2022 Volvo XC60

s2s

I got 2022 XC60 B5, the facelift comes with Android entertainment system, I like the new system than the old one in my previous 2018 XC60, specially on the more practical navigation system - Google Maps. But there is a big downside - no road signs info for Singapore! No speed limit sign, no speed camera sign/warning, no school zone sign... Can't believe it is totally unavailable in the latest Volvo car model as it seems to be a basic feature in a car system nowadays.

Is this Volvo or Google's problem?

Edited by s2s
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Internal Moderator

Issit smth to do with your android car setting? I don't think is Volvo problem. Since the OS u are using is Andriod car auto. If is their proprietary maps, then different story.

55 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said:

Issit smth to do with your android car setting? I don't think is Volvo problem. Since the OS u are using is Andriod car auto. If is their proprietary maps, then different story.

Just use WAZE

2 hours ago, kobayashiGT said:

It is not android auto, it is the native android OS adapted for Volvo, I am not sure if Volvo or Google is managing the feedbacks on this OS.

it comes with built-in SIM and Android Play Store so I can download apps directly into car OS without the need of connecting mobile phone. But suitable apps are quite limited, there are Google Maps, YouTube Music, Spotify, and some radio apps.

I don’t see any option in its Google Maps to enable road signs.

• Haha! 1

2 hours ago, kobayashiGT said:

1 hour ago, inlinesix said:

Just use WAZE

Waze is not available.

Apple CarPlay will be supported in next March I heard, so for now I am relying on those apps that this OS supports.

• Praise 2

1 hour ago, Arogab said:

Bro, got facelift? How about interior? Got photo?

Yeah the 2022 facelift, mainly changes on mild hybrid and android entertainment system. Exterior some minor changes, interior almost no change. If you go Volvo website or sgcarmart, the pictures of xc60 should be all 2022 model already.

• Praise 2

If you watch the 2022 Volvo android os review in YouTube, you can see in those countries like UK, US, Germany, there is an option in car OS settings (not in Google Maps settings) to enable road sign. But I couldn’t find the same option in my car. That’s why I am wondering who the hell is responding for this feature, Volvo or Google?

Edited by s2s

It's actually slightly more complicated than that. Road Sign Info (RSI), afaik, has been a standard feature on all Volvos here in SG for the longest time when they were still on the previous generation Sensus navigation system. Android Automotive O/S on Volvo and Polestar is still very new globally, so I'm guessing its really a software integration problem that they had to sort it out now that the map data is dependent on Google. It will most likely be addressed by an OTA (Over The Air) software update which you MY22 is capable of. 

On my previous Volvo, RSI works on Volvo by the forward facing camera (traffic sign recognition) AND the car's GPS reading off the map's navigation data in order to tell you the road signs / speed limits etc in the instrument display. I suspect it could be the latter which Volvo has yet to sort out, now that the cars have transitioned to Google Maps instead of their own proprietary map previously. The former is most likely not the cause as I'm sure all of the Volvos still have the forward facing camera (you can see a lens at the top of your windscreen from the outside). 

And RSI on contrary belief, is NOT standard even on the Germans and Lexus. On the Germans, its a payable option (you need Driving Assistance Professional package on BMW and MB to have the ADAS features). Lexus AFAIK, require LSS+ 2.0 which isn't available for SG yet. 

• Praise 2

Internal Moderator
1 hour ago, s2s said:

It is not android auto, it is the native android OS adapted for Volvo, I am not sure if Volvo or Google is managing the feedbacks on this OS.

it comes with built-in SIM and Android Play Store so I can download apps directly into car OS without the need of connecting mobile phone. But suitable apps are quite limited, there are Google Maps, YouTube Music, Spotify, and some radio apps.

I don’t see any option in its Google Maps to enable road signs.

Cannot help you liao like that. 🤣 My apple car play can do everything. Bring me home safely. 🤣

1 hour ago, s2s said:

If you watch the 2022 Volvo android os review in YouTube, you can see in those countries like UK, US, Germany, there is an option in car OS settings (not in Google Maps settings) to enable road sign. But I couldn’t find the same option in my car. That’s why I am wondering who the hell is responding for this feature, Volvo or Google?

volvo. google just provides the framework. volvo and their 3rd party navigation unit supplier needs to implement whatever they need.

• Praise 1

29 minutes ago, Lethalstrike said:

It's actually slightly more complicated than that. Road Sign Info (RSI), afaik, has been a standard feature on all Volvos here in SG for the longest time when they were still on the previous generation Sensus navigation system. Android Automotive O/S on Volvo and Polestar is still very new globally, so I'm guessing its really a software integration problem that they had to sort it out now that the map data is dependent on Google. It will most likely be addressed by an OTA (Over The Air) software update which you MY22 is capable of. 

On my previous Volvo, RSI works on Volvo by the forward facing camera (traffic sign recognition) AND the car's GPS reading off the map's navigation data in order to tell you the road signs / speed limits etc in the instrument display. I suspect it could be the latter which Volvo has yet to sort out, now that the cars have transitioned to Google Maps instead of their own proprietary map previously. The former is most likely not the cause as I'm sure all of the Volvos still have the forward facing camera (you can see a lens at the top of your windscreen from the outside). 

And RSI on contrary belief, is NOT standard even on the Germans and Lexus. On the Germans, its a payable option (you need Driving Assistance Professional package on BMW and MB to have the ADAS features). Lexus AFAIK, require LSS+ 2.0 which isn't available for SG yet. 

Almost all new bmw's now have Driving Assistance Professional or higher as standard btw. even the lowest 1 series. 

2 hours ago, s2s said:

Yeah the 2022 facelift, mainly changes on mild hybrid and android entertainment system. Exterior some minor changes, interior almost no change. If you go Volvo website or sgcarmart, the pictures of xc60 should be all 2022 model already.

Thanks Bro

58 minutes ago, Lethalstrike said:

Don’t think it is due to hardware or software integration, it is already available in other countries like UK, US, Germany… if Volvo owns the RSI data in SG, it can be done as simple as feeding the data.

42 minutes ago, Mkl22 said:

volvo. google just provides the framework. volvo and their 3rd party navigation unit supplier needs to implement whatever they need.

As explained above, RSI is available in other countries, to me it is due to technical problem.

@s2s 

53 minutes ago, s2s said:

As explained above, RSI is available in other countries, to me it is due to technical problem.

I meant, not due to technical problem.

4 hours ago, s2s said:

Don’t think it is due to hardware or software integration, it is already available in other countries like UK, US, Germany… if Volvo owns the RSI data in SG, it can be done as simple as feeding the data.

You won't ever know the real reason behind. Could it be geographical? Specs do differ from region to region. The RSI data from Google maps may not be ready yet for South East Asia. Unless MY22 cars in Malaysia has it now and we don't, then what you've said may be true. 

• Praise 1

5 hours ago, Lalaisgongon said:

Almost all new bmw's now have Driving Assistance Professional or higher as standard btw. even the lowest 1 series. 

Good to know PML has woke up their idea. C&C still hasn't, the last time I've looked at their specs. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1