83-Year-Old Man Fixes Bicycles At Pasir Ris Void Deck To Pay For Kidney Dialysis

SGMCF328

Please consider giving business to him if you are staying in the East. At least he did not go around begging, but earned his dialysis fee through hard work.

https://mustsharenews.com/bicycles-pasir-ris-void-deck/

Elderly-Bicycle-Mechanic-2.jpeg

Having a long-term illness is not only difficult but can be costly due to recurring medical fees. While there are subsidies, patients will still have to pay a certain amount.

Recently, a man who passed by a void deck at Pasir Ris saw an elderly man fixing some bicycles.

It turns out, the elderly man was a bicycle mechanic trying to earn money to pay for his kidney dialysis.

The OP first spotted the elderly man sitting on a small stool next to several bicycles at the void deck of Block 423 Pasir Ris Drive 6. Upon a closer look, the man was fixing bicycles.

Elderly-Bicycle-Mechanic-5.jpeg

Apparently, the elderly man is an 83-year-old bicycle mechanic with over 30 years of experience repairing and servicing bikes.

According to the OP, to pay for his monthly kidney dialysis, the elderly mechanic has been at the void deck repairing bicycles.

Apparently, he can be found at the same spot every day except for Monday, Wednesday and Friday, when he has to go for kidney dialysis.

To gain more support, the OP decided to post the elderly’s situation on a Facebook group, SG PCN Cyclist, to notify other cyclists.

Edited by SGMCF328
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 18
  • Sad 1

If that is what the old man enjoys doing, i have nothing to say.

but if he has to do it to pay for his kidney dialysis, i say give him a break, surely bloody first world Singapore can do better! 

what good otherwise is a first world, wealthy, country with most expensive ministers, cars, public housing etc?

Edited by Throttle2
  • Praise 18

This public media posting is actually detrimental to him..pretty soon im sure some NEA officer is gonna show up and ask him for 'licence'...

Edited by Kyrios
  • Praise 2
  • Shocked 3
  • Sad 4

45 minutes ago, Volvobrick said:

Admirable spirits, but he should use proper tools.  That big F wrench could kill a cow!  Hope that won't scare off potential customers.

"Apparently, the elderly man is an 83-year-old bicycle mechanic with over 30 years of experience repairing and servicing bikes."

• Praise 3

6 hours ago, Kyrios said:

This public media posting is actually detrimental to him..pretty soon im sure some NEA officer is gonna show up and ask him for 'licence'...

Precisely.

Besides nea, town council/hdb might also pay him a visit. Using of common area for business/trade.

Residents complaining of the unsightly site that might affect their flat value.

We have heard stories on how hypocrite Singaporean can be when come to protecting their flat value. 😓

• Praise 3
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Kyrios said:

this is true.  back in the 80s I remember I sent my motorbike to some back alley in Jln Besar area where there was an old mech who repaired the engine for me.  I believe he managed to operate there for a long time without the free publicity that we have today.

• Praise 2

2 hours ago, Kopites said:

Precisely.

Besides nea, town council/hdb might also pay him a visit. Using of common area for business/trade.

Residents complaining of the unsightly site that might affect their flat value.

We have heard stories on how hypocrite Singaporean can be when come to protecting their flat value. 😓

Got lah ! bedok North Blk 80x also got one Unker in his 80’s doing in void deck , offer very cheap repairs ……. Kenna from town council and other agencies ….. now doing his biz from his flat unit …….. but this one is fit as a fiddle- have been going to him for a decade now  

• Praise 4
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Picnic06-Biante15 said:

Void decks have bicycle's parking area and many bicycles chained up there. Some even look like years have not been ridden. :we-all-gonna-die:

So now you know where the parts come from  [sly] 

:grin::grin:

That is what I'm trying to hint at but just dunno if it is true.

• Haha! 2

15 minutes ago, BanCoe said:

Got lah ! bedok North Blk 80x also got one Unker in his 80’s doing in void deck , offer very cheap repairs ……. Kenna from town council and other agencies ….. now doing his biz from his flat unit …….. but this one is fit as a fiddle- have been going to him for a decade now  

Emoticon 43.jpg

Internal Moderator
10 hours ago, SGMCF328 said:

Please consider giving business to him if you are staying in the East. At least he did not go around begging, but earned his dialysis fee through hard work.

https://mustsharenews.com/bicycles-pasir-ris-void-deck/

Elderly-Bicycle-Mechanic-2.jpeg

Having a long-term illness is not only difficult but can be costly due to recurring medical fees. While there are subsidies, patients will still have to pay a certain amount.

Recently, a man who passed by a void deck at Pasir Ris saw an elderly man fixing some bicycles.

It turns out, the elderly man was a bicycle mechanic trying to earn money to pay for his kidney dialysis.

The OP first spotted the elderly man sitting on a small stool next to several bicycles at the void deck of Block 423 Pasir Ris Drive 6. Upon a closer look, the man was fixing bicycles.

Elderly-Bicycle-Mechanic-5.jpeg

Apparently, the elderly man is an 83-year-old bicycle mechanic with over 30 years of experience repairing and servicing bikes.

According to the OP, to pay for his monthly kidney dialysis, the elderly mechanic has been at the void deck repairing bicycles.

Apparently, he can be found at the same spot every day except for Monday, Wednesday and Friday, when he has to go for kidney dialysis.

To gain more support, the OP decided to post the elderly’s situation on a Facebook group, SG PCN Cyclist, to notify other cyclists.

I feel like buying a better chair for the uncle. at least smth with a back support. he can lean back and rest his back abit. 😟

• Praise 5

9 hours ago, Volvobrick said:

Admirable spirits, but he should use proper tools.  That big F wrench could kill a cow!  Hope that won't scare off potential customers.

He wont be fixing any expensive decent good bikes for sure, just the neighborhood kids beater type.  

• Haha! 2

Hmmm not necessarily about TC chasing people off.

My workplace nearby void deck has a cobbler uncle working here for years. He has a tape demarcated area. I think it's sanctioned one. 

Edited by Lala81
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5