products to remove tree gum on paint & glass

ConnorMcLeod

Hi All, not sure if this is the right term but I got this glue/caramel/gum like thing dripped from the flowers or fruits from trees on my car's body and windscreen.

when i spot it, sometimes it was not fully hardened, and rubbing to remove it may end up smearing it over a bigger area. onced dried/ hardened, it is like semi-transparent on the windscreen and not effect when I scrub it.

what home-made remedy or off the shelf products I can use remove these stubborn glue-like thing? 

↡ Advertisement

1 hour ago, ConnorMcLeod said:

Hi All, not sure if this is the right term but I got this glue/caramel/gum like thing dripped from the flowers or fruits from trees on my car's body and windscreen.

when i spot it, sometimes it was not fully hardened, and rubbing to remove it may end up smearing it over a bigger area. onced dried/ hardened, it is like semi-transparent on the windscreen and not effect when I scrub it.

what home-made remedy or off the shelf products I can use remove these stubborn glue-like thing? 

https://www.shinearmor.com/blogs/news/how-to-remove-tree-sap-from-car

• Praise 1

5 minutes ago, ConnorMcLeod said:

@Ct3833 thanks. So it's called tree sap. Will give the suggestion in the article a try. 

you may want to try goole around and see if there are other better solutions. 

Internal Moderator
1 hour ago, ConnorMcLeod said:

I have plenty of iso alcohol swabs with me. Looks convenient just slap one on the windscreen to see if it softens the hardened sap. 

I do not recommend alcohol swabs thou. as the alcohol might wear off the lacquers.

There is a few go-to product for this, such as turtle wax bug and tar remover.

https://shopee.sg/Turtle-Wax-Bug-n-Tar-Remover-T-520-i.212030269.4512605295?sp_atk=fc7d0e14-b5de-4c09-8ff4-0d4bfb1f4b5d

For my own usage, I always like to use smth more old sch like Soft99 wax and polish off the whole car after a wash.

https://shopee.sg/SOFT99-10020-Metaclean-i.114887211.1910370828?sp_atk=347dddb3-449a-43fc-a971-91d20fa345ec

Then every week after wash, you can spray on some sonax quick detailer to make it even more lasting.

https://shopee.sg/Sonax-Xtreme-Ceramic-Ultra-Slick-Quick-Detailer-750ml-i.94678288.10844590972?sp_atk=2b1f5f6c-053f-411f-8642-dc2c257445cf

I just use thinner . Cheap and work well.

But it remove my wax at the same time.

so the affected area will need to rewax back .

Edited by Beregond

44 minutes ago, Beregond said:

I just use thinner . Cheap and work well.

But it remove my wax at the same time.

so the affected area will need to rewax back .

You didnt strip off your paint ? 😃😃😃

• Haha! 1

6 minutes ago, Ct3833 said:

You didnt strip off your paint ? 😃😃😃

wont la. our paint not so weak 😅
On top of our paint got a thin layer of wax already .

Make sure to rewax back.
another other liquid u use will also contain stuff like thinner or alcohol, If not its never going to come off

• Praise 1

29 minutes ago, Wildfaye29 said:

dont park under trees, lamp post

avoid tree sap, avoid resting bird poo

i rather park under the hot sun with no shelter

Birds are like bombers...got wings one ...sometimes I suspect they have some kind of competition liddat...😁

OIP (3).jpg

• Haha! 2

Nowadays no more ppl use lighter fluid?

You dont have to be a smoker to own a small bottle. I use it to remove glue residues on anything.

After you are done just  spray some car wash soap water mixture on the surface, rinse it with water.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 1

Maybe can try WD-40. It is effective in removing stickers glue, so it might be effective on what you have encountered. But need to spray on the affected area and soaked it and then clean off. I personally won't use thinner because I have experienced a drip on the paint, that drip left a mark to the clear coat as it "eat" the coat leaving it matt finished. 

• Praise 1

Internal Moderator
4 hours ago, ConnorMcLeod said:

@kobayashiGT @kobayashiGT I tried this turtle wax polishing compound on the car body n has no noticeable effect. May try the tar remover you mention. The alcohol swab I intend only to try on the glass. 

you leave the tree sap for quite some time alrd right?

I think you will need something stronger like a rubbing compound alrd. Those spray bottle can only tackle mild effect one.

Don't use alcohol on glass. Use automotive glass cleaner.

37 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said:

you leave the tree sap for quite some time alrd right?

I think you will need something stronger like a rubbing compound alrd. Those spray bottle can only tackle mild effect one.

I wanted to remove them soonest but never succeeded so they hardened. If I can remove the new n future ones still better than do nothing. 

Look for paint shop that have this pneumatic eraser - that will remove decals, stickers etc without damaging the paint work

Eraser_unit.jpg

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1