Mother of all scams thread

Windwaver

2 minutes ago, Beregond said:

yes, the old ways are slower, but much more safer and foolproof. 

Old folk dun know much about electronic gadget, many time out of embarrassment (paisei ) they will give out their key info like ic number bank account numbers easily.

( my mum dun even have a HP, she cannot use also, she dun have any card also, no nets no credit, so its extremely hard to scam her also. unless she take out all my cash my from drawer then i nothing to say😅

Where you stay bro? I like to give you a hamper. 🤣

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 5

Even I know how to chit chat here, sometimes I find it cumbersome with Apps and keying in codes, etc. You need password, codes, etc which can be confusing especially with Cap, - or symbol. Now even singpass use that QR code. You don't know by scanning would it be captured and save anywhere. For every transaction, they should follow up with a email or sms to inform you. Just like when you withdraw from ATM, there will be sms to inform you. Even credit card does that

Turbocharged
On 1/10/2022 at 6:23 AM, Philipkee said:

Problem is when you try to get through to a human in the bank, you either cannot get through or take very very long.

There are some functions have been moved to a bot.... no more human. 

I think that is the eventual destination where banking support will end up. 

It's probably what happens when bank customer service behave like robot... they will lose their jobs to one. Everyone suffers.

• Haha! 1

Turbocharged
1 hour ago, Victor68 said:

Even I know how to chit chat here, sometimes I find it cumbersome with Apps and keying in codes, etc. You need password, codes, etc which can be confusing especially with Cap, - or symbol. Now even singpass use that QR code. You don't know by scanning would it be captured and save anywhere. For every transaction, they should follow up with a email or sms to inform you. Just like when you withdraw from ATM, there will be sms to inform you. Even credit card does that

It can happen easily.. same as one anyhow install fishy freeware software in the PC... one installs some unknown apps in the phone.. then these apps will monitor the data you send/receive, and then send the contents out. 

This is one way they get the bank name/site, username and password.

Next step to SMS/call the victim with the number collected and start the next step of the scam.

Turbocharged
23 hours ago, Beregond said:

Just now i reveive a new type of scam call.

a chinese guy call and say in chinese' : he laugh causally and say he change new number already , (but i really dun know who he is ) so i ask , then he reply 聼不出?he change new number already .

i thought he is 1 of the workers from some of my customer company require emergency service, then i ask him he from what company , he laugh causally and ask me guess. 

this scam call sound really very real . we really need to be damn alert

I received the same kind also some months ago. Exactly like what you said. To the end I said I still don't know who are u. He lan lan had hang up eventually.

But yes, I was also caught by surprise which friend is it. He sounded very real and I thinking hard throughout the conversation could he be one of my friends that may have lost contact for some time.

• Haha! 2

9 minutes ago, Solar said:

I received the same kind also some months ago. Exactly like what you said. To the end I said I still don't know who are u. He lan lan had hang up eventually.

But yes, I was also caught by surprise which friend is it. He sounded very real and I thinking hard throughout the conversation could he be one of my friends that may have lost contact for some time.

Got +65 in front?

3 hours ago, Beregond said:

I dun know if u guys heard of this scam.

Scammer love to do this during CNY.

They send a hamper to your place. then tell u , u need to pay them a small delivery fee like 5 - 8 buks.

Then they will tell u, they cannot receive cash. U need to pay them by cashless, They will produce the machine and let U key in.
Once u Key in, thats it, later u will notice stuff like 3k or 5k pay out. 

Hope they go gangster house then kena beat up bad 💪

• Haha! 1

37 minutes ago, Solar said:

U should say: oh ya. You are Xiao Lee right? You still owe me 50k and my cpf. When return me? 🤣

• Haha! 4

Turbocharged
1 hour ago, Fcw75 said:

Got +65 in front?

Can't remember now... but the accent sounded very much Singaporean. Didn't think it was even Malaysian.

• Praise 2

Turbocharged
1 hour ago, Stratovarius said:

U should say: oh ya. You are Xiao Lee right? You still owe me 50k and my cpf. When return me? 🤣

Lol... tio caught by surprise, was thinking hard who that friend was. 😂

• Haha! 2

6 hours ago, Dp26 said:

I believe that the call back that might be implemented now could be due to the incident in dec. I don’t actually believe that bank will call me everytime i set up a payee, not on the few bank accounts that i have been using, in fact never before.

but then i dont use my OCBC joint account so i cant be 100% sure also.

No, it is not setup Payee.

Call from OCBC staff is for first time setup OneToken. 

4 hours ago, Solar said:

It can happen easily.. same as one anyhow install fishy freeware software in the PC... one installs some unknown apps in the phone.. then these apps will monitor the data you send/receive, and then send the contents out. 

This is one way they get the bank name/site, username and password.

Next step to SMS/call the victim with the number collected and start the next step of the scam.

These days most websites uses encryption. (even this forum uses SHA256 cert) It is not as easily to do "man in the middle attack" where a spyware simply monitors the ip traffic between browser and internet. 

• Praise 1

4 hours ago, Solar said:

I won't be cheated this way as I know any old "friends" that I can't remember, I won't be important enough for them to call me after so long. 

Unless they want to borrow money. 😄

Edited by Volvobrick
  • Praise 2
  • Haha! 2

Turbocharged
10 hours ago, Volvobrick said:

I won't be cheated this way as I know any old "friends" that I can't remember, I won't be important enough for them to call me after so long. 

Unless they want to borrow money. 😄

LOL yes, I also thought this 'friend' wants to borrow money. My brain was processing hyperfast for a story how to reject if the question was raised 🤣🤣

Edited by Solar
  • Haha! 1

10 hours ago, Gizmore said:

No, it is not setup Payee.

Call from OCBC staff is for first time setup OneToken. 

One token is same as the current digital token? 

when I changed my phone couple of months ago, I have to update my digital token that’s tied to my old phone. No calls definitely from any of the banks. 

but mine is not first time set up but on a new device (like the scammers maybe) also no calls from them 

• Praise 1

Turbocharged
10 hours ago, Gizmore said:

These days most websites uses encryption. (even this forum uses SHA256 cert) It is not as easily to do "man in the middle attack" where a spyware simply monitors the ip traffic between browser and internet. 

I see... but what about apps installed on the phones? They can pick up activities happening within the phone right?

↡ Advertisement