2022 Toyota GR Corolla

enzoalec92

Oh man, Toyota has been on a massive roll these past few years, putting out the most exciting enthusiast cars in recent memory, all thanks to CEO Akio Toyoda's personal approval. This is in stark contrast to the early- to mid-2000s when they were making the most dreary commuter appliances LOL.

I think we're truly in the final golden era of "affordable" enthusiast vehicles before full electrification, what with this GR Corolla's competitors such as the 11th-gen Civic Type R and the i20/i30 N. It'll be sad to see the manual transmission go, but if this is what it takes for engineers to get off their 🍑s to make these cars, I'm all for it!

<Toyota GR Corolla Teased with a Game of I Spy
Toyota dropped a teaser on Instagram with tons of hidden clues about the upcoming hot hatch, which is expected to use a 268-hp three-cylinder engine.

image.png.e86f153947be178c548210163025238c.png
TOYOTA

• Toyota teased the upcoming GR Corolla hot hatch with an image shared on Instagram that featured hidden clues detailing the new model.
  • The GR Corolla will be powered by the same turbocharged 1.6-liter three-cylinder engine as the global GR Yaris.
  • The GR Corolla is expected to debut sometime next year and go on sale as a 2022 model in the U.S.

Ever since Toyota debuted the GR Yaris hot hatch and said that it wouldn't be sold in the United States, we've been itching for a version of one that we could buy here. After all, Toyota needs something to compete with the likes of the Honda Civic Type R, Volkswagen Golf R, and Hyundai Veloster N. Good thing Toyota isn't leaving us behind, because we're getting a GR Corolla soon. The company just dropped a teaser image on its Instagram account that give some hints of the new raucous hot hatch.

image.png.fc5dda7214f8cfd90aadde875f3fe71d.png
WHAT WE EXPECT THE GR COROLLA TO LOOK LIKE. | ILLUSTRATION BY BEN SUMMERELL-YOUDE/FOX SYNDICATION | CAR AND DRIVER

Naturally, the users over on the GR Corolla forum were quick to point out all the hints, which are scattered around an image of a standard Corolla's interior like a game of I Spy. GR stands for Gazoo Racing and is used on the Supra and the new GR86 sports car. The time indicated on the gauge cluster is G:16, which refers to the G16E-GTS turbocharged three-cylinder engine that's used in the GR Yaris. The 268-hp output of that powerful engine's Japanese version is found on the climate controls in the teaser image. European versions make 268 horsepower and 266 pound-feet of torque, and the engine is paired with a six-speed manual transmission.

That's not all. There's even a camouflaged GR Corolla hatchback in the background of the image (we tried to zoom in; you can't see much, sadly). There's a GR Four road in the navigation system, which refers to the advanced all-wheel-drive system that has Torsen limited-slip differentials in the front and the rear and an electronically controlled center differential.

Look for more details on the new GR Corolla soon, as Toyota is sure to trickle out details about the new hot hatch before its reveal, likely next year, since it released almost all the details on the new Tundra pickup before its official debut.>

↡ Advertisement

1 hour ago, Xers007 said:

GR Yaris 240k.. this 300k?? skip lah..

Even cheaper at 200k u still will skip.. unless it’s 0 to 100 in 2.5 secs u basically buying a slow low lah that any civic type R will eat u up

2 minutes ago, Sdf4786k said:

Even cheaper at 200k u still will skip.. unless it’s 0 to 100 in 2.5 secs u basically buying a slow low lah that any civic type R will eat u up

Or Hyundai Avante N

On 11/25/2021 at 6:15 PM, Xers007 said:

GR Yaris 240k.. this 300k?? skip lah..

On 11/25/2021 at 7:37 PM, Sdf4786k said:

The GR Yaris is a limited-run production model while this GR Corolla supposedly will be a mass-market product, so it's going to cost less than the GR Yaris, if anything. What the retail price will be remains to be seen though... Of course, this car is about driving fun rather than outright speed and acceleration figures. if you're only interested in those attributes, might I suggest an EV: 

On 11/25/2021 at 7:39 PM, Acegab said:

Or Hyundai Avante N

The Avante's in a different segment altogether, being a 4-door saloon. This GR Corolla is aimed squarely at quite a few of the other smaller hot hatches mentioned, all within the same price range. That said, the Avante N looks really promising, especially since it comes with a manual too in some markets!

On 11/25/2021 at 8:34 PM, kobayashiGT said:

aiyo. I saw auto GB. Their iconic CVT ah? 🤣

Huh, this car comes with a manual leh, otherwise why'd you think I'm so excited about it?! Did you forget your specs? 🧐

7 hours ago, enzoalec92 said:

The GR Yaris is a limited-run production model while this GR Corolla supposedly will be a mass-market product, so it's going to cost less than the GR Yaris, if anything. What the retail price will be remains to be seen though... Of course, this car is about driving fun rather than outright speed and acceleration figures. if you're only interested in those attributes, might I suggest an EV: 

"FUN" varies for different people. Unless you mean a lap on the circuit with an EV to gauge the fun level.

And yes, for me an EV over this and that Yaris anytime.  

Edited by Xers007

4 minutes ago, Xers007 said:

"FUN" varies for different people. Unless you mean a lap on the circuit with an EV to gauge the fun level.

And yes, for me an EV over this and that Yaris anytime.  

Sure, I understand there's different strokes for different folks.

I'm very much still a purist, so anything new that comes with 3 pedals nowadays automatically excites me; even more so if it's (not this car, of course) naturally aspirated and bonus points for being rear or all-wheel-drive and has a limited-slip differential. 😍

13 hours ago, MrG2 said:

Toyota need to make cars like my bby here 🙂

1635E79F-C2CD-4F47-9460-3C467DF6C4B0.jpeg

Is this your very car or were you just using hyperbole? If it's really yours, I'm envious as hell of the gem you've got!

Internal Moderator

Toyota GR Corolla Makes Stealthy Appearance In Hatchback Photo

source: https://www.motor1.com/news/552121/toyota-gr-corolla-teaser-photo/

Oh Toyota, quit trying to be sneaky. Honestly, this time we don't even have to dig deep for clues on the forthcoming GR Corolla, though some Photoshop trickery does help. We'll get to that in a moment.

This is the second such teaser we've seen in the last week or so regarding the hotly anticipated hot hatchback, but we still haven't received an official announcement from Toyota regarding its existence. The GR Corolla isn't exactly front and center in this recent photo shared on Toyota's Instagram account, but it's certainly not invisible, either.

corollateaser1.jpg

On that front, we took some creative liberty with light settings in Photoshop, while zooming in for good measure. Honestly, we were expecting things to remain shadowed, as automakers are hip to such moves from us media types. Imagine our surprise, then, when a GR Corolla prototype came into view with surprising detail. We can't clearly see design tweaks, but the front fascia looks a bit more aggressive. Perhaps more importantly, we can

corollateaser2.jpg

That stands for all-wheel-drive, which should underpin GR Corolla's body. Rumors say it will connect to the same turbocharged 1.6-liter three-cylinder engine found in the GR Yaris, developing a positively heroic 268 horsepower (200 kilowatts). The GR Yaris also sports a six-speed manual transmission, so it's possible the row-your-own fans could have another reason to celebrate. Considering the Corolla already offers a manual, it's not a stretch to expect it in a hotter version.

Toyota's previous GR Corolla teaser spelled out many of these details but was short on visuals. This time around, either someone forgot to obscure the GR Corolla in darkness, or Toyota absolutely meant for us to uncover the details. Hopefully, this means we won't be waiting for nearly a year to see the hot hatch revealed, as a previous report suggested.

(edited)
2 hours ago, Mrmilktooth said:

Such a small car.. selling around 160/180k (wild guess) with catB  coe?..😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

$250k at least

This car is not for family man that drive wagen.

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Edited by inlinesix
  • Haha! 1

3 hours ago, Mrmilktooth said:

Such a small car.. selling around 160/180k (wild guess) with catB  coe?..😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

its will be as expensive as fk8 

1 hour ago, DylanChen said:

its will be as expensive as fk8 

Not sure got RHD or not.

Toyota.jp shows LHD interior

↡ Advertisement