Budget 2022 to air on Feb 18

RadX

Turbocharged
1 hour ago, Sdf4786k said:

Leong Mun Wai claims imposing EP levy will raise enough revenue to make GST hike unnecessary

https://mothership.sg/2022/03/leong-mun-wai-ep-levy-gst-hike/

i may not totally agree with this point of view, but it is an idea not to be dismissed.

This is asking a strange argument 

PSP's Leong continues to 'draw divisions' over foreign workforce issues, says Tan See Leng

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/singapore/mom-tan-see-leng-leong-mun-wai-foreign-workforce-budget-2022-2539756

not sure how to fight data. If at all , has anyone look into the widespread changes in the landscape and should Singaporeans be worried. Everytime , things like hard truth is not engaged actively may not be the best idea to not talk about the elephant in the room.

I state for the record first that I not from good school and hence don’t understand. Perhaps can speak in a language a 3 year old understand and it will go a lot faster to make it crystal clear.

What I heard is GST increase by 2% will bring in $3b revenue for government. Right? So to know if we increase the top 10% of our income tax payers by 3%, would this translate to $3b? Surely IRAS has this number right? Sums don't add up is not the answer leh. Why ' walk the garden' if the numbers are there? 

↡ Advertisement

Hypersonic

Why cannot let us know the data for PMET? Unless it’s really damn teruk.

But seeing how many locals have become PHV drivers and food delivery riders, it’s not hard to imagine.

(edited)

I peasant and a uncle who goes groceries hunting.

I often buy eggs in a tray of 30s.

After CNY, price has increased from 4.60 to now 7.50.

Did putin also buy our eggs or the supplies were disrupted??

"4 firms contributing to 30% of supply blocked from importing eggs from Malaysia after failing licensing requirement”

Edited by Hamburger
  • Praise 1

1 hour ago, Hamburger said:

I peasant and a uncle who goes groceries hunting.

I often buy eggs in a tray of 30s.

After CNY, price has increased from 4.60 to now 7.50.

Did putin also buy our eggs or the supplies were disrupted??

"4 firms contributing to 30% of supply blocked from importing eggs from Malaysia after failing licensing requirement”

Mean the rest of the importers are profiteering? 

Which backsider, I mean backbencher is going to speak about this? 

• Haha! 1

Turbocharged
26 minutes ago, Volvobrick said:

Mean the rest of the importers are profiteering? 

Which backsider, I mean backbencher is going to speak about this? 

Noone will. Not even one has mentioned lowering petrol tax now that crude oil went up with double whammy of logistics issues. There are more imporrant things like baby shark, renew cert, birthday wishes to debate. 

• Praise 1

19 minutes ago, Fcw75 said:

Clowns.

And some expect them to fight for you? With you for you?

WLL man..

Fight yes, minus all the prepositions. ie just Fight You. 

• Praise 1

3 hours ago, Victor68 said:

What I heard is GST increase by 2% will bring in $3b revenue for government. Right? So to know if we increase the top 10% of our income tax payers by 3%, would this translate to $3b? Surely IRAS has this number right? Sums don't add up is not the answer leh. Why ' walk the garden' if the numbers are there? 

Lawless wrong say that is not true. That's all. No numbers shown. Honestly this kind of debate really waste money. They should show the data and what are the numbers instead of just saying "you are wrong." 

• Praise 1

Hypersonic
7 minutes ago, Stratovarius said:

Lawless wrong say that is not true. That's all. No numbers shown. Honestly this kind of debate really waste money. They should show the data and what are the numbers instead of just saying "you are wrong." 

When you have over 80 MPs in the parliament, you can say whatever you want.

Still waiting for Vivian to take ‘full responsibility’.

• Haha! 2

11 minutes ago, Fcw75 said:

When you have over 80 MPs in the parliament, you can say whatever you want.

Still waiting for Vivian to take ‘full responsibility’.

Wait long long la

🤣😂😀

• Haha! 1

Hypersonic
10 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

Wait long long la

🤣😂😀

Yep, waiting for Mr Tan.

Not Tan See Leng but Tan GuGu.

• Haha! 1

https://www.academia.sg/academic-views/government-surpluses-and-foreign-reserves-in-singapore/?fbclid=IwAR1eFhH7ienanUebbcw2DbeR0WvbGskzE8nrwuPQZ19XpGxGVz3yEQnKhWM

Still don't understand why need to raise GST.  I think should abolish GST 😁

-----------------------------------------------

The government runs a budget surplus when tax revenues (T) exceed government spending (G), which in Singapore has amounted to above 5 percent and often above 10 percent of GDP nearly every year since 1990, by the Singapore government’s accounting.  The different method used by the International Monetary Fund shows a fiscal balance roughly 5 to 7 percentage points higher in 2011-15. This means the government has taken in from the public, including private business, more than it has given out every year, for nearly two generations. 

• Praise 1

11 minutes ago, MafiaGeek said:

https://www.academia.sg/academic-views/government-surpluses-and-foreign-reserves-in-singapore/?fbclid=IwAR1eFhH7ienanUebbcw2DbeR0WvbGskzE8nrwuPQZ19XpGxGVz3yEQnKhWM

Still don't understand why need to raise GST.  I think should abolish GST 😁

-----------------------------------------------

The government runs a budget surplus when tax revenues (T) exceed government spending (G), which in Singapore has amounted to above 5 percent and often above 10 percent of GDP nearly every year since 1990, by the Singapore government’s accounting.  The different method used by the International Monetary Fund shows a fiscal balance roughly 5 to 7 percentage points higher in 2011-15. This means the government has taken in from the public, including private business, more than it has given out every year, for nearly two generations. 

" Reserve accumulation is inherently regressive: it transfers resources from poorer earlier generations to today’s or tomorrow’s richer generations when reserves are eventually expended."

GST is also regressive.

G does not want to answer if reserves now were higher than 5 years ago despite doling covid measures.

I can only conclude older/current generations suffered a double whammy.😞

• Praise 1

Hypersonic
16 minutes ago, TangoCharlie said:

" Reserve accumulation is inherently regressive: it transfers resources from poorer earlier generations to today’s or tomorrow’s richer generations when reserves are eventually expended."

GST is also regressive.

G does not want to answer if reserves now were higher than 5 years ago despite doling covid measures.

I can only conclude older/current generations suffered a double whammy.😞

The future generation will be worse with everything so expensive. 

4 minutes ago, Fcw75 said:

The future generation will be worse with everything so expensive. 

Only If the policy remains the same as now.

Imagine one day G gives out reserve angpow....

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1