S'pore Army gets rid of 5BX, soldiers to do more stretching type workouts

kobayashiGT

Internal Moderator

no-more-5bx.jpg

Source: https://mothership.sg/2021/11/no-more-5bx/

The Singapore Army is replacing the current five basic exercises, famously known as 5BX, with "prehabilitation exercises", otherwise known as PX.

The army has begun rolling out the PX to the various units and training schools since April 2021.

The rollout is expected to be completed by December 2021, it was announced on Nov. 23.

No more 5BX ritual

This would mean that the Singapore Army is getting rid of the 5BX ritual that consists of jumping jacks, the high jumper, crunches, push ups and running -- a workout routine that has been in place since the 1970s to help soldiers to quickly ready their bodies for the day's activities in the morning.

According to Pioneer back in September 2021, PX had a successful two-year trial that started at the Officer Cadet School.

The programme was designed by physiotherapists and sports scientists at the Centre of Excellence for Soldier's Performance (CESP).

Injuries reduced

As a result of undergoing PX, soldiers' physical injuries sustained as a result of strenuous activity were reduced.

These injuries usually affect the knees, back and ankles.

The figures announced proved promising, as injury rates fell from 6.3 per cent to 2.6 per cent among 1,100 who participated in the experiment.

PX is shown to help improve soldiers' flexibility and mobility, as well as strengthen their core.

Exercises can be performed anytime

To exercise better, units are recommended to perform PX daily, first thing in the morning, allowing soldiers to warm up their bodies before starting the day's training.

The exercises can also be done anytime of the day.

How are exercises done

There are two PX programmes.

Army units have a choice of two exercise programmes for variety, one with 14 exercises and the other with 15 exercises.

Each exercise is to be done for 30 seconds with a slow tempo.

px-singapore-army-01.gif

px-singapore-army-02.gif

Programme 1:

Station 1 — Half squats, mountain climbers

Station 2 — Step lunge, static hamstring stretch

Station 3 — Single leg bridging, static hip flexor stretch

Station 4 — Sit-ups, stretching of iliotibial band (tissue outside of hip, thigh and knee) in side-lying position

Station 5 — Spiderman stretch (to stretch hips and back), knee-rolling stretch

Station 6 — Alternate arm and leg lifts, buttock stretch in sitting position

Station 7 — Stretching of the piriformis (muscle that moves the hip joint), high plank with alternate hip taps

Programme 2:

Station 1 — Single-leg or double-leg tip-toes on ground, upper calf stretch

Station 2 — Wall squats or buddy squats, six-point star hops

Station 3 — Burpees, sumo squats (to condition hips, inner thighs and butt)

Station 4 — Iliotibial band stretches in side-lying position

Station 5 — Clamshell exercise (to strengthen hip abductors), single-leg half squats

Station 6 — Static lunges, lower-calf stretch

Station 7 — Single-leg deadlift (to strengthen lower back, butt and core), side-plank hold

Station 8 — Squat jumps, seated hamstrings stretch

Diet also changed

The diet of soldiers has also been tweaked to adjust to the day's activities.

Pioneer reported that the CESP has introduced nutritional supplements to provide additional carbohydrate or protein-rich snacks to soldiers, depending on their training activities.

soldiers-eating-snacks.jpg

For instance, if the unit has cardio training that day, such as fast marches or runs, they will be provided with carbohydrate-rich snacks. These could include sandwiches, oatmeal cookies or bananas.

Whereas if the unit was preparing for strength or hypertrophy training like combat circuits, they could be given protein-rich snacks. Examples of these are protein bars, soya bean milk and a packet of nuts.

More sleep as well

The Singapore Army is also introducing a mid-week rest extension by letting soldiers sleep more to promote passive recovery.

This means having nine hours of sleep -- two hours more than usual -- after the conduct of strenuous activity mid-week.

Top photo via Pioneer

Times have really changed. Now go army like go yoga retreat camp like that. 🤣 Must stretch alot, eat well and sleep well.

This is to prepare the girls to join the army ah? 🤣

Jack Neo movie gotta come true! Ah girl go army!!!! 🤣🤣🤣

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

4 minutes ago, Volvobrick said:

Same same.... 

Maybe can consider hot yoga

Instructors. Sure got motivation. 

no more PTI liao

change to SYT coaching nude yoga 😁😁😁 

BTW ah pek can still volunteer ns bo huh 🤣🤣🤣  

NS for sinkies and jobs for FT 😂😂😂 

Edited by Inlinefour
  • Haha! 7

1 minute ago, Inlinefour said:

no more PTI liao

change to SYT coaching nude yoga 😁😁😁 

BTW ah pek can still volunteer ns bo huh 🤣🤣🤣 

like that i volunteer R.T  even though i MR , i still want serve 😁

• Haha! 3

2 minutes ago, Beregond said:

like that i volunteer R.T  even though i MR , i still want serve 😁

errr...RT should be coached by ATB or PDMM 😍😍😍 

They will teach us Parade Square Dance 😂😂😂 

So that we can understand PLA training 🤣🤣🤣

Edited by Inlinefour

15 minutes ago, Beregond said:

i almost want to say might as well do yoga🤣

my personal belief is cardio should still be the main exercise for skeletal and muscle development. core exercise is important but should not be the main exercise.

so i guess e-mart will be selling yoga tights very soon ? [:p]

9 minutes ago, Blueray said:

my personal belief is cardio should still be the main exercise for skeletal and muscle development. core exercise is important but should not be the main exercise.

so i guess e-mart will be selling yoga tights very soon ? [:p]

Recruits and trainee are -20. they should be focusing on build muscle and str, doing 5bx help in this better then this PX ,

And doing 5bx is not going to get them inj. we training soldiers for godsake. how to carry sbo rifle fullpack radio and march , topo bababa if the soldiers cannot even do 5bx in sports wear??

Fair enough if they say soldiers need to do stretching etc etc. but we warmup and stretch before 5bx also .

Ok say now they feel soldiers got too many muscle training, they need  more stretching exercise in the morning. then just say so .

say what reduce inj, strengthen core type of justification is really wayang and desperate to score points to the max

Edited by Beregond
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 5

11 minutes ago, Othello said:

sibeh good life. PT kit by lululemon next ! 

ya, maybe next time can go e mart and choose colour some more. [laugh]

2 minutes ago, Beregond said:

Recruits and trainee are -20. they should be focusing on build muscle and str, doing 5bx help in this are better then this PX ,

And doing 5bx is not going to get them inj. we training soldiers for godsake. how to carry sbo rifle fullpack radio and march , topo bababa if the soldiers cannot even do 5bx in sports wear??

Fair enough if they say soldiers need to do stretching etc etc. but we warmup and stretch before 5bx also .

Ok say now they feel soldiers got too many muscle training, they need  more stretching exercise in the morning. then just say so .

say what reduce inj, strengthen core type of justification is really wayang and desperate to score points to the max

precisely, guys need to build up bones and muscle at this age and that is something that is essential for the many years ahead.

• Praise 1

I think this new PX should be together with 5BX. To aid in recovery.

In the past, it is all strenuous workout all the way. Of course the rate of injury will be high.  

• Praise 2

Turbocharged
23 minutes ago, Blueray said:

ya, maybe next time can go e mart and choose colour some more. [laugh]

choose between khaki green or dark green only. 😁

• Haha! 2