Trip to UK VTL flight December 2021

Boringchap

On 12/29/2021 at 9:44 PM, Boringchap said:

How was your on-arrival PCR test experience? Our wasn't great as there was some bunching of flights and we ended up queueing up for about 45 minutes after a long flight.  No fun.

For info of all readers, the on-arrival PCR cost is now $125/pax.  You are supposed to book and pay for the test prior to arrival, using the Changi Airport Safe Travel concierge - https://safetravel.changiairport.com/#/ 

Take note that this safetravel concierge page is different from the ICA page - all travellers coming into Singapore have to submit online an SG e-arrival card - https://www.ica.gov.sg/enter-depart/entry_requirements/sg-arrival-card

Bro thanks for all the sharing... make me feel even more like travelling...

Just a question about the Safe Concierge:

1. If my kids don't need to take on-arrival PCR test, must register on Safe Concierge? The last time I tried doing registration, end up my children (9 months & 2 years old) also got charged for the on-arrival PCR test.

2. If don't register and pre-book PCR test then how? Just queue longer is it?

This part not clear from all the FAQs as usual... so would like to hear from you... thanks!

↡ Advertisement

On 12/29/2021 at 9:38 PM, Boringchap said:

Questions

6. What kind of restrictions were there when in places of interest? Like the castles, museums, cafes, restaurants? Can capacity limits or not?

7. Was it very cold and rainy every day? Your plans got washed out by the weather or not?

When we planned the trip, we were very clear in our heads that this trip was about relaxing and spending time together as a family.   Yes, we had a detailed plan of the sights that we wanted to see but we also planned with flexibility in mind.  As we were driving around in England and Wales, we chose waterfalls, castles and even beaches!  The tourist load was very light at these more remote places, so there wasn't any problems with restrictions at all. They probably had some capacity limits, but we never had an issue with that.

We wanted to see some nature, and Wales had some waterfalls.  Below videos gives you a glimpse of some of the waterfalls we saw.  The Henrhyd Falls was very cool.  We could walk behind it!

Also managed to view the Sgydau Sycryd cascades.  I did spend some time researching the easy waterfalls to get to.  Some of the waterfalls required long walks.  Those that I ended up choosing only required short hikes, fortunately.  

We also visited some castles.  These were outdoors, and we figured it would be more COVID-friendly so long as they weren't crowded.

Raglan castle is one example.  Nice and scenic.  The air was fresh! 

Another castle we visited was Chepstow Castle.

Yes, it was quite cold on some days, and we were even caught in Storm Barra! 

As you can see, making YouTube videos on my channel is my hobby and it extends my holidays because I have so much footage that it will take weeks, maybe months for me to make all these videos.  

Happy to answer any more questions! 

Very nice my type of holiday... been to Wales twice but mostly visit the South - Gower Peninsula, Swansea, Brecon Beacons... always wanted to visit Snowdonia but just too far a drive...

Two questions:

1. How was the weather in UK? Was it raining a lot? I understand no snow in Nov/Dec... did the weather disrupt your plans massively since you were outdoors mostly?

2. Beaches are nice but how to swim? Super cold right? The water must be freezing...

• Praise 1

On 12/30/2021 at 11:12 PM, Silver_blade said:

Nice post on your UK trip.

I was thinking of making a trip to the UK for an extended family gathering during X'mas but wife didn't want to go thru all the test so we decided to give it a miss again.

I really miss the UK, especially London where I still have many friends there and people in the neighbourhood I used to lived. I used to go to Wong Kei until I have children cos they insist that everyone, including my young kids, have to order a dish each. So I went over to Four Seasons or Young Cheng more often and Wong Kei only for take away.   

Wah got like that one ah? Insist kids order and cannot share?

• Praise 1

On 12/31/2021 at 1:49 PM, Beanoyip said:

Yes still partially shut, the incoming still limited, but outgoing is free for all.

Tourist would only be Singapore VTL.

Yeah I was so tempted to do Melbourne to Sydney trip by car... but alas the testing was too prohibitively expensive plus the uncertainty of being shut out of home... kids need to go to school... oh well... looking forward to a better 2022 and real holidays...

(edited)
9 hours ago, teomingern said:

Bro thanks for all the sharing... make me feel even more like travelling...

Just a question about the Safe Concierge:

1. If my kids don't need to take on-arrival PCR test, must register on Safe Concierge? The last time I tried doing registration, end up my children (9 months & 2 years old) also got charged for the on-arrival PCR test.

2. If don't register and pre-book PCR test then how? Just queue longer is it?

This part not clear from all the FAQs as usual... so would like to hear from you... thanks!

Hmmmm, I don't know all the rules leh.  For my family, all of us had to take on arrival PCR.

All I know is that if you do not pre-book and pay your PCR test, then when you arrive and after you clear immigration, you will have to scan some QR code to pay for it.  I guess that just means you may have a longer wait.  When it was our turn at the registration counter for the PCR test, the chap registered us one by one using our passports and he scanned a QR code that I received to prove that payment had been made.  I had received 4 separate QR codes after making 4 separate payments for my family members.

Edited by Boringchap
  • Praise 1

9 hours ago, teomingern said:

Very nice my type of holiday... been to Wales twice but mostly visit the South - Gower Peninsula, Swansea, Brecon Beacons... always wanted to visit Snowdonia but just too far a drive...

Two questions:

1. How was the weather in UK? Was it raining a lot? I understand no snow in Nov/Dec... did the weather disrupt your plans massively since you were outdoors mostly?

2. Beaches are nice but how to swim? Super cold right? The water must be freezing...

Yes, it rained a lot, but the rain isn't the Singapore type of thunderstorm and heavy rain.  It was light to moderate.  So all of us had a waterproof outer jacket, good walking shoes and also a small umbrella.  If the rain wasn't too heavy, we just carried on.  If the rain got too heavy, then we hid somewhere to wait for the rain to pass.  Just got to be flexible about it.

As for the beaches, no swimming.  It was too cold.  It was more to see the beach and enjoy the vastness of the ocean, as well as the incredible views.  

This video gives a glimpse of what I mean.  

• Praise 3

16 hours ago, Boringchap said:

Hmmmm, I don't know all the rules leh.  For my family, all of us had to take on arrival PCR.

All I know is that if you do not pre-book and pay your PCR test, then when you arrive and after you clear immigration, you will have to scan some QR code to pay for it.  I guess that just means you may have a longer wait.  When it was our turn at the registration counter for the PCR test, the chap registered us one by one using our passports and he scanned a QR code that I received to prove that payment had been made.  I had received 4 separate QR codes after making 4 separate payments for my family members.

Thanks bro!!! Good info to have... Cos some of these info you don't know until you do it...

16 hours ago, Boringchap said:

Yes, it rained a lot, but the rain isn't the Singapore type of thunderstorm and heavy rain.  It was light to moderate.  So all of us had a waterproof outer jacket, good walking shoes and also a small umbrella.  If the rain wasn't too heavy, we just carried on.  If the rain got too heavy, then we hid somewhere to wait for the rain to pass.  Just got to be flexible about it.

As for the beaches, no swimming.  It was too cold.  It was more to see the beach and enjoy the vastness of the ocean, as well as the incredible views.  

This video gives a glimpse of what I mean.  

Nice! Light rain or drizzle is totally fine, a cap will suffice and a light raincoat... Must find trendy raincoats which look good in photos... 😆

Just a heads up for anyone travelling to London who doesn't like being stabbed in the nose for the PCR test and also wants to take their Day 2 test as quickly as possible (ie, on arrival) so that they reduce the need to self isolate while waiting for results. 

There is now a saliva based PCR test available at LHR from the following company which is accepted by the UK Govt as the Day 2 arrival test (which must be taken anytime between arrival (ie, day 0) and Day 2) 

https://www.haloverify.com/heathrow-t5/

They are based in a hotel at T5 whereas SQ flights arrive at T2 however there is a free train transfer between terminals and it involves some walking but it is relatively painless to transfer. The cost is reasonable for GB59 for a PCR test with results stated as within 24Hrs but usually within 8-12Hrs.When i was there (16th December) it was busy but there was no need to queue. Just spit into a plastic tube, put the cap on, shake it up and hand it over and you are on your way....

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

3 hours ago, cmdsea1 said:

Just a heads up for anyone travelling to London who doesn't like being stabbed in the nose for the PCR test and also wants to take their Day 2 test as quickly as possible (ie, on arrival) so that they reduce the need to self isolate while waiting for results. 

There is now a saliva based PCR test available at LHR from the following company which is accepted by the UK Govt as the Day 2 arrival test (which must be taken anytime between arrival (ie, day 0) and Day 2) 

They are based in a hotel at T5 whereas SQ flights arrive at T2 however there is a free train transfer between terminals and it involves some walking but it is relatively painless to transfer. The cost is reasonable for GB59 for a PCR test with results stated as within 24Hrs but usually within 8-12Hrs.When i was there (16th December) it was busy but there was no need to queue. Just spit into a plastic tube, put the cap on, shake it up and hand it over and you are on your way....

Wow! That's really great!!! But GBP59 is really pricey still... for a family of 4... 

Anyway, I did a check... it seems that lateral flow is possible for pre-departure test... not sure if applies to Singapore's ART professionally done? Cos professionally done ART is only $15 I think... and on landing 

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-testing-for-people-travelling-to-england

Of course on landing then a PCR test is necessary...

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/travel-to-england-from-another-country-during-coronavirus-covid-19

On 1/3/2022 at 8:42 AM, teomingern said:

Wah got like that one ah? Insist kids order and cannot share?

Yup. That restaurant was famous for their affordable food and large portion. Their staff are also infamously rude tho I find them to be less rude now that over a couple of decades ago. 😁 

• Praise 1

9 hours ago, cmdsea1 said:

Thanks for the info! Hopefully more UK providers use this method. Sounds much easier.

19 hours ago, Silver_blade said:

Yup. That restaurant was famous for their affordable food and large portion. Their staff are also infamously rude tho I find them to be less rude now that over a couple of decades ago. 😁 

Amazing what people would put up with for lower prices... ha ha... that's why they're still in business I guess... and maybe time has mellowed the wait staff... same people still you mean? From Hong Kong?

• Praise 1

4 hours ago, teomingern said:

Amazing what people would put up with for lower prices... ha ha... that's why they're still in business I guess... and maybe time has mellowed the wait staff... same people still you mean? From Hong Kong?

In the past (pre COVID) they used to be super full and crowded as their prices were lower than similar London Chinatown restaurants.  With COVID, not sure if they can afford to be rude.  It was the most empty Wong Kei I have seen over the years that I've visited London. 

• Praise 2

4 hours ago, teomingern said:

Funnily, some people are there to see for themselves how rude (and efficient) their staff can be. They even have their ' Upstair, Dowstair' t-shirt for sale. The earliest batches of staff were from HK. Now I reckon are 2nd gen 

They used to throw chopsticks, etc to you and it will land right in front of you...never off the table. They new staff doesn't do that anymore...or at least that was the case when I last visit in 2019.

Edited by Silver_blade
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

11 minutes ago, Boringchap said:

In the past (pre COVID) they used to be super full and crowded as their prices were lower than similar London Chinatown restaurants.  With COVID, not sure if they can afford to be rude.  It was the most empty Wong Kei I have seen over the years that I've visited London. 

Guess with many of their older staff from HK retiring, their level of service will improve but I doubt their service will be as good as Four Seasons or Gold Mine. I wonder if they own the building otherwise paying rent alone will kill them. I was told some of the restaurants in Chinatown have closed but the established ones are still around. 

My cousins shared photos/videos of how quiet central london was during the lockdowns. But looks like some crowd has return to central london but mostly visitors from other parts of the UK. 

Edited by Silver_blade
  • Praise 2

16 hours ago, Silver_blade said:

Funnily, some people are there to see for themselves how rude (and efficient) their staff can be. They even have their ' Upstair, Dowstair' t-shirt for sale. The earliest batches of staff were from HK. Now I reckon are 2nd gen 

They used to throw chopsticks, etc to you and it will land right in front of you...never off the table. They new staff doesn't do that anymore...or at least that was the case when I last visit in 2019.

Seriously? That sounds like an institution of rude behaviour... woah! Like that also can sell...

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1