Laopeh asking for advice - older fathers chat

therock

35 minutes ago, Dp26 said:

Literally in the process!

my own is only 17 months old now and i greatly missed those days carrying with 1 hand and cuddling to slp.

enjoy the moments!

Once go secondary school , no cute anymore..🤣

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 8

10 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

Depends. My wife never had much milk flow despite her max effort for my son. Cos not much milk for my first born. Her max effort is insane one. Until I tell her just let it be after two weeks and concentrate on getting more sleep before confinement nanny goes. 

Some women have milk until overflowing... Donate milk. 

Eating more fenugreek and drinking fenugreek tea helps with production (also good for upsizing). Chinese hardly use it; Indians use it very frequently. I've yet to meet a flat-chested Indian woman (no offence intended).

• Praise 5
  • Haha! 1

1 hour ago, therock said:

I’m quite the lobang king for other stuff so please share any deals

Once I got the positive results I went to a store but I asked for display items and they were happy to sell their demo or exhibition ones at half price as they didn’t think they’ll have any live booths or exhibitions for a while. 

my own classmate’s stuff are too old haha

with regards to strollers. i see many buy stokke, but the damn thing is heavy. I cannot imagine lugging it in and out of the boot every time one goes out. but then if one is happy.....

I would suggest to get something relatively light, unless you plan to go jogging with it.

26 minutes ago, Playtime said:

if can... breast feed best lor... better than formula and much much cheaper and healthier.

also no need all the preparation at night.

you forget that there is also nothing for him to do.😁

but must action action and wake up for the few times to show care and concern.

• Haha! 2

1 hour ago, therock said:

You’re telling me man

the delivery suite is packed !

and even waiting for epidural is agony for her 

glad your wife is taking the epidural. i told my wife the same. heard of many who wanted to feel the natural delivery only to suffer and then scream "tolong" and used epidural in the end.

• Haha! 2

4 minutes ago, Kklim said:

Eating more fenugreek and drinking fenugreek tea helps with production (also good for upsizing). Chinese hardly use it; Indians use it very frequently. I've yet to meet a flat-chested Indian woman (no offence intended).

All tried before for #1.

fenugreek makes u have a particular body odour. It comes out in your sweat. Its not a bad smell but just the fenugreek smell.

Any lactating mothers on it and spouses will notice. 

22 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

Depends. My wife never had much milk flow despite her max effort for my son. Cos not much milk for my first born. Her max effort is insane one. Until I tell her just let it be after two weeks and concentrate on getting more sleep before confinement nanny goes. 

Some women have milk until overflowing... Donate milk. 

Yah.. breast milk is best but not all mothers can produce enough milk. My wife also could not produce enough milk and was stressed over it.  Just be prepared to supplement or switch to formula if needed and dun let wife be too stressed over this.

Edited by Tkseah

Just now, Mkl22 said:

glad your wife is taking the epidural. i told my wife the same. heard of many who wanted to feel the natural delivery only to suffer and then scream "tolong" and used epidural in the end.

My wife tolerated without epidural for hours  cos she knows she will vomit after few hours on epidural from #1. She didn't want to be vomiting and in labour. 

So she timed it perfectly for #2 that she vomited shortly after going up to the ward. Then she can eat and drink after that. 

Dun just focus on baby, but also take care of the mother. Make sure that the mother is not overly stressed and be on the lookout for post natal depression.

• Praise 5

3 minutes ago, Tkseah said:

Yah.. breast milk is best but not all mothers can produce enough milk. My wife also could not produce enough milk and was stressed over it.  Just be prepared to supplement or switch to formula if needed and dun let wife be too stressed over this.

Women post delivery the first two weeks their mood is not very stable one. U have to let her try and give up. My wife was really obsessed with it. Though she wasn't depressed or anything. 

• Praise 3

2 hours ago, therock said:

Thanks bro

sleep is more important than ever

some advice on types of feed, diapers and such will be good. 
sale lobang too 🙏 

For milk powder and diapers, I recommend you go Ang Mo supermart. Check their price against Giant, fairprice, sheng shiong. You might be surprised at the difference. Right now, I settle on Lactogen 1.8kg, and Huggies pants for my boy. I didn't buy the expensive stuffs. CK also sell diapers cheap.

Edited by Kb27
  • Praise 4

23 minutes ago, Kklim said:

Right. And which medical school are you from?

We only did microbiology, cell biology and biochemistry. Dabbled a little in biophysics.

Can be construed as sexist and racer comment dah. 

Thats why selecting forever car must look at bumper head lights, tail lights, engine et cetera first. Aftermarket add on is hmmmm.

Edited by Datsun366

14 minutes ago, Mkl22 said:

with regards to strollers. i see many buy stokke, but the damn thing is heavy. I cannot imagine lugging it in and out of the boot every time one goes out. but then if one is happy.....

I would suggest to get something relatively light, unless you plan to go jogging with it.

bingo !!! many overlook this point. it works if one have a big ass Alphard with a chauffeur + helper that follows along 

For mums and dads doing it all alone , best to get Combi. Light and easy to unfold/fold with one hand. Not too expensive too. 

Similarly for diaper bags. The Kate Spade one may look swanky, but its heavy !! As far as baby stuff is concerned, its function over form for me. 

But for child seat, buy good solid brands like Britax

• Praise 7

13 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

Women post delivery the first two weeks their mood is not very stable one. U have to let her try and give up. My wife was really obsessed with it. Though she wasn't depressed or anything. 

Yah.. I believe most new mothers would feel stress when they are unable to feed the baby enough.. it is important for us to reassure them that it is ok to switch to formula instead of keep on trying.. 

• Praise 4

3 minutes ago, Kb27 said:

For milk powder and diapers, I recommend you go Ang Mo supermart. Check their price against Giant, fairprice, sheng shiong. You might be surprised at the difference. Right now, I settle on Lactogen 1.8kg, and Huggies pants for my boy. I didn't buy the expensive stuffs. CK also sell diapers cheap.

I buy Dupro, then Dugro from MY. There are some shops smaller shops that sells them. Cheap and good. My friend works in a milk company, he say all milk is the same lah. haha. He gives his kids UHT after they turn 1. 

Diapers - I used GIant branded ones (they are quite decent really) for daytime and Merries for night. 

• Praise 2

13 hours ago, therock said:

So what do I have in common with Daniel Craig, Aaron Kwok, George Clooney and Clint Eastwood ?

well I have recently joined the hallowed ranks of the Lao Pek group… the dads who are more than half a century old …

Covid times you can weep, wallow or make lemons or babies too..

And so after many years and a very long journey I am now finally a father and MCF is a helpful place filled with folks who have the experience in matters not limited to cars but little babes too. 
So I hope to get some advice on taking car of and brining up my little baby gal 😊 

in preparation I’ve gotten triple concertina wires😏, will take her karate and where it hurts on guys for the future but any further tips will be welcome 🙏 

xie xie everyone 

84EF6FC6-0FE2-40B7-9880-24C2C01542B1.jpeg

Did i read that correctly - that you are 1st timer dad at a half-century old?

Then the best advice is to keep fit and healthy - bringing up a young one is physically demanding unless most things are taken care of by wifey who is housewife. Or you have a maid.

Otherwise, job demands, with additional household chores and childcare chores will wear you out pretty fast.

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

6 minutes ago, Othello said:

I buy Dupro, then Dugro from MY. There are some shops smaller shops that sells them. Cheap and good. My friend works in a milk company, he say all milk is the same lah. haha. He gives his kids UHT after they turn 1. 

Diapers - I used GIant branded ones (they are quite decent really) for daytime and Merries for night. 

My kids drinking fresh milk after one year also. 

My son still use drypers wee wee dry. Good enough. 

↡ Advertisement