I need a soundbar for my Prism+ TV, spillover of 11.11 damage

BabyBlade

Internal Moderator

Dear MCFERS. My PRISM+ TV arrived last Friday and so far I am pleased with it. I bought their expensive swivel mount with the extended arm and the main gripe of mine is in order to tilt up or down, you have to release the nut or screw first. That's quite a hassle compared to the mount I have in the living room. But to be fair, the living room one does not come with an extension. 

So while I'm pleased with the TV so far, I feel like the audio can do so much better. It's decent quality but LG one is better, bassier. So my next quest is, I think I need to beef up the sound system. How can I do that without breaking the bank? 

I have about $400 worth of Taka vouchers and I went down Taka to check and I think these are the only two that's available. JBL and Harman Kardon. Checked both reviews and while it's not fantastic you don't get to test it out at the shop too. 

IMG-20211123-WA0013.thumb.jpg.a3c880fedbf03dfbaa902e7b4242e221.jpg

IMG-20211123-WA0015.thumb.jpg.2bb1a669dc0ea519388d595d33529300.jpg

IMG-20211123-WA0014.thumb.jpg.76841fdbdf53ddbf16563f02fde8b2f8.jpg

Leaning towards a soundbar as I think it's arguably more space saving. I need something with an oomph in the bass lol. Is there anything decent that's not more than $500 or am I being unrealistic? Send help! This is exactly why they have Black Friday and Cyber Monday Sale so soon after 11.11.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4

Actually I found my panny TV sound improved a lot after I have a TV console. Haha down firing speakers have something to reflect off. 

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

The HK is a BT speaker, not soundbar. So it is not going to work with TV. 

I have no experience with the JLB JBL. Sound is always very subjective as it depends on your ear and the environment. A good start is to research online and see what others say in general. 

You can try the yamaha YAS 109. I think a few of us here recommend this. Loud enough and dialogue is clear. Can consider the 209 if you want a sub or you can add on later separately. 

https://www.harveynorman.com.sg/tv-and-audio/sound-systems/soundbars-en/yamaha-front-surround-yas-109-black.html?gclid=CjwKCAiAnO2MBhApEiwA8q0HYXVi3oHQFdeMwhRyEqGU1xDosphA9hFgarTOyI-Eo31rYgiYYbRlLRoCITAQAvD_BwE

I see that your Tv is wall mounted and no console below. So you need to find a way to put or mount the SB. 

• Praise 4

Turbocharged

This is above your budget but you can consider SONOS Beam. Overall ok (way better than the sound from my SS TV) but bass can be better. Good thing is that you can add on their individual speakers (seamless pairing) when you have more cash.

Edited by Kxbc
  • Praise 2

I went for a single bar setup to save space…I boh lui so room also small small kind 😁

a 2.1 for the hall powderful enuf to irritate my neighbors 😝

recently came across the prism…was surprised by the quality…I thought I got spinning vision…clarity was there but so was the ghostly epl players…only time no issue was during free kick when everyone was stationary…🤣

• Haha! 2

Turbocharged
5 minutes ago, Stratovarius said:

The HK is a BT speaker, not soundbar. So it is not going to work with TV

I have no experience with the JLB JBL. Sound is always very subjective as it depends on your ear and the environment. A good start is to research online and see what others say in general. 

You can try the yamaha YAS 109. I think a few of us here recommend this. Loud enough and dialogue is clear. Can consider the 209 if you want a sub or you can add on later separately. 

https://www.harveynorman.com.sg/tv-and-audio/sound-systems/soundbars-en/yamaha-front-surround-yas-109-black.html?gclid=CjwKCAiAnO2MBhApEiwA8q0HYXVi3oHQFdeMwhRyEqGU1xDosphA9hFgarTOyI-Eo31rYgiYYbRlLRoCITAQAvD_BwE

I see that your Tv is wall mounted and no console below. So you need to find a way to put or mount the SB. 

your recommendation is really neat.

• Haha! 1

I think the JBL you mentioned is good enough for your room?

The placement of your subwoofer matters. So move it around to get the effect that you want. 

Bass wise to me the source of whatever you are listening to matters. Eg. if the song's sound format has a weak bass to begin with, no matter how good is your sound system it wont bring out more bass. 

The con about sound bars is that you have to use it regularly and keep it away from moisture. If you dont do these it will spoil easily.

Edited by Watwheels

I have an old Philips soundbar,  hang it on the wall.

All the wires are messy. I didn't use much. And the subwoofer occupies floor space.

It would nice if it's just a simple component speaker unit that I can hang on the wall, with usb. 

So I find it a bit overkill.

I had a smaller Bose for my PC, I think the sound is quite good.

https://www.amazon.sg/SoundLink-Portable-Bluetooth-Speaker-Triple/dp/B07YBNB2PS/

Maybe you can consider this. Get a bit of bass without cluttering up much space.

https://www.amazon.sg/BOSE-838309-4100-Bose-TV-Speaker/dp/B086KJM7FL/

Edited by Kb27
  • Praise 1

If you would sometimes want to listen to music without turning on the TV, i would suggest a 2.1 system over a soundbar.

If you only turn on the speakers when you watch TV, then i think a soundbar makes more sense.

BFB, Creative Katana (i think there is a V2 or something update) or Z623. Look for the one with optical input/output, so that you can link to your TV for best effect.

a bit out of touch with these things liao, so some details maybe wrong, but the gist should be all there.

Good luck!

• Praise 6

Personally will go for this: creative 360 with Dolby Atmos. Too bad it came after I got my soundbar. This one comes with Dolby Atmos so it's somewhat future ready. Probably the cheapest one with Atmos at that pricing too. Wait for black Friday sale and see if there are offers too. It's bang for buck. But if u have a bigger budget, of cos there are better options out there like the Sonos beam. 

https://www.techadvisor.com/review/creative-stage-360-review-3809529/

• Praise 5

6 minutes ago, mersaylee said:

Where is the best physical outlet to buy CT products these days? 

I think its best bought online these days, but if u like to molest it before buying, i THINK they still have a physical store at IBP.

• Praise 1

Internal Moderator
15 minutes ago, Invigorated said:

Personally will go for this: creative 360 with Dolby Atmos. Too bad it came after I got my soundbar. This one comes with Dolby Atmos so it's somewhat future ready. Probably the cheapest one with Atmos at that pricing too. Wait for black Friday sale and see if there are offers too. It's bang for buck. But if u have a bigger budget, of cos there are better options out there like the Sonos beam. 

https://www.techadvisor.com/review/creative-stage-360-review-3809529/

yeah. I agree with you. This is a good buy. For a movie lovers, they will benefit from it.

• Praise 2

10 minutes ago, mersaylee said:

Where is the best physical outlet to buy CT products these days? 

I think u can also find creative products on shopee or Lazada, if stack with some promos, maybe more worth it then direct. I'm not sure.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2