Mother of all scams thread

Windwaver

Internal Moderator
Just now, Lala81 said:

I don't understand how this person lost 500k in 1 calendar day, unless the scamming took over 2 calendar days. 

UOB has a 100k hard limit daily of transfer everday for the average joe. It's not a limit that can be raised over the app.
SCB/Maybank for example is 200k.  

OCBC one can set so high?

I cannot understand such issues. I don't even have 100K in all my banks. 🤣

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 3

3 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said:

I cannot understand such issues. I don't even have 100K in all my banks. 🤣

that's why i say there's something horrendously wrong with OCBC's red flag system management.

I mean the guys beforehand that i read the stories, 5 digit, 100+k i can understand. It's definitely possible if ocbc's limit is higher.
This 500k one i cannot understand at all.

A guy who probably never withdrew money from his savings account over 20 years. cleared it out overnight. How can this not be be ringing alarm bells?

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

7 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

I don't understand how this person lost 500k in 1 calendar day, unless the scamming took over 2 calendar days.

UOB has a 100k hard limit daily of transfer everday for the average joe. It's not a limit that can be raised over the app.

Most banks i know have such a limit. I don't even know how to raise such a limit. You can't even pay billing organisations if u exceed the limit of the day.

Hi @Lala81, according to that fellow, this was what happened

https://mothership.sg/2022/01/singaporean-man-lose-ocbc-savings/

The website that the phishing SMS led to looked exactly similar to the OCBC website.

I shared my login details and my OTP once.

I did not have a OneToken login as it is incompatible with my mobile device. I use a physical token.

The next morning when I woke up, I saw a chain of SMSes showing that my payment transfer limit had increased to S$300,000, new payees were added, and multiple transactions of up to S$50,000 had been transferred to new payee accounts, including PayNow.

There were 11 transactions ranging from amounts of S$17,000 to S$50,000.

These were transfers to new payees, including PayNow to phone number, PayNow to NRIC and bank transfers.

The total amount came up to S$500,000 in total.

• Praise 3

Internal Moderator
3 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

that's why i say there's something horrendously wrong with OCBC's system management.

I mean the guys beforehand that i read the stories, 5 digit, 100+k i can understand. It's definitely possible if ocbc's limit is higher.

image.thumb.png.bdb3e3c7363b14670fd48c80aec9df8b.png

Must be a premier private client. 🤣

Can request for birthday cake one.

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Windwaver said:

Hi @Lala81, according to that fellow, this was what happened

https://mothership.sg/2022/01/singaporean-man-lose-ocbc-savings/

The website that the phishing SMS led to looked exactly similar to the OCBC website.

I shared my login details and my OTP once.

I did not have a OneToken login as it is incompatible with my mobile device. I use a physical token.

The next morning when I woke up, I saw a chain of SMSes showing that my payment transfer limit had increased to S$300,000, new payees were added, and multiple transactions of up to S$50,000 had been transferred to new payee accounts, including PayNow.

There were 11 transactions ranging from amounts of S$17,000 to S$50,000.

These were transfers to new payees, including PayNow to phone number, PayNow to NRIC and bank transfers.

The total amount came up to S$500,000 in total.

No. The hard limit is a daily limit in other banks. That includes everything. NETS physical and e-nets/PayNow/FAST transfers/wire transfers. 
I'm sure it can be overriden, but it's not within the app unless other premier banking guys say it's possible?

There's only 1 option that is truly unlimited, which is intra-bank transfers to your own accounts (with your name).
You can't even transfer past the limit to your wife's own intra-bank account in 1 day. Let alone bring it out of the bank.

For example, default max internet banking transfers out of say ICBC is only 50k per day max. So is CIMB. U can reset all you want, u can't go past that without i guess directly asking the bank to authorise.

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 3

16 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

Most banks i know have such a limit. I don't even know how to raise such a limit. You can't even pay billing organisations if u exceed the limit of the day.

The OCBC Pay Anyone (Paynow) app does have a setting to set the daily limit up to SGD200,000.00.

• Praise 1

3 minutes ago, DOBIEMKZ said:

The OCBC Pay Anyone (Paynow) app does have a setting to set the daily limit up to SGD200,000.00.

For UOB, e-nets max limit is 100k. Same as their overall limit daily of 100k.

• Praise 1

28 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

that's why i say there's something horrendously wrong with OCBC's red flag system management.

A guy who probably never withdrew money from his savings account over 20 years. cleared it out overnight. How can this not be be ringing alarm bells?

Which is why only few million right they should have just STFU and paid the losses... and have people go on tv and papers saying thank you OCBC.. money can't buy that kind of publicity one.

Instead.. now MAS,  ho chin, customers, internet ppl... and people like you 🤣.. are saying all the inconvenient things that they sure prefer not be said. 

The damage sure deep. How much media budget to put aside to repair. 

35 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

My wife tried to buy a number of Starbucks vouchers separately.

As she made a number of transactions, OCBC blocked her transactions after the 4th times.

For cc transactions, there is red flag.

• Praise 1

https://www.todayonline.com/singapore/ocbc-fully-reimburse-all-victims-money-lost-sms-phishing-scam-arrangements-be-made-next-week-1794281

OCBC to fully reimburse all victims for money lost to SMS phishing scam; arrangements to be made by next week

SINGAPORE — OCBC Bank will be making arrangements with all customers who were victims of a recent SMS phishing scam, to be fully reimbursed for the monies they lost by next week, said the bank on Wednesday (Jan 19).

2022118_al_ocbc_generics02.jpg?itok=FHRI

• Praise 3

https://www.todayonline.com/singapore/dbs-warns-against-phishing-scams-after-sms-impersonating-bank-surfaces-1794256

DBS warns against phishing scams after SMS impersonating the bank surfaces

SINGAPORE — DBS bank on Wednesday (Jan 19) issued an alert about SMS phishing scams after a screenshot of a message received by customer about the "suspension" of his account was circulated online.

image_from_ios_15.jpg?itok=_0o1Vsl6

• Shocked 1

15 minutes ago, mikk123 said:

looks like Singapore is targeted. Can our government IT force fight back? this is a organized systematic attack, not an individual one. Our SAF IT should fight back... Who are they? 

I like the way you think. Committing on other organisations behalf.

lol

• Haha! 1

1 hour ago, mikk123 said:

looks like Singapore is targeted. Can our government IT force fight back? this is a organized systematic attack, not an individual one. Our SAF IT should fight back... Who are they? 

DPRK hackers....?🙄

• Haha! 1

3 hours ago, Windwaver said:

https://www.todayonline.com/singapore/ocbc-fully-reimburse-all-victims-money-lost-sms-phishing-scam-arrangements-be-made-next-week-1794281

OCBC to fully reimburse all victims for money lost to SMS phishing scam; arrangements to be made by next week

SINGAPORE — OCBC Bank will be making arrangements with all customers who were victims of a recent SMS phishing scam, to be fully reimbursed for the monies they lost by next week, said the bank on Wednesday (Jan 19).

2022118_al_ocbc_generics02.jpg?itok=FHRI

Good news for those that were scammed. 

slightly less good news for shareholders 

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

I think our government should stop sending out sms with links to the public. I see Moh iras send me legit sms with links asking me to book booster or view documents…. 
I never click them usually but I can understand why the general public is so click happy

• Praise 4