than the hatchback imo, given the relatively warm response of the lower powered i30 Turbo.

I am surprised Hyundai did not get factory subsidies for car launches. 

but you are right, the fastback shape does make it more likeable than the Skoda. Now if only they can match the price bracket..  many Suzy gti and lancer CS3 upgraders

↡ Advertisement

On 12/23/2021 at 4:48 PM, Sdf4786k said:

I am surprised Hyundai did not get factory subsidies for car launches. 

but you are right, the fastback shape does make it more likeable than the Skoda. Now if only they can match the price bracket..  many Suzy gti and lancer CS3 upgraders

Day and night between the Suzuki and Lancer, and this i30N... different bracket lor... a real performance car versus rice rockets... rice rockets = all sound and fury with no move... I always crack up on the road behind these guys... engine and exhaust so loud but still so slow...

Edited by teomingern
  • Haha! 2

On 12/27/2021 at 7:38 AM, teomingern said:

Day and night between the Suzuki and Lancer, and this i30N... different bracket lor... a real performance car versus rice rockets... rice rockets = all sound and fury with no move... I always crack up on the road behind these guys... engine and exhaust so loud but still so slow...

U have to cut your teeth somewhere .. 

but what’s the majority of the profile or the previous buyer profile of the i30N manual? 

koreans supporting Korean products? Or typical clearance sales with non disclosure sign off on the prices that’s too good to refused?

At that time , the most immediate price bracket competitor was the Skoda VRS at a retail price of 125 to 128k and if I may add, a bit of what the usual Hokkien slogan of cheap , fresh and near enough to be your neighbor..

big conti with plenty of after mkt parts where mechanic are familiar enough to repair yet not too exotic that the mechanic will take u for a ride when you need repairs.

ao unless there is a good strategy for the selling price of the car, it will be another “infinity”

very niche’s buyer clientele  

1 hour ago, Sdf4786k said:

U have to cut your teeth somewhere .. 

but what’s the majority of the profile or the previous buyer profile of the i30N manual? 

koreans supporting Korean products? Or typical clearance sales with non disclosure sign off on the prices that’s too good to refused?

At that time , the most immediate price bracket competitor was the Skoda VRS at a retail price of 125 to 128k and if I may add, a bit of what the usual Hokkien slogan of cheap , fresh and near enough to be your neighbor..

big conti with plenty of after mkt parts where mechanic are familiar enough to repair yet not too exotic that the mechanic will take u for a ride when you need repairs.

ao unless there is a good strategy for the selling price of the car, it will be another “infinity”

very niche’s buyer clientele  

Yup... it was meant to be a halo product after all...

@Calinlin 

On 11/16/2021 at 8:06 PM, Calinlin said:

Bring manual in, people will say no DCT. They don't buy.

Bring DCT in, people will say no manual. They don't buy.

Truth is, bring in manual and dct, they also won't buy, because Hyundai.

But the truth is, Hyundai DCT still having reliability issues.......

My own brother bought the Hyundai i30 1.4 DCT Turbo back in 2019. 

Before his purchased, remind him there maybe potential issues with the DCT and the DCT will most probably failed within first 5 years. 

Few month ago, his DCT failed upon reaching 2 years at 40K and gearbox was change FOC under warranty. 

Told him to sell away his i30 asap as the DCT may failed again and again............

@Mahjong74

10 hours ago, Mahjong74 said:

@Calinlin 

Before his purchased, remind him there maybe potential issues with the DCT and the DCT will most probably failed within first 5 years. 

Few month ago, his DCT failed upon reaching 2 years at 40K and gearbox was change FOC under warranty. 

Told him to sell away his i30 asap as the DCT may failed again and again............

i30 1.4 is 7spd dry clutch. Totally different from the 8 spd wet clutch here. Not all DCT is bad. 

I suspect some 7spd dry dct failure is due to creeping and "unintended triggering of creep mode". If you never press the brake hard enough during red light/stop, the vehicle actually raise the idle speed and go into creep mode, while the brake is still preventing the car from creeping. It is as good as using half clutch while car is stopped. I had this issue.

• Praise 1

On 12/28/2021 at 10:41 PM, Calinlin said:

@Mahjong74

i30 1.4 is 7spd dry clutch. Totally different from the 8 spd wet clutch here. Not all DCT is bad. 

I suspect some 7spd dry dct failure is due to creeping and "unintended triggering of creep mode". If you never press the brake hard enough during red light/stop, the vehicle actually raise the idle speed and go into creep mode, while the brake is still preventing the car from creeping. It is as good as using half clutch while car is stopped. I had this issue.

I believe in certain market like AU, the i30N  comes with track warranty free. 

good attestation to the stress that it will put up to. 

wonder if KMC will dare to place the same faith 

Edited by Sdf4786k

@Mahjong74 To be fair bro, it could be due to luck and the way its been driven. my i30 is 2yrs 11 months. 80k mileage. gearbox is still smooth. main consensus is that the gearbox is good. just that the clutch material is abit too fragile or clutch pack too thin. 

Edited by LewJiaHaur

Neutral Newbie
18 hours ago, LewJiaHaur said:

@Mahjong74 To be fair bro, it could be due to luck and the way its been driven. my i30 is 2yrs 11 months. 80k mileage. gearbox is still smooth. main consensus is that the gearbox is good. just that the clutch material is abit too fragile or clutch pack too thin. 

But can't blame people from staying away from DCT/DSG. VW's DSG has been around since 2004. That's about 18yrs & still having issues. They finally decided to shift away & now some of their models like the Seat Ateca, Skoda Karoq are using 8spd auto from Aisin. I think that speaks a lot about the confidence they have in the DSG.

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

On 12/28/2021 at 12:25 PM, Mahjong74 said:

@Calinlin 

Sometime these "failures" are often the clutch that need to be replaced. Like a manual car, clutch need to be changed within car service life. The only qn is how long till it is required.

Many cars in the road now comes with DCT. You will need to do research to isolate only the car models with CVT or the AT boxes if you want to avoid them completely

Edited by Ceecookie
  • Haha! 2

4 hours ago, Greg said:

But can't blame people from staying away from DCT/DSG. VW's DSG has been around since 2004. That's about 18yrs & still having issues. They finally decided to shift away & now some of their models like the Seat Ateca, Skoda Karoq are using 8spd auto from Aisin. I think that speaks a lot about the confidence they have in the DSG.

For vw its the mu that fails. Hearsay that it's the synthetic oil the mu is submerged in causes the issue. Not sure..

So far for the i30s mostly is the judder due to wear in clutch pack. Depends on what you deem as reasonable wear and tear. 

I'm not too sure about the gearbox choices made by the manufacturer. I just know that dq200 is rated for a max of 250nm, which alot of 1.4, 1.5l turbo cars are capable of hitting. Hence, might be a smarter move to move to a more robust AT. 

Yeap for sure can't blame ppl fearing dct after all these 18 years of issues from dq200. But it's kinda unfair to just say all dcts are not reliable just becoz of this one model. 

On 1/20/2022 at 11:26 AM, Greg said:

I think you need to be up dated on wet clutch n dry clutches.. 

after 2004 till now n you still speaking of DSG failure. 

yes it has huge flaws. But for FC n closed ratio gearbox with DSG, it very difficult to replicate 

and hence Hyundai has also joined in to this autobox with track warranty for some countries 

Edited by Sdf4786k
↡ Advertisement