Deep Forest Raceway returns in Gran Turismo 7!

enzoalec92

It's really heartening to see a few of the classic tracks from the PS1 era (Deep Forest Raceway, High Speed Ring, Trial Mountain Circuit, etc.) return to GT7, and while I understand why Polyphony changed up their layouts (better overtaking opportunities for eSports), it's also quite sad to see they have been desecrated just for that purpose.

image.png.c6ce2480285b91c609b1099a3e23dff2.png

To me, these tracks are sacred and represent a much simpler time in gaming. I just hope the final released game offers both the traditional and revamped layouts in single-player mode, much like how GT6 offered 5 variants of Circuit de La Sarthe, reflecting the changes made over the decades. Then again, others probably don't care and it's just me being a boomer at this point.

image.png.aa159568c973b30ca59a8565f1e8ddf2.png

image.png.63e3ff32525786f5dc13d5cf7f3bfc2e.png

<Gran Turismo 7 Brings Back Another Fan-Favorite Fictional Circuit In A Big Way
Deep Forest Raceway receives a new lease on life and a controversial final sector change for GT7.

ezgif.com-gif-maker.gif.f4350d3ffbe211f945306fa28af764b9.gif
Gif: PlayStation Studios

When Trial Mountain appeared in the first trailer for Gran Turismo 7 more than a year ago, longtime fans pumped their fists into the air. The fictional circuit — present in every Gran Turismo except for the Prologue entries and GT Sport — will return fully remodeled in 4K, with variable weather and time-of-day change taking advantage of the full power of the PlayStation 5. It will be a treat for anyone who grew up with these games, and it’s not the only nostalgic gift Polyphony Digital has packed into GT7.

Eagle-eyed followers had an inkling Deep Forest was coming back — the course’s recognizable ribbon appeared in several development diary-type videos released over the last two months. Back in 2017 and just after GT Sport’s release, series producer Kazunori Yamauchi told GTPlanet that while his team already had Deep Forest running in the game, the course was far from complete. It will be ready for GT7. Like Trial Mountain, it looks phenomenal.

Deep Forest’s signature undulating front straight and descent into Turn 1 is still intact. Actually, most of the course’s first two sectors are pretty much just as you remember them, with some minor tweaks to encourage fair and eventful racing. For example, the concrete surface inside Turn 4 — a patch often used by your jerk friend to illegally overtake you in split-screen battles — has now been festooned with sausage curbs that will unsettle cars passing over top. I anticipate Polyphony will enforce strict track limits around that section for online play, too.

All of the tunnels are still exactly where you remember them. I’ve seen some fans complain that the canopy of trees overhead doesn’t cover as much of the view above as it used to, making this forest feel less, well, deep. But that was sort of unrealistic from an environmental standpoint to begin with, and PS1 and PS2 games had wonky proportions. Seriously, go back and play GT1 or GT2 if you don’t get what I mean — billboards and trees were the size of office buildings in those games.

image.png.780d43c42743893f15ea9b1a423ce5b2.png
Deep Forest then and now — how the track appeared in GT6 and earlier on the left, versus its new layout in GT7. Illustration: PlayStation Studios/Adam Ismail

Some corners have clearly been reprofiled in the first sector — most notably Turn 10, the last before the back straight. In the original Deep Forest, this was a more relaxed bend with a very punishing outer rock wall that left absolutely no margin for error. For GT7 it’s been made tighter and serves as the circuit’s second real overtaking zone after the first corner.

Oh, and speaking of overtaking zones, it’s probably time we discuss that change — the new shape of what I guess you’d call Turn 11. In every other Gran Turismo, this has never been anything other than a fast, downhill left-hand sweeper; if you don’t recall the turn’s original shape, watch the comparison video below courtesy of MotoGames TV. The players in this video reach this part of the track at different times, mind you, so the corner will arrive first in the GT6 snippet.

Rather than descending at speed immediately following the final tunnel, GT7's Deep Forest leads you right into a braking zone approaching an acute hairpin. This is surely going to ruffle some feathers, but personally I don’t mind it. The track could’ve used another spot for passing opportunities, especially given how Polyphony has courted professional, competitive play with the FIA World Championship.

Following that, we have a long drop into a valley, where a maintenance van can be seen traveling on a bridge overhead. It’s little touches like this that endear me to GT7's reimagining of classic courses. I know we all love quaint “old-school” racetracks, but there’s something gratifying and comforting about contextualizing Trial Mountain and Deep Forest as real places in the world that have evolved over the last two-and-a-half decades.

Picture it like this: These were small-time, local or club circuits at first, then gained notoriety over the years and have now reached FIA Grade 1 status. But they still haven’t lost their most defining characteristics, as many world-famous venues tend to when they’re renovated. It’s the perfect blend of honoring the past while thrusting into the present, and I cannot wait to experience both favorites when GT7 releases in March. Personally, I hope Polyphony’s planning similar treatment for Midfield Raceway or Grand Valley.>

↡ Advertisement

(edited)
57 minutes ago, Stratovarius said:

Trial Mt and deep forest are my fave in gt. A very fun track to go against friends.

I also like the Tokyo track but think it was removed on gt6.

Yeah, they've become staples of the series, appearing in every title except PS4's GT Sport. It's not hard to see why, since Kazunori Yamauchi has even stated on several occasions that his favourite fantasy track from the series is Deep Forest Raceway.

For the latter, do you mean Tokyo R246? It debuted in GT3 and has appeared in every game till date except for GT Sport as well:

image.png.b698e0a179547ec1f095e7ef2fb643f6.png

It's a thoroughly enjoyable track with some easter eggs in GT5, and its layout is actually based on real-life Tokyo streets

Edited by enzoalec92
Additional references for Tokyo R246

1 hour ago, enzoalec92 said:

Yeah, they've become staples of the series, appearing in every title except PS4's GT Sport. It's not hard to see why, since Kazunori Yamauchi has even stated on several occasions that his favourite fantasy track from the series is Deep Forest Raceway.

For the latter, do you mean Tokyo R246? It debuted in GT3 and has appeared in every game till date except for GT Sport as well:

It's a thoroughly enjoyable track with some easter eggs in GT5, and its layout is actually based on real-life Tokyo streets

The R246 is one of my faves also but im not referring to this. Did some search and think is called special stage or something. There are 2 configuration; one with expressway and another with more corners. 

1 hour ago, enzoalec92 said:

Did some search and I'm actually referring to the hong kong track. And it's in gt4. Don't remember it appearing in later games.

17 minutes ago, Stratovarius said:

The R246 is one of my faves also but im not referring to this. Did some search and think is called special stage or something. There are 2 configuration; one with expressway and another with more corners. 

Oh, you mean Special Stage Route 5 and Special Stage Route 7?

SSR7 exists only in GT5 and GT6 and is the recreation of the Shuto Expressway, especially that of the Wangan route.

image.png.f3902c647c627ebb6c0dcc2a7f71229d.png

Meanwhile, SSR5 - and its shorter Clubman Stage Route 5 variant - is another GT series staple, having been around in every game since the start, except for GT Sport. Hopefully, it makes a return in GT7, either to be announced later or added as part of a subsequent DLC update.

image.png.d67ebc4083391706c4ab80ae43c1afd3.png

There are also 2 other tracks utilising the "Special Stage Route" name, one of which (SSR11) is set within the same vicinity (point #3 within the "Trivia" section) as SSR5, while the other (SSRX) is set in an industrial bay area.

There exists deeper lore into how they're all related - as well as an unofficial reveal of the unreleased "secret" layout of SSRX - but I won't bore you with the details unless you're interested. As you can see, I've wasted invested way too much of my life than is healthy on educating myself about the GT universe! 😂

• Haha! 1

22 minutes ago, Stratovarius said:

Did some search and I'm actually referring to the hong kong track. And it's in gt4. Don't remember it appearing in later games.

Ah, I'm not all that familiar with the PS2-era tracks as I somewhat skipped that console generation. Thanks for seeking it out and sharing it though!

2 hours ago, enzoalec92 said:

Ah, I'm not all that familiar with the PS2-era tracks as I somewhat skipped that console generation. Thanks for seeking it out and sharing it though!

Was gonna say dl the emulator and try it but old gt games are not classic. The newer ones are usually better than the previous iteration. But gt4 is probably the 2nd deepest gt game I got into with gt5 being the first. I just did not have the feeling for 6 as it is quite similar to 5 and skipped Sport totally.