Is It Really Cheaper To own An EV Versus A Gas Car?

kobayashiGT

1 hour ago, Soya said:

Neither. Some will say low mileage best value is MRT or Grab.....

Not useful at all bro..

Anyway, if anyone has done a comparison ala the Corolla vs Leaf, please post, it will be very beneficial, cheers

Charging infra is still at its infancy here. Give rebate all cheong to EV and not enough charger many will kpkb.

Anyway ah gong wants car lite how to give incentive to anything related to cars. Try e-cycle maybe, seems like they are giving a lot of leeway to it.

Edited by Xers007
  • Haha! 1

2 hours ago, Xers007 said:

Charging infra is still at its infancy here. Give rebate all cheong to EV and not enough charger many will kpkb.

Anyway ah gong wants car lite how to give incentive to anything related to cars. Try e-cycle maybe, seems like they are giving a lot of leeway to it.

The hilarious thing is that not only AD can makan the $25k VES rebate but also certain EV brands help drive COE up by more than $30k

End of the day, no revenue was lost, clawback on lost petrol duties covered by extra road tax, looks good on paper than EV is off to a good start, EV sellers make extra profit via the rebate, EV drivers win traffic light grand prix

So everybody wins!......

• Haha! 2

3 hours ago, Xers007 said:

Proper e-bike is too "expensive" la

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, Soya said:

The hilarious thing is that not only AD can makan the $25k VES rebate but also certain EV brands help drive COE up by more than $30k

End of the day, no revenue was lost, clawback on lost petrol duties covered by extra road tax, looks good on paper than EV is off to a good start, EV sellers make extra profit via the rebate, EV drivers win traffic light grand prix

So everybody wins!......

This is especially so with Big European AD.

Audi E-tron has a margin of 128k

BMW ix5 has a margin of 70k

Edited by inlinesix
  • Praise 1

18 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

This is especially so with Big European AD.

Audi E-tron has a margin of 128k

BMW ix5 has a margin of 70k

Charge as much as the market will bear lor. At the moment, EVs are still targeted at the richer segment (who prob own a 2nd or 3rd ICE car so not put off by lousy charging infrastructure), an extra $25k can still get away wif it

Look @RadX can liao. He buy cheep cheep BYD as tisu paper to chope charging lot for his EQS.....lol 

• Haha! 4

Supercharged
On 1/3/2022 at 3:24 PM, D3badge said:

because charging is a big issue if you do not live in landed, your life become harder so why rush for EV now? wait another 5 years then reevaluate the decision bah 😂unless in between you decided to by a landed. (this is for non landed living personal)

I think there're some forumers here who'll tell you that landed is basic necessity.  Problem solved.  😁

• Haha! 2

Frankly, once you factor in the depreciation cost, the saving (electricity vs petrol) become less significant. Of course one can say that the maintenance cost (servicing, wear and tear replacement, etc.) is lower for BEV, but do factor in the battery replacement cost after 150K Km (upon expiry of factory warranty) as it may easily cost >$20K.

XjnbQnN.png

Stay tuned for more comparison. I will be tabulating some B&B models for the next round.

• Praise 16

Thank you bro, this illustration is what we need for a clearer picture 👍 

Can you a hybrid into the fray too?

Thanks 🙏 

Edited by therock

Some fruits for thought, I can be wrong on this but I am just thinking!

how does EV works for big country like USA, China, Canada, Australia etc if you intend to go interstate? As of today EV only seem to works in cities due to short distance/ mileage range and long charging time. Will you wanna use an EV for road trip ? Risk of lack of infrastructure in outback / rural area and even if you find , you might risk need to wait due to shortage of chargers VS EV population  and someone else using? 

Edited by D3badge
  • Praise 1

42 minutes ago, D3badge said:

how does EV works for big country like USA, China, Canada, Australia etc if you intend to go interstate? As of today EV only seem to works in cities due to short distance/ mileage range and long charging time. Will you wanna use an EV for road trip ? Risk of lack of infrastructure in outback / rural area and even if you find , you might risk need to wait due to shortage of chargers VS EV population  and someone else using? 

There is a recent road trip review using the MINI electric in Malaysia.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/asia/malaysia-ev-electric-cars-range-anxiety-long-charging-time-road-trip-2398151

img_20211212_140229.jpg?itok=2mJcegmw

One thing I learnt is cannot assume everything is working. 

This is a single lot charger with two different types of charging port. If there is a queue...good luck.

picture1.png?itok=BJTHmkZv

There are also other things I read about online. Like there are now Level 1, 2, and 3 charging. Level 3 being the fastest charger. But then there are downsides of fast charging ie. heat. It will deteriorate the battery faster. Level 2 charging be ideal but it will take longer to recharge. You will have to take care of the battery pack cos it is the single most expensive part in the car. Our climate also plays a part on battery deterioration. The battery is like the human being, cannot tahan hot and cold weather. Active cooling system for the batteries is a must have function on any EV. If it doesnt come with it, dont buy.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 3

12 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

There is a recent road trip review using the MINI electric in Malaysia.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/asia/malaysia-ev-electric-cars-range-anxiety-long-charging-time-road-trip-2398151

img_20211212_140229.jpg?itok=2mJcegmw

One thing I learnt is cannot assume everything is working. 

This is a single lot charger with two different types of charging port. If there is a queue...good luck.

picture1.png?itok=BJTHmkZv

There are also other things I read about online. Like there are now Level 1, 2, and 3 charging. Level 3 being the fastest charger. But then there are downsides of fast charging ie. heat. It will deteriorate the battery faster. Level 2 charging be ideal but it will take longer to recharge. You will have to take care of the battery pack cos it is the single most expensive part in the car. Our climate also plays a part on battery deterioration. The battery is like the human being, cannot tahan hot and cold weather. Active cooling system for the batteries is a must have function on any EV. If it doesnt come with it, dont buy.

This is a bad review. Mini Cooper SE is a compromised EV.

For proper review, get Nissan Leaf.

• Praise 1

7 hours ago, D3badge said:

have u watched this? it's ebike and EV, with normal ICE bike and trucks(!!) in support. They even had a genset on a flatbed follow them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_Way_Up

tl;dr version - doesn't work unless u have a fleet of support vehicles.

summary of problems faced (from my memory) 

• can't charge in extreme cold
  • range reduced in extreme cold
  • have to plan route based on available charging points
  • take extra time and effort to find/set up charging before going to bed

• Praise 2

6 hours ago, inlinesix said:

This is a bad review. Mini Cooper SE is a compromised EV.

For proper review, get Nissan Leaf.

i'm surprised they had to get a rental EV.

guess why the usual ADs with EVs didn't want to lend them a press EV car for the article? 😆

Just now, Shibadog said:

i'm surprised they had to get a rental EV.

guess why the usual ADs with EVs didn't want to lend them a press EV car for the article? 😆

TC is the earliest AD that sells EV.

Nissan Leaf can rent NIssan car for long drive.

No press car?

3 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

TC is the earliest AD that sells EV.

Nissan Leaf can rent NIssan car for long drive.

No press car?

taycan already there officially 

not sure when the guy did the "road trip" but it wasn't that long ago. Have to be after the state borders opened in Phase 3 or 4.

https://www.buro247.my/lifestyle/motoring/electric-cars-ev-in-malaysia.html

but yeah, seems to have limited choice for now.

https://paultan.org/2021/09/04/opinion-we-now-have-premium-evs-in-malaysia-but-where-are-the-affordable-electric-cars-that-we-can-buy/

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1