Singapore: Is it really the most expensive place to live?

SGMCF328

Do you agree with the reasoning put up by gov.sg?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree with the reasoning put up by gov.sg?

• Yes
    • Partially
    • No
    • I don't care

On 1/14/2022 at 3:18 PM, 13177 said:

But maybe he ownself think ownself that he can lead SG? 😅

I think later let him ownself vote onwself. 😬

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 2

$82K-$83K COE ....

nabei ... soon only Bentley can drive into school in the future .... LOL

Edited by Wt_know
  • Haha! 3

11 minutes ago, Wt_know said:

$82K-$83K COE ....

nabei ... soon only Bentley can drive into school in the future .... LOL

Real hi klass drives RR 🤭

41 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

Real hi klass drives RR 🤭

agreed ... no plate must be all 37 hor ...  :grin:

Edited by Wt_know
  • Haha! 1

We all work so hard because it's expensive!

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/singapore/jail-pest-control-technician-who-refused-swab-test-mc-he-wanted-s100-work-incentive-2442271

Jail for pest control technician who refused swab test, MC as he wanted S$100 work incentive

SINGAPORE: A pest control technician who suffered from a cough for three weeks went to a doctor and was told to take a COVID-19 swab test and stay home during the period of his medical leave.

However, the 60-year-old man refused to do so, telling the doctor he would have to forfeit a S$100 work incentive from his company if he took medical leave.

He continued to work the next day and went on job calls at five locations, including at a police station.

A Rahim M Taha was jailed for five weeks on Tuesday (Jan 18). He pleaded guilty to one count of exposing others to the risk of infection of COVID-19 under the Infectious Diseases Act.

istock-1212600168.jpg?itok=GGX3j4zX

• Shocked 1

Back to office, I decided to take public transport...

1. Journey to work:  bus from home bus stop -> Main bus to town 

2. Lunch :  Go to preferred makan place 3 bus stops away and back

3. Journey home: Mrt -> bus to home

1. $3

2. $2 

3. $3

It was eye-opening, top up $10 the day before, end of 1 working day it already gave low value warning at mrt exit. With all the waiting time, I'll stick to driving. 

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

23 minutes ago, Karoon said:

1. $3

2. $2 

3. $3

It was eye-opening, top up $10 the day before, end of 1 working day it already gave low value warning at mrt exit. With all the waiting time, I'll stick to driving. 

With mytransport app, you can reduce your bus waiting time.

1 hour ago, Karoon said:

1. $3

2. $2 

3. $3

Ya, taking public transport to work indeed save more than driving to work, esp if need to pay parking at workplace, paying for some of the season parking already can kill you. Lol. But har, with all the long waiting time wasted in waiting for public transport also can kill you lo. So if choose between the worse from the worse, i rather choose to drive. 😅

Edited by 13177

6 hours ago, inlinesix said:

That's true. But if u are not blessed with a direct bus, there's still more waiting.

23 hours ago, Windwaver said:

We all work so hard because it's expensive!

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/singapore/jail-pest-control-technician-who-refused-swab-test-mc-he-wanted-s100-work-incentive-2442271

Jail for pest control technician who refused swab test, MC as he wanted S$100 work incentive

SINGAPORE: A pest control technician who suffered from a cough for three weeks went to a doctor and was told to take a COVID-19 swab test and stay home during the period of his medical leave.

However, the 60-year-old man refused to do so, telling the doctor he would have to forfeit a S$100 work incentive from his company if he took medical leave.

He continued to work the next day and went on job calls at five locations, including at a police station.

A Rahim M Taha was jailed for five weeks on Tuesday (Jan 18). He pleaded guilty to one count of exposing others to the risk of infection of COVID-19 under the Infectious Diseases Act.

istock-1212600168.jpg?itok=GGX3j4zX

Ok I applaud her. 👏👏👏

This must be the most sensible quote she said as SEP in 2022.

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/case-of-man-who-refused-covid-19-test-to-earn-extra-100-shows-why-workers-need-to-be-paid-better-president-halimah

• Praise 1

22 hours ago, inlinesix said:

16 hours ago, Karoon said:

That's true. But if u are not blessed with a direct bus, there's still more waiting.

mytransport app is good when you are leaving from your house/office, cause you can control the time you walk to the bus-stop. But if i am taking MRT and need to change to bus, this one difficult to control, since sometimes by the time i walk to bus stop from MRT, might missed the bus and needs to wait for another 10 mins plus for next bus.

Whether got direct bus or not, i find taking bus always need to spend many waiting time, since bus interval averagely at least 10 mins.

• Praise 1

9 minutes ago, 13177 said:

mytransport app is good when you are leaving from your house/office, cause you can control the time you walk to the bus-stop. But if i am taking MRT and need to change to bus, this one difficult to control, since sometimes by the time i walk to bus stop from MRT, might missed the bus and needs to wait for another 10 mins plus for next bus.

Whether got direct bus or not, i find taking bus always need to spend many waiting time, since bus interval averagely at least 10 mins.

Yup. And my other issue is the way buses are routed these days. Last time there were feeder buses, go interchange, and take main bus that ply major routes.

Nowadays, you take one bus that app says will take you direct to your destination 15km away. But after half hour in the bus, its only 2 mrt stops away from your boarding place because it went round and round the estate, like a greedy pacman that wants to eat all the pebbles on all paths, maximise commuters. So, you end up doing all kinds of mrt and bus combinations to save time. And if you transfer bus interchange-> mrt station, you'll be soaking wet in sweat because you'll likely walk a long distance in our humidity.

Change mrt-mrt? There is a big train station in Paris where 10 Metro and intercity trains meet.Chatelet. I feel i'm walking longer making mrt transfers on our lines. 

So not only is public transport not cheap, but also inefficient. 

• Praise 2

1 hour ago, Karoon said:

Yup. And my other issue is the way buses are routed these days. Last time there were feeder buses, go interchange, and take main bus that ply major routes.

Nowadays, you take one bus that app says will take you direct to your destination 15km away. But after half hour in the bus, its only 2 mrt stops away from your boarding place because it went round and round the estate, like a greedy pacman that wants to eat all the pebbles on all paths, maximise commuters. So, you end up doing all kinds of mrt and bus combinations to save time. And if you transfer bus interchange-> mrt station, you'll be soaking wet in sweat because you'll likely walk a long distance in our humidity.

Change mrt-mrt? There is a big train station in Paris where 10 Metro and intercity trains meet.Chatelet. I feel i'm walking longer making mrt transfers on our lines. 

So not only is public transport not cheap, but also inefficient. 

Quite true that the so called direct buses to your destination usually went round and round to maximise commuters, really waste lots of time not only in waiting for the bus and also time spend on the bus. And if i sit in the bus that went round and round, confirmed will trigger my motion sickness with long distance with the stopping and jerking on the bus. [sweatdrop]  Even though many people would still find our public transport is very good compared to other countries la.

On 1/20/2022 at 11:46 AM, Karoon said:

1. $3

2. $2 

3. $3

Yeah, so WFO is much better for the economy :grin:

• Haha! 1

3 hours ago, 13177 said:

I have MRT right at my doorstep (almost). Usually I skipped bus.

The only time I take bus is I am lazy to walk to DTL station.

6 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

I have MRT right at my doorstep (almost). Usually I skipped bus.

The only time I take bus is I am lazy to walk to DTL station.

I'm three bus stops away from DTL with loads of buses that, mostly, I can get anywhere i need to, directly.

Bus is cheaper than MRT but takes longer, but can usually get a seat and if not then at least after everybody gets off at MRT. The new green snail buses are slow on-board, and worse when in the car behind them. Overall, the system is pretty good and not so expensive - if I remember, the cheapest ticket on the Tube is like GBP4.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1