Mother of all scams thread

Windwaver

Scammed her employer :D

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/courts-crime/jail-for-woman-who-used-fake-documents-to-apply-for-for-pre-school-principal-position

Jail for woman who used fake documents to apply for pre-school principal position

SINGAPORE - She took her O-level examinations twice as a teenager, but failed to obtain a passing grade for her English Language paper on both occasions.

Angela Zhong Anqi, 43, got a D7 grade for the subject after taking the exams in 1996 and 1997.

Despite this, she applied to be the principal of Al-Amin Pre-school (Tampines) Kindergarten and submitted documents that included a fake O-level certificate.

On Feb 13, 2019, Al-Amin submitted an online application to the Early Childhood Development Agency (ECDA) to register her as a centre principal.

Zhong was caught after the agency conducted checks in 2019 and discovered that four of her documents could not be verified.

An ECDA manager alerted the police on June 7, 2019.

On Thursday, Zhong pleaded guilty to two forgery charges and was sentenced to two weeks’ jail.

Deputy Public Prosecutor Wong Shiau Yin said the ECDA serves as the regulatory and developmental agency for the early childhood education sector in Singapore.

It is an autonomous agency jointly overseen by the Ministry of Education (MOE) and the Ministry of Social and Family Development.

To qualify as a pre-school principal, applicants must have a document known as a Level 2 Letter of Notification of Categories of Teachers (LON).

To qualify for the Level 2 certification, one must have a Diploma in Early Childhood Care and Education – Teaching, as well as at least five O-level credits, including for English Language, the prosecutor said.

Some time between August 2018 and July 2019, Zhong obtained a copy of an LON online.

DPP Wong said: “The accused scanned a copy of the LON and used the Paint application on her laptop to amend (it) by inserting her name and amending the date on the document.

“The accused printed the forged document, which she later submitted to Al-Amin.”

The fake LON dated May 30, 2008 was purportedly issued by MOE to Pat’s Schoolhouse.

The prosecutor told the court: “Investigations revealed that Pat’s Schoolhouse does not have any employment records (of) the accused.

“ECDA also confirmed that the LON would be issued to kindergartens and not childcare centres such as Pat’s Schoolhouse.”

Zhong also submitted a fake O-level certificate to Al-Amin.

However, she could not recall if she had amended her original O-level certificate or if she had obtained a copy of the document online and doctored it.

For each count of forgery, an offender can be jailed for up to four years and fined.

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1

Scam girlfriend, bad boy and parents don't even know he didn't go overseas :grin:

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/singapore/high-court-dismisses-appeal-man-who-stole-money-ill-girlfriend-3235766

27 Jan 2023 01:21PM (Updated: 27 Jan 2023 01:22PM)

SINGAPORE: A High Court judge on Thursday (Jan 26) slammed the “entitled behaviour” of a man who had stolen about S$52,000 from his eczema-stricken girlfriend, saying he showed no remorse for his offences.

Marcus Kong Wei Keong will now have to serve his jail term of about one year and seven months after Justice Vincent Hoong dismissed his appeal against his conviction and sentence.

Kong, now 35, had moved into his girlfriend’s place in May 2015 to care for her when she was unable to work due to her severe skin condition.

He then secretly took her credit and bank cards over two months, using them to make multiple cash withdrawals and online fund transfers.

The Singaporean was found guilty of 53 charges — including theft, giving false information about an offence, and gaining access to computer material without authorisation — last year following a State Courts trial that began in October 2019.

WHAT HAPPENED

During his trial, the court heard testimony from his girlfriend, who worked as a teacher, that she spent most of her days resting in bed due to her condition. It was so severe that her whole body turned red, her leg swelled and she constantly ran a fever.

She testified that she did not consent to Kong making the withdrawals and online fund transfers.

The court further heard at the time that Kong’s parents did not know that he was in Singapore at that time because he was supposed to be studying at the University of Queensland in Australia. 

His parents found out that he had gone behind their backs to remain in Singapore instead of studying overseas only when the couple broke up in February 2016.

She testified that on the night of the break-up, a loan shark called her demanding payment for an overdue loan Kong had taken.

She became sure then that he was also behind a series of suspected fraudulent transactions she discovered from August 2015. She was trying to pay for a skin product online and two of her credit cards could not be used.

She also told the court that Kong’s actions affected her not only financially but emotionally.

When his offences were discovered and investigations began, Kong lodged a police report himself, referring to his girlfriend’s police report and telling a police officer then that he had no idea how money was being transferred from her account to his.

He lied that these transactions were done without his knowledge.

However, in subsequent police statements in September 2016, he confessed that he had taken his girlfriend’s credit cards from her wallet when she was sleeping. He knew her personal identification number for the cards because there were "bank letters lying around".

CLAIMED TO HAVE "AGREEMENT" WITH VICTIM

In his High Court appeal, Kong reiterated his defence at trial that he had an agreement with the victim where she allowed him to handle her finances by using her credit and bank cards.

His girlfriend denied this. Justice Hoong also rejected the assertion, noting his admission to the police and his own psychiatrist that he had used the victim’s credit cards without her permission more than once.

Justice Hoong added that none of Kong’s medical reports backed up his claim that his depressive state would have made him more susceptible to being manipulated by his girlfriend.

In terms of payments that his mother made to the victim, the judge said these were restitution for Kong’s offences, not because of a demand of money from the victim or for appreciation for housing Kong.

His mother had told the victim over WhatsApp that her “only hope is to be able to make up to u one day”.

Justice Hoong also found the jail sentence imposed to be appropriate, adding that the district court judge could even have put more weight on Kong’s lack of remorse.

“The appellant’s actions in this regard are a sideshow of one self-serving action after another,” said the judge. These actions included Kong’s refusal to come clean and his failure to file his medical reports within the deadlines given by the court.

“Even in his petition of appeal, unaccompanied by any written submissions, the appellant now tries to suggest that it was the victim who could have manipulated him,” Justice Hoong added.

“This smokescreen by the appellant is an attempt to run from the mirror of his own manipulation of others - of his then-girlfriend, of the police, of the court, and even of his own parents, who spent their own money to attempt to make up for the appellant’s misdeeds.

“In my view, an enhancement to the appellant’s sentence on these grounds by the (district court judge) would not have been manifestly excessive.”

Justice Hoong also noted that Kong continued showing his “cavalier attitude towards others” in his appeal.

Kong did not get a lawyer for several months after filing his appeal and did not ask for an adjournment from the court. He also did not prepare his own submissions and did not bring to court the documents that had been personally served to him.

“The appellant instead expected to stroll into court and immediately obtain an adjournment based on his bald assertion that he could accomplish in the next week what he could not accomplish over the past seven months since May 2022,” Justice Hoong said.

“This entitled behaviour by the appellant rings of disrespect to others and strengthens my finding that the appellant has shown no remorse for his offences.”

For each theft offence, Kong could have been jailed for up to three years or fined, or both.

• Shocked 1

https://www.asiaone.com/singapore/i-am-paying-heavy-price-my-greed-and-naivety-woman-delays-wedding-after-being-cheated

'I am paying a heavy price for my greed and naivety': Woman delays wedding after being cheated of $17,000

SINGAPORE – If it were not for a job scam, Iris (not her real name) would have got married and maybe even be a mother by now.

Her life plans came to a halt after she was cheated of $17,000 meant for her wedding, which had been planned for the end of 2021.

It had taken the 35-year-old administrative worker three years to save the money, but it was stolen from her in just a day in September that year.

"The wedding won't be happening any time soon as I don't have enough money yet," she said. "The $17,000 might not be a lot to some, but it took me a long time to save up for it as I don't earn a lot."

She had chanced upon an advertisement online for a part-time marketing gig and jumped on the opportunity to make some extra money for her big day.

She was hired as an affiliate marketing associate, purportedly for e-commerce platform Qoo10, and was told to use her own money to pay in advance for products on the platform to boost the sales figures of merchants.

The "hirer" told her she would be reimbursed with a small commission. This was true initially, with Iris quickly making $100 in profits within an hour that day.

She was then told to buy more expensive products, but her money was not returned.

The scammers gave excuses, including telling her she was too slow in completing the assignments, and told her to transfer bigger sums if she wanted her money back.

Desperate, she obeyed. But in a few hours, she had spent more than $17,000 "buying" desktops, watches, gym equipment, video games and jewellery.

In the days that followed, Iris was devastated and could not accept that her money was gone.

She said: "I was looking forward to starting a life with my fiance. We would like (to have) one or two kids. I'm not young any more and I'm afraid I might not be able to have children later on."

She now struggles to stay motivated at work.

"I can't shake off this moody feeling that follows me every day. I can't focus or find joy in anything I do."

The toughest part has been not telling her family members she had been scammed.

Said Iris: "I'm the eldest child in the family and I don't want my siblings to look down on me. I'm ashamed of myself for being so foolish and trusting."

The one bright spot is that her fiance has been understanding and he advised her to be more careful with what she sees online.

Police investigations are ongoing, and one of the bank accounts she used to transfer money to the scammers is still frozen.

Said Iris: "I am paying a heavy price for my greed and naivety. My plans for the future have been disrupted, and I'm trying to get myself back on track."

https://singaporeuncensored.com/nasi-padang-stall-tried-to-rip-off-man-15-for-2-vege-man-say-i-dont-want-already/

NASI PADANG STALL TRIED TO RIP OFF MAN, $15 FOR 2 VEGE, MAN SAY “I DON’T WANT ALREADY”

I was recently enjoying a day out with my friends when we decided to stop by a nasi padang stall for lunch.

When we got there, I told the stall owner to scoop two vege dishes and said it’s for $15. I was taken aback by this price as I knew that the usual price for two servings of vegetables was much cheaper. I tried to negotiate with the stall owner but he refused to budge.

That’s when I knew that the stall owner was trying to rip me off. I told him that I didn’t want the two servings of vegetables and he became agitated. He started to threaten me and shouted that I must pay or else he would call the police. I was not willing to pay such an extortionate price for two servings of vegetables so I firmly said “I don’t want already”.

I wasn’t about to be intimidated by the stall owner and let him get away with charging me an outrageous price for two servings of vegetables. I stayed firm and refused to pay. The stall owner’s threats became more aggressive and he started to yell at me. I refused to pay and I explained to him that I was not going to be taken advantage of.

The stall owner then suddenly stopped his aggressive behaviour and asked me what I wanted. I told him that I only wanted one serving of vegetables and he agreed to this.

My friends and I then left the nasi padang stall and went on our way. I was relieved that I had stood up to the stall owner and refused to pay the extortionate price he had tried to charge me. It was a lesson in standing up for myself and not being taken advantage of.

I was glad that I had the courage to stand my ground and not let the stall owner rip me off. I knew that if I hadn’t been firm and said “I don’t want already”, I would have ended up paying the extortionate price for two servings of vegetables.

• Praise 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha! 1

2 minutes ago, Windwaver said:

https://singaporeuncensored.com/nasi-padang-stall-tried-to-rip-off-man-15-for-2-vege-man-say-i-dont-want-already/

NASI PADANG STALL TRIED TO RIP OFF MAN, $15 FOR 2 VEGE, MAN SAY “I DON’T WANT ALREADY”

I was recently enjoying a day out with my friends when we decided to stop by a nasi padang stall for lunch.

When we got there, I told the stall owner to scoop two vege dishes and said it’s for $15. I was taken aback by this price as I knew that the usual price for two servings of vegetables was much cheaper. I tried to negotiate with the stall owner but he refused to budge.

That’s when I knew that the stall owner was trying to rip me off. I told him that I didn’t want the two servings of vegetables and he became agitated. He started to threaten me and shouted that I must pay or else he would call the police. I was not willing to pay such an extortionate price for two servings of vegetables so I firmly said “I don’t want already”.

I wasn’t about to be intimidated by the stall owner and let him get away with charging me an outrageous price for two servings of vegetables. I stayed firm and refused to pay. The stall owner’s threats became more aggressive and he started to yell at me. I refused to pay and I explained to him that I was not going to be taken advantage of.

The stall owner then suddenly stopped his aggressive behaviour and asked me what I wanted. I told him that I only wanted one serving of vegetables and he agreed to this.

My friends and I then left the nasi padang stall and went on our way. I was relieved that I had stood up to the stall owner and refused to pay the extortionate price he had tried to charge me. It was a lesson in standing up for myself and not being taken advantage of.

I was glad that I had the courage to stand my ground and not let the stall owner rip me off. I knew that if I hadn’t been firm and said “I don’t want already”, I would have ended up paying the extortionate price for two servings of vegetables.

What a scam! Not even organic vegetable somemore! 

• Haha! 3

22 minutes ago, Windwaver said:

so he pay $7.50 for 1 serving of veg?

• Haha! 3

4 minutes ago, Windwaver said:

https://mothership.sg/2023/02/iphone-birthday-gift-scammed/

Young sisters in S'pore worked part-time & sold old textbooks to buy mum an iPhone, scammed S$1,250 on Carousell

They wanted to cheer their mother up.

Kerr Puay Hian |  February 10, 2023, 12:10 PM

Still dun understand why those not earning much wanna buy expensive phones.. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Tkseah said:

Still dun understand why those not earning much wanna buy expensive phones.. 

Buying for their mother.

But why would someone transfer money without seeing the goods? Will never do that.

一手交钱 一手交货。

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2