MOH Will Start Grading All Drinks in S’pore from A to D by End-2022

kobayashiGT

4 hours ago, kobayashiGT said:

These days, it’s not only your assignments that will be graded: even your drinks will also be graded as well.

With the Ministry of Health (MOH) latest “drink grading system”, you’ll be able to easily tell which drinks are the healthiest with just a glance.

From 30 December 2022, when we’ve all probably taken 20 booster jabs, all drinks will be graded with either an A, B, C or D, with A being the healthiest and D being the unhealthiest.

All drinks, including soft drinks, fruit juices and juice drinks, milk and yogurt drinks, and even instant powdered beverages, will receive a grade, specifically, “Nutri-Grade”

The drinks will also have a nutrition label specifying:

• Energy value
  • Amounts of protein
  • Carbohydrate
  • Fat
  • Total Sugar
  • Saturated Fat

D-Grade Cannot be Advertised 

Just like your failing grades, the drinks with D-grade cannot be advertised on media platforms.

However, if you were to go into a store with such drinks, they can still be advertised with posters.

Drinks graded with C or D will also be required to carry the Nutri-Grade mark on the front of the packaging. If the drinks are sold in a vending machine, in a dispenser or online, the grades will have to be displayed in a prominent manner.

In short, the grades have to be visible and not hidden at a corner, under the can or worse, in the can.

Why the Graded Drinks?

The new changes are implemented to help consumers identify beverages lower in sugar and saturated fats. This help consumers make more informed decisions in hopes of them making healthier choices.

Additionally, they do not want the media to advertise consumer preferences on unhealthy drinks anymore. This will spur industry reformulation aka no more clickbaity drinks advertisements.

The Government Gazette has published the regulations and it will come into force a year later.

This period of time was given to help companies adapt to the new requirements and reformulate their products to a healthier version.

If these companies still refuse to put the grades on their drinks by the end of next year, they will be fined a maximum of S$1,000 if they are first-time offenders.

If they still did not learn their lesson after the first offence, they will be fined up to S$2,000.

Source: https://goodyfeed.com/drink-graded/

Red Bull comfirmed is D-Grade,Then the 2 Pretty Ladies always driving a Mini with a big Can of Red Bull on top of the Car,cannot drive the Car liao..

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 5

1 hour ago, Sdf4786k said:

Instead of grading, should put it in terms of risk of diabetes 10 for 10% chances of diabetes to D may 70% chances?

sugar level can cause more than diabetes, some people drink sugar beverages whole life 60 years also won't get diabetes. 

• Shocked 1

Rubbish lah. Then those energy drinks how? All probably scored "F" because full of sugars and who knows what else inside - tongkat ali? [laugh]

Someone at MOH nothing to do, appraisal quite empty, so quickly dream up such initiative that has little benefit.

• Haha! 5

Canned drinks should come under SFA (which is under Env Ministry). 

Again own job don't want to focus, like reducing hellcare costs go kaciau others' jobs. Sigh.... 

It's like grading hawker stalls A to D.

How many visit a stall just purely bcuz it's A ?

The longest queue is the one selling the most tasty food, it may be C or D, it doesn't matter to consumers.

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 2

2 hours ago, Jman888 said:

sugar level can cause more than diabetes, some people drink sugar beverages whole life 60 years also won't get diabetes. 

True, some people get diabetes is not due to sugar. Last time i have a colleague everyday also drink coke also no hear him sugar level is high. Lol.

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, Kb27 said:

It's like grading hawker stalls A to D.

How many visit a stall just purely bcuz it's A ?

The longest queue is the one selling the most tasty food, it may be C or D, it doesn't matter to consumers.

This grading hawker stalls now still have? Seems like nowadays no see the grading sign paste at the stall liao?

• Praise 1

6 hours ago, inlinesix said:

https://www.moh.gov.sg/news-highlights/details/mandatory-nutrition-labelling-and-advertising-prohibitions-for-nutri-grade-beverages-from-30-december-2022

"in prepacked form and from automatic beverage dispensers will be subject to new labelling requirements and advertising prohibitions in the Food Regulations"

So bubble tea is safe? 😆

Then sugarcane hawker with a clean environment will get 

A-D score?

A for cleanliness

D for sugar content like frutose, sucrose and glucose.

Mai kumgong lah.

You think this is for your health? You think PAP cares about you?

I think this is to pave the way for food tax. A grade 10% tax, B grade 20% tax, C grade 40% tax, D grade 60% tax, ungraded 100% tax. And notice, there is no 0% tax. Meaning to make it parity, drink sky juice also must be 10% tax on top of current conservancy charges.

• Haha! 3

9 hours ago, Roborovskii said:

I think we should have a public grading of ministers from A to D also

Even have such grading also no use one la. Even if minister performance is no good or even get a D, they still continue to be ministers and get their big fat salary, they would not get affected de. Lol.

I dont think the excess sugar that we consume only come from drinks. The sugar also come from food ie. gravy base like chili or chili sauce based food. Chili if you ground it to paste and taste it, it is bitter. So next thing to do is to sweeten it with lots and lots of sugar. Same thing with curry with coconut milk. A lot of the sauce and gravy I totally avoid. Even the cai png, "Ai lum kali mai?". Sometimes "lum kali" sounds like "Bangali". I'm just joking.

If you look at the multi-racial diet that we have here you will know why certain group has the most ppl with obesity and diabetes. It is almost every meal and everyday with chili and curry. Together with sweet drinks like Milo Dinosaur...the size is at least a litre, I think it is called Godzilla Milo. I saw it at some coffeeshop at jln teck whye. I dunno how these ppl can grow so wide and not realised it. Some of them young women, they are twice my size. I dont usually go to those places but whenever I am there I am always shocked.

Sometimes we dont need to grade food or water for healthiness. Just stand in front of the mirror, if you cant fit into the mirror it is time to eat less sugar and drink less sugar.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

Internal Moderator
13 hours ago, ER-3682 said:

Red Bull comfirmed is D-Grade,Then the 2 Pretty Ladies always driving a Mini with a big Can of Red Bull on top of the Car,cannot drive the Car liao..

That mini still around? More than 10 years liao wor. hahahah.

29 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said:

That mini still around? More than 10 years liao wor. hahahah.

I dont see them anymore. The two minis are always parked at the building next to Alexandra Pri School.

↡ Advertisement