Tips on covering/blinding lights

AikL91

Neutral Newbie

Hi all, 

Recently bought a 2nd hand honda civic and due for sta inspection soon. 

Previous owner did some modification to the car. Was told that the HID ballast lights would not pass STA inspection and i need to blind it.

May i know how do i go about covering or blinding it? Am i able to do it myself or do i have to bring it down to a mechanic? 

Help is greatly appreciated!

↡ Advertisement

Sorry, can't offer help here but would like to share some thoughts which may be deafening, to add to the blinding element here :

1. Of all the illegal mods, there are 2 which cause me the most irritation. One is the ear bursting and high blood rising exhaust sounds. The other is the blinding glare from headlights, whether viewed from front or thru rearview/side mirrors. 

2. Have you been on the receiving end of sudden bright blinding headlights before? I can sincerely tell you this. I have been. A few times.

Its a big NO No because one can be momentarily blinded and it is a safety hazard. 

Getting away from it is no excuse to continue with such an idiotic mod. Its akin to having someone pointing a laser into your eyes. 

3. May I suggest that you look for the original headlights? Your ride is a common model to source for a used or from a scrapyard. It's not your fault your ride came with illegal mods. But beyond the hide and seek game with authority, you do have a responsibility and choice to ensure that your ride is not only road worthy but also not a potential safety hazard. 

Trust me. Its not only painful to your eyes to be exposed to such sudden glare, there is no added value, regardless what some idiots tell you to such a mod. 

Looks without taste is a waste of money and a sure sign the driver is desperate for attention, probably lacking balls too. 

Just my thoughts. No intention to offend you. But I hope you will consider keeping mods legal. 

Stay safe 

Cheers 

Edited by PSP415
  • Praise 15

Some idiots no mod but turn on the high beam and also rear fog light all the time to achieve the same irritating effect.... 

Complete opposite to those who only switch on daytime running lights (to save battery?) at night - just as idiotic and irritating. 

• Praise 5
  • Haha! 3

6 hours ago, Volvobrick said:

Some idiots no mod but turn on the high beam and also rear fog light all the time to achieve the same irritating effect.... 

Complete opposite to those who only switch on daytime running lights (to save battery?) at night - just as idiotic and irritating. 

Heavy rain also got covidiot never on light one 😱😱😱

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 5

9 hours ago, AikL91 said:

Hi all, 

Previous owner did some modification to the car. Was told that the HID ballast lights would not pass STA inspection and i need to blind it.

May i know how do i go about covering or blinding it? Am i able to do it myself or do i have to bring it down to a mechanic? 

Honda Civic which make year? It is easy to DIY. 

Just unplug the the power cord connecting to the aftermarket ballast. Remove the dust cover, remove the light bulb and put in the OEM light bulb, put back the dust cover, plug the power cord to the light bulb.

Just take your time and look thru Youtube.

Note: Do not touch the light bulb glass, your fingerprint will damage the light bulb and your bulb wont last long, I also dunno why. Wear disposable rubber gloves when handling the bulb.

If it is the Civic FD I will know. The original light bulb only produces 4200K brightness, yellowish HID but brighter than halogen type. I have walked in to Kah Motors spare parts shop at Ubi to buy before long ago. I think MX tradings also sell. Have to call them up and ask. They do installation or not have to ask Nicolas. https://www.mxtradings.com/where to buy.htm

Whatever you enquire, give your car make year and code, eg. FD, FC etc. If dunno, Google.

• Praise 3

9 hours ago, AikL91 said:

Hi all, 

Hi, if your headlights are the  projector type, it will not fail the equipment test if the projection is thrown correctly towards the ground but it may fail the visual inspection if the tester spots the xenon setup in the bonnet.  So there is no point covering up your lights unless yours are the reflector type. 

I am not sure if the connectors are the same as the halogen tyoe, if so, then just replace the bulbs temporarily. Otherwise, go do an inspection, if fail then go to a workshop to have the setup reverted.

Edited by Ct3833

6 hours ago, Volvobrick said:

Worst are the brainless one that uses red colour lights as headlights!!!! Think they are really cool to show people how dumb or Low IQ they are!

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 3

27 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

Note: Do not touch the light bulb glass, your fingerprint will damage the light bulb and your bulb wont last long, I also dunno why. Wear disposable rubber gloves when handling the bulb

this is because the sweat and oil on our fingers will be transferred to be glass of the bulbs and cause heat to build up on the bulbs, therefore shorten the life span of the bulbs. 

Edited by Ct3833
  • Praise 3

3 hours ago, Inlinefour said:

Rain or shine also got covidiots signal right but turn left and vice versa 😁

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

1 hour ago, mersaylee said:

Rain or shine, day or night also got covidiots instead of using the middle finger to flick the signal stalk...use it to show his displeasure...😁

goes to show that covid existed long ago

• Haha! 1

5 hours ago, Inlinefour said:

This cannot be due to covidiot lah. Covidiot is bad but we must be fair too! 

With or without covid, the idiot are there!🤐

As above! They are simply IDIOTs, not covidiots!😁

• Haha! 3

13 hours ago, PSP415 said:

Sorry, can't offer help here but would like to share some thoughts which may be deafening, to add to the blinding element here :

1. Of all the illegal mods, there are 2 which cause me the most irritation. One is the ear bursting and high blood rising exhaust sounds. The other is the blinding glare from headlights, whether viewed from front or thru rearview/side mirrors. 

2. Have you been on the receiving end of sudden bright blinding headlights before? I can sincerely tell you this. I have been. A few times.

Its a big NO No because one can be momentarily blinded and it is a safety hazard. 

Getting away from it is no excuse to continue with such an idiotic mod. Its akin to having someone pointing a laser into your eyes. 

3. May I suggest that you look for the original headlights? Your ride is a common model to source for a used or from a scrapyard. It's not your fault your ride came with illegal mods. But beyond the hide and seek game with authority, you do have a responsibility and choice to ensure that your ride is not only road worthy but also not a potential safety hazard. 

Trust me. Its not only painful to your eyes to be exposed to such sudden glare, there is no added value, regardless what some idiots tell you to such a mod. 

Looks without taste is a waste of money and a sure sign the driver is desperate for attention, probably lacking balls too. 

Just my thoughts. No intention to offend you. But I hope you will consider keeping mods legal. 

Stay safe 

Cheers 

Very strong response from someone who used to be very calm!

Thank you! You have written all my thoughts! 

I feel sad for those who advised to switch the bulb to pass the inspection and switch back later. This puts you in his same category!😪😪

• Haha! 1