Is It Really Cheaper To own An EV Versus A Gas Car?

kobayashiGT

20 hours ago, L23 said:

You hit the G-spot !

If the govt want to make EV works, give out free COE for EV cars and ensure the charging station is easily available islandwide with FOC charging. 

Those half-baked measures are just simply painting SG as a Green country in Global map.  

Or at least, make those public chargers run on home electricity rates i very happy liao 🤣.

Ya, it's all about money and how the govt tries to mitigate the loss of petrol taxes. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

1 minute ago, Rickster said:

@Shibadog 

Actually i like the idea of a PHEV, at least for now. I used to drive a BMW 225XE as a loaner car while my car was in the workshop for about a week and a half.

Basically u get best of both worlds.. u r basically driving an electric car (while battery still have juice) + No range anxiety as petrol engine can come in seamlessly when the batteries go out of juice.

The biggest attraction of PHEV is ability to charge battery.

Hybrid also can do pure EV. That’s including SF90

32 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

The biggest attraction of PHEV is ability to charge battery.

Hybrid also can do pure EV. That’s including SF90

Yes, and can even slow charge your battery while on the move using petrol power.

Wow, didn't know hybrid can go pure EV mode too! That truly ups the appeal!👍

5 minutes ago, Rickster said:

Yes, and can even slow charge your battery while on the move using petrol power.

Wow, didn't know hybrid can go pure EV mode too! That truly ups the appeal!👍

PHEV has a substantially bigger battery.

For 225xe, it has 8.8kwh.  It takes 3.5hrs to recharge with 3 pin plug.

By using petrol power to charge, it is practically a dead weight.

• Praise 1

On 1/3/2022 at 10:22 AM, Lethalstrike said:

Yes, but the so-called incentives we have here to promote EVs aren't really incentives. The long term plan is still going car-lite, not ICE-lite afterall. Did I already mentioned the electricity tariffs just went up again? 😂

Having said that, I believe in the technology of EVs. Just that over here, mass adoption of EVs isn't going to happen anytime soon. 

One thing that I haven't seen taken into account is the savings from petrol loyalty programmes, credit card vouchers and rebates etc. that almost all of us regular drivers (and regular credit card users) enjoy. The savings are fairly substantial even with the See Hum V power I fill regularly. 

You don't get similar incentives from electrons as far as I'm aware. And I will find it difficult to redeem those points for anything other than petrol. My HSBC normal platinum visa gives me the best bang for the buck for petrol voucher redemptions (more so than instant cash rebates etc). I barely use my other cards, even the Infinite card gives crappier petrol benefits. 😁

Basically like hantu bro @RadX I'm gonna find it difficult to change my habits. 😂

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

Supercharged
2 hours ago, Turboflat4 said:

One thing that I haven't seen taken into account is the savings from petrol loyalty programmes, credit card vouchers and rebates etc. that almost all of us regular drivers (and regular credit card users) enjoy. The savings are fairly substantial even with the See Hum V power I fill regularly. 

You don't get similar incentives from electrons as far as I'm aware. And I will find it difficult to redeem those points for anything other than petrol. My HSBC normal platinum visa gives me the best bang for the buck for petrol voucher redemptions (more so than instant cash rebates etc). I barely use my other cards, even the Infinite card gives crappier petrol benefits. 😁

Basically like hantu bro @RadX I'm gonna find it difficult to change my habits. 😂

The headache of managing petrol cartel points and redeemptions will eventually be replaced by the headache and anxieties of finding charging station where you have membership of, before your battery gauge goes RED 🙂 

• Haha! 1

6 hours ago, Turboflat4 said:

The savings in terms of topping up the tank, in this case topping up the battery will only make the most financial sense for people staying at landed properties with their own AC chargers. SP Group electric tariff is about $0.25 per kWh currently,  so this is assuming how much one will pay for charging at home. If one has to depend on public charging such as the chargers at See Hum's Greenlots, they charge about $0.45-0.48 per kWh depending on AC or DC charging. 

My take is that if one is dependent on public charging, its still quite a fair bit of hassle to change how you live with the car. I've seen Tesla Model 3 owners surfing the net in their cars while getting juiced up at the Tesla Supercharger at Katong V, so they purposely drove there to charge for free. And its fast charging with at least 200kW, so maybe about 20 mins tops to charge up to a decent %. If I'm not driving a Tesla and my car can't charge at 200kW, and I use the See Hum's 50 kW charger, I will feel stupid twiddling my thumbs sitting in my car at the petrol kiosk waiting to charge up. Or my only other alternative is to go find a shopping mall with SP Group's 50 kW charger, where I get to do something while my car charges up. 

Cost savings aside, I had to factor in the time lost to finding chargers if I was to go for EV, as I don't stay landed. 

• Praise 2

On 1/5/2022 at 5:05 PM, Didu said:

Forgive me for asking a noob EV question.  😁

Is there such a thing as not to drive above 80km/h for first 1000km on a new EV?

No mechanical run-in period required. 

Straight out of showroom can zham the accelerator liao 😁

• Haha! 1

31 minutes ago, Lethalstrike said:

Cost savings aside, I had to factor in the time lost to finding chargers if I was to go for EV, as I don't stay landed. 

Time is one factor that hasn't been factored in..

don't bother getting an EV now if you don't live in a landed property with your own charger. Wait till 2030 for the charging infrastructure to be fully set up and (hopefully) economics of scale will help reduce the price of charging.

• Praise 6

17 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

Tesla model 3 is cheaper than BMW 318 and Merc C180

😜

Performance or go home

• Haha! 1

7 hours ago, alphapunk2 said:

don't bother getting an EV now if you don't live in a landed property with your own charger. Wait till 2030 for the charging infrastructure to be fully set up and (hopefully) economics of scale will help reduce the price of charging.

agree with infrastructure. but disagree on price of charging. wait long long for cheap power.

Just now, Mkl22 said:

agree with infrastructure. but disagree on price of charging. wait long long for cheap power.

Someone needs to pay for the charging station.

• Praise 1