83-Year-Old Man Fixes Bicycles At Pasir Ris Void Deck To Pay For Kidney Dialysis

SGMCF328

I wonder where are his children? At the next level, where is the authorities? Not catching him but how authorities can help him not do this for the payment. If he do this for his own expenses, I am sure the people that support him will also willing do it. But why need to do this to pay for his treatment? I don't get it.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

21 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

Hmmm not necessarily about TC chasing people off.

My workplace nearby void deck has a cobbler uncle working here for years. He has a tape demarcated area. I think it's sanctioned one. 

Cobbler dun need much space ; just five foot way (like the space they used to give in Sungei road market.... like agak agak 2m x 2m is enuff) but for bike repairing bikes need lotsa space and dirt/ grease  and parts can fly here and there too with hammering bolts )   

• Praise 3
  • Haha! 1

25 minutes ago, Throttle2 said:

He wont be fixing any expensive decent good bikes for sure, just the neighborhood kids beater type.  

you will be surprised...... seen many carbon and mine's titanium...... name has gone around word of mouth..... go atas shop pay $100 go here pay like only $20-$30 only thing is maybe for atas ones he will order the parts (or he will tell the owner to order own on line)     

• Praise 3

8 minutes ago, BanCoe said:

you will be surprised...... seen many carbon and mine's titanium...... name has gone around word of mouth..... go atas shop pay $100 go here pay like only $20-$30 only thing is maybe for atas ones he will order the parts (or he will tell the owner to order own on line)     

Whats there to fix any way for modern hi tech bikes.  Usually replace only. Nothing too difficult right?

9 minutes ago, Throttle2 said:

Whats there to fix any way for modern hi tech bikes.  Usually replace only. Nothing too difficult right?

Yeah if worn only replacement. Plus a bit of adjustment for brake/shifters, lubricants.  All straight forward. Just need a few cheap special tools.

A case of doing more harm than good to report it. 

Dong biz at a void deck set the wrong precedent and might lead to others follow suit. 

Such reporting is seriously dumb and lacked consideration  for consequences that might be precepitated. 

Edited by Hamburger
  • Praise 1

11 hours ago, Kyrios said:

This public media posting is actually detrimental to him..pretty soon im sure some NEA officer is gonna show up and ask him for 'licence'...

No lah, I have seen 'fortune teller' housed in covered walkway with licence given for 'under privileged'. He even smoke, litters and block the pathway with table and chairs. It depends. 

I would rather suggest they assign a proper location in the void deck that will not hinder with public pathway. If the shop units can have marked out additinal spaces, sure this can be done. 

Edited by Victor68

16 minutes ago, Throttle2 said:

Got lah ....... small things also got lah ....... like some people dont want to change panchit tayar send to him , change the handle bar padding strip , brake cables/ caliper adjust here and there ..... many people just lazy to DIY...... i sent my bike to him to change my presta valve rim to accomodate schrader valve (just a matter of drilling a bigger hole actually) but let the pro do it since he got experience... think he charged me no more than $20 including the tubes      

• Praise 2

13 minutes ago, Volvobrick said:

Yeah if worn only replacement. Plus a bit of adjustment for brake/shifters, lubricants.  All straight forward. Just need a few cheap special tools.

True, just need screwdriver for derailleurs.

But I don't think this octogenarian uncle can adjust the lower and upper limit screws accurately...... without wearing glasses.

Even I need reading glasses doing it. 😅

• Haha! 4

23 minutes ago, Fitvip said:

Is it another form of excercise?😥

Less effort than walking around collecting and pushing cardboards.

Unless changing tyres, will need more physical strength. 

Collecting cardboard is more physical demanding and weather dependent.

• Haha! 5

18 minutes ago, BanCoe said:

Got lah ....... small things also got lah ....... like some people dont want to change panchit tayar send to him , change the handle bar padding strip , brake cables/ caliper adjust here and there ..... many people just lazy to DIY...... i sent my bike to him to change my presta valve rim to accomodate schrader valve (just a matter of drilling a bigger hole actually) but let the pro do it since he got experience... think he charged me no more than $20 including the tubes      

For biker, DIY is part of the essential skills to have.   Not everything but simple 5-20min jobs should be able to spare the time to handle.

i am very hands on personally with, my bikes, cars, etc….

• Praise 4

57 minutes ago, BanCoe said:

bike repairing bikes need lotsa space and dirt/ grease  and parts can fly here and there too with hammering bolts )   

Hmmmm.......... you have not repair a bicycle before ... [sly]

Grease yes but parts flying ??? :ph34r: 

Unless old man gets angry and throw his wrench & bicycle parts without seeing where he throws.... [sweatdrop]

All bolts & nuts niah [:)]

:XD:

• Haha! 3

44 minutes ago, Atonchia said:

True, just need screwdriver for derailleurs.

But I don't think this octogenarian uncle can adjust the lower and upper limit screws accurately...... without wearing glasses.

Even I need reading glasses doing it. 😅

Why do you need to adjust the limiter screw?

Just change all 4 cables once every 2 years 

38 minutes ago, Picnic06-Biante15 said:

Hmmmm.......... you have not repair a bicycle before ... [sly]

Grease yes but parts flying ??? :ph34r: 

Unless old man gets angry and throw his wrench & bicycle parts without seeing where he throws.... [sweatdrop]

All bolts & nuts niah [:)]

:XD:

I dont , actually though I can do it myself, last few years with back issues .... i take it easy ........ cheaper to just let him do it

Yes he is a grumpy fella.... but we are used to it, I mean by flying he knocks here n there with mallet or hammer (depending on the part) can be like a feet or two 🤣....... but sure need proper space (he uses cardboards for his workspace so as to not to dirty the common areas)......... bike chains can be really dirty  

• Praise 4

5 hours ago, Picnic06-Biante15 said:

Now...... where is the Pasir Ris MP when needed.... :lll._.:

And also those RC members, no reporting of the old man was suffering quietly working for his medical fee.  :darkmood:

:lll._.:

If you need to know, it's him https://www.pmo.gov.sg/cabinet/mr-teo-chee-hean

But dont disturb him lah, recently he should be very sad https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/politics/senior-minister-teo-chee-heans-wife-founder-of-a-stroke-support-charity-dies-aged

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3