Overseas News: Shell Converts Gas Station Into EV Charging Hub

kobayashiGT

Internal Moderator

61c0579d2f600a621b74ec3b_Shell-Fulham-1.

The oil giant already operates a network of nearly 8,000 EV charging points.

Source: https://insideevs.com/news/559069/shell-gas-station-ev-charging/

European oil companies are getting into the EV charging business in a big way—whether that’s a good thing remains to be seen, but Shell’s new “EV hub” in London certainly looks impressive.

Shell-Recharge-pump-for-EVs-Shell-UK-web

The oil giant, which currently operates a network of nearly 8,000 EV charging points, has converted an existing petrol station in Fulham, central London, to an electric vehicle charging hub that features ten 175 kW DC fast-charging stations, built by Australian manufacturer Tritium. The hub will offer “a comfortable seating area for waiting EV drivers,” along with a Costa Coffee store and a Little Waitrose & Partners shop.

The hub features solar panels on the roof, and Shell says the chargers will be powered by 100% certified renewable electricity. It may be open for business by the time you read this.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5

Internal Moderator

Hmmm.  Coffee itself is not good enough. If Shell were to convert the store inside into an arcade shop, then I will consider it. Imagine you park your car at shell and charge your car, walk inside and start playing sim racing and next moment you are alrd at Fuji speedway tackling all the corners.

This is what I call metaverse. 🤣

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 5

11 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said:

The oil giant already operates a network of nearly 8,000 EV charging points.

Source: https://insideevs.com/news/559069/shell-gas-station-ev-charging/

European oil companies are getting into the EV charging business in a big way—whether that’s a good thing remains to be seen, but Shell’s new “EV hub” in London certainly looks impressive.

Shell-Recharge-pump-for-EVs-Shell-UK-web

The oil giant, which currently operates a network of nearly 8,000 EV charging points, has converted an existing petrol station in Fulham, central London, to an electric vehicle charging hub that features ten 175 kW DC fast-charging stations, built by Australian manufacturer Tritium. The hub will offer “a comfortable seating area for waiting EV drivers,” along with a Costa Coffee store and a Little Waitrose & Partners shop.

The hub features solar panels on the roof, and Shell says the chargers will be powered by 100% certified renewable electricity. It may be open for business by the time you read this.

Chey I thought in Singapore !! Was like wow impressive getting “ EV project “ASAP in Singapore ! Then read the news it is in London 😂😂😂 bubble burst ! For non landed 😂 

let wait and see a few more years 

• Haha! 4

Internal Moderator
7 minutes ago, D3badge said:

Chey I thought in Singapore !! Was like wow impressive getting “ EV project “ASAP in Singapore ! Then read the news it is in London 😂😂😂 bubble burst ! For non landed 😂 

let wait and see a few more years 

The shell charging station we have in SG are all fast charger, so 15 min will get 80% charge.

Not bad lah. Plug liao go in play some daytona/initial D. lose liao come out and drive back home. 🤣

If is a normal charger, then the petrol station might consider opening a massage parlour thou. 😂

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 8

Supercharged
16 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said:

The shell charging station we have in SG are all fast charger, so 15 min will get 80% charge.

Not bad lah. Plug liao go in play some daytona/initial D. lose liao come out and drive back home. 🤣

If is a normal charger, then the petrol station might consider opening a massage parlour thou. 😂

Bro, Local Shell charger is only 50kW ....

• Haha! 1

10 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said:

I think also depends on the car battery capacity and also its charging architecture (but all recent EVs should have rapid charging support).
Twice when I charged a Hyundai Ioniq electric at Shell using the CCS (rapid) charging, I noted that at lower than 80% battery level, the charging time was about 1 minute for 2% charge. When the charge reached about 80%, the charging was pathetically slow, like 5 to 6 minutes for 1% increment; and so I stopped at that. So I guess if absolute distance or range is not a major concern, then rapid charging of EVs within a tolerable duration (of about 30 mins to 45 mins) should give drivers reasonable driving range/distance.

The vehicle CCS charging port:image.thumb.png.83ab8990358169b6b43f7d416704aae1.png

Estimated range at about 80% battery charge:image.thumb.png.193769db612de1336ac0b9e458cca926.png

image.thumb.png.a024edb9ef42f50f0564d9d54cdc4b3e.png

• Praise 6

Internal Moderator
7 minutes ago, DOBIEMKZ said:

I think also depends on the car battery capacity and also its charging architecture (but all recent EVs should have rapid charging support).
Twice when I charged a Hyundai Ioniq electric at Shell using the CCS (rapid) charging, I noted that at lower than 80% battery level, the charging time was about 1 minute for 2% charge. When the charge reached about 80%, the charging was pathetically slow, like 5 to 6 minutes for 1% increment; and so I stopped at that. So I guess if absolute distance or range is not a major concern, then rapid charging of EVs within a tolerable duration (of about 30 mins to 45 mins) should give drivers reasonable driving range/distance.

The vehicle CCS charging port:image.thumb.png.83ab8990358169b6b43f7d416704aae1.png

Estimated range at about 80% battery charge:image.thumb.png.193769db612de1336ac0b9e458cca926.png

image.thumb.png.a024edb9ef42f50f0564d9d54cdc4b3e.png

Don't worry! BYD have a new battery technology! The Blade battery!

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

5 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said:

Don't worry! BYD have a new battery technology! The Blade battery!

That is fantastic! BYD in EV industry is like Oppo in the smartphone market. Innovators and forerunners in rapid fast charging of batteries.[thumbsup]

• Praise 2

Twincharged
2 hours ago, inlinesix said:

With Kia EV6, 100km within 5 mins from 150kw DC Charger.

Basically, plug into EV charger.  Go pang jio.

Come out can get 100km.

Meaning you get more mileage if you Pang Sai?🤣

• Haha! 6

4 hours ago, kobayashiGT said:

Hmmm.  Coffee itself is not good enough. If Shell were to convert the store inside into an arcade shop, then I will consider it. Imagine you park your car at shell and charge your car, walk inside and start playing sim racing and next moment you are alrd at Fuji speedway tackling all the corners.

This is what I call metaverse. 🤣

Lease out space to spa for short time n provide super quick chargers

Charge and discharge 

Everybody happy 

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 5

40 minutes ago, Soya said:

Charge and discharge 

Everybody happy 

Every charge then go discharge 1 time, then those high mileage drivers confirm very fast become poor. 

• Haha! 3

1 hour ago, Soya said:

Charge and discharge 

Everybody happy 

Petrol pump attendants become masseurs. :D

• Shocked 2
  • Haha! 1

Internal Moderator

Woah. I just create new business idea and job opportunities leh. 😎

Ah jack ah, I am so proud of you.

👋 *  a pat on myself. :grin: