New Zealand bans smoking

BabyBlade

Internal Moderator

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10291649/Radical-new-laws-stop-young-people-buying-cigarettes-New-Zealand-goes-smoke-free.html?ito=social-facebook

Anyone aged under 14 will be banned from EVER buying cigarettes in their life

The age limit will be increased each year until it's illegal throughout New Zealand

The target is to wipe out smoking entirely by 2025 as part of 15-year scheme

Other changes include only allowing the sale of tobacco with low nicotine levels

However, the new law will not impact vaping, with Dr Verrall saying tobacco smoking is more harmful and remains a leading cause of preventable deaths in New Zealand, killing up to 5,000 people each year.

So everyone will just switch to vape there, which is illegal in Singapore. I'm waiting for tobacco tax comments.

Those driving EV should be the first to quit smoking because it's quite the hypocrisy to claim you're going green to help the fight in climate change yet not know that all phases of cigarette production contribute to greenhouse gas emission, and let's not forget the consumption. I could be wrong but I'm sure there's a significant amount of environmental footprint with the carbon dioxide and pollutants released into the atmosphere. 😶

So let's go full EV and quit smoking by 2040 or make it sooner, 2030.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 14

10 minutes ago, Turboflat4 said:

That country's PM has balls. Not literal ones but far more than our supposed strong LEEdership. 

Theirs ban smoking, ours ban chewing gum mah... :D

• Haha! 9

heard on radio discussing about this.

its a very clever move. kids under 14 had not been expose to cigarettes yet , so if we ban them life time cannot buy cigarettes, it not going to have any effect on their life at all.

And kids under 14 is not going to the street to protest.

we should seriously copy this move if we really want to fix our smoking problem

• Praise 8

1 minute ago, Yeshe said:

Theirs ban smoking, ours ban chewing gum mah... :D

Yup. That shows our LEEdership has balls. After all, everyone knows bubble gum chewing kids are more garang than ciggie smoking pai kias. 😁

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 10

I fully support this.

Here the approach is to make the tax as high as possible. A pack costs about $15. 

The sad part is this is an addiction, and i hate the idea of making it available everywhere and taxing the addicts. We can say they should have stronger willpower etc etc but come on... 

• Praise 3

3 minutes ago, Beregond said:

We should seriously copy this move if we really want to fix our smoking problem

Problem? What problem? 

The extra tax is a problem? 

The extra customs fine revenue on illegally smuggled ciggies is a problem? 

The people dying is a problem? Maybe...but then again... (1:10 onward)

• Haha! 6

All activities involve carbon emissions in some form. While I’m not a smoker, all activities have a carbon footprint, so it’s not really fair to single out EVs vs. the hypocrisy of smoking. People wanting to go green should do so across the board - less travel, more sustainable food choices, lifestyle, even how many children we choose to have, etc.

The elephant in the room is that as long as there are plants on this earth turning solar energy into starch, we are going to have more and more carbon, and have to devise ever more ways of dealing with it. And we need plants, else there’s no oxygen.

All we’re doing “going green” is just delaying the depletion of the finite resource of carbon storage, to keep the planet habitable for as long as possible.

51 minutes ago, BabyBlade said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10291649/Radical-new-laws-stop-young-people-buying-cigarettes-New-Zealand-goes-smoke-free.html?ito=social-facebook

Anyone aged under 14 will be banned from EVER buying cigarettes in their life

The age limit will be increased each year until it's illegal throughout New Zealand

The target is to wipe out smoking entirely by 2025 as part of 15-year scheme

Other changes include only allowing the sale of tobacco with low nicotine levels

However, the new law will not impact vaping, with Dr Verrall saying tobacco smoking is more harmful and remains a leading cause of preventable deaths in New Zealand, killing up to 5,000 people each year.

So everyone will just switch to vape there, which is illegal in Singapore. I'm waiting for tobacco tax comments.

Those driving EV should be the first to quit smoking because it's quite the hypocrisy to claim you're going green to help the fight in climate change yet not know that all phases of cigarette production contribute to greenhouse gas emission, and let's not forget the consumption. I could be wrong but I'm sure there's a significant amount of environmental footprint with the carbon dioxide and pollutants released into the atmosphere. 😶

So let's go full EV and quit smoking by 2040 or make it sooner, 2030.

Entirely by 2035, 2025 is just 5 years away. 

• Praise 1

This will never happen here, our garmen will loss huge tax collection. Then GST need to go up further.

Edited by Tohto
  • Praise 2
  • Haha! 5

15 minutes ago, Macrosszero said:

All activities involve carbon emissions in some form. While I’m not a smoker, all activities have a carbon footprint, so it’s not really fair to single out EVs vs. the hypocrisy of smoking. People wanting to go green should do so across the board - less travel, more sustainable food choices, lifestyle, even how many children we choose to have, etc.

The elephant in the room is that as long as there are plants on this earth turning solar energy into starch, we are going to have more and more carbon, and have to devise ever more ways of dealing with it. And we need plants, else there’s no oxygen.

All we’re doing “going green” is just delaying the depletion of the finite resource of carbon storage, to keep the planet habitable for as long as possible.

this is not about going gren.

but about health problems cause by smoking

33 minutes ago, Turboflat4 said:

That country's PM has balls. Not literal ones but far more than our supposed strong LEEdership. 

Totally agree. Only ball-less guys running the show over here. 

Just reduce the number of tobacco licences by 10% every year, and let the outlets bid for the reduced licenses like COE till it is ZERO in 10 years' time. 

Starting with NTUC Fairprice and Cheers giving up all its licences.

Let's see some balls. 

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 5

Have to say, that's a pretty communist move for a Western country. Granted that minors are being targeted for the above measures.

This is coming from a non-smoker. 

• Praise 3

3 minutes ago, Beregond said:

this is not about going gren.

but about health problems cause by smoking

And the bl@@dy littering. Smoking and littering goes together. I always hope smokers quickly get their lung cancers and stop littering then. 

Edited by Volvobrick
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 6

39 minutes ago, Turboflat4 said:

They have soft balls, We have marbles!🤐

Jacinda Ardern takes care of her people. Ours takes care of revenue!

Edited by Fitvip
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2
  • Haha! 4