Mother of all scams thread

Windwaver

Wow, all these make me very confused. sound like scammer can easily hack into your account simply if you press a wrong button answering a phone call. This is definitely not acceptable. To me, there should be more verifications beside just entering a password/code. Even when you buy from shoppee, they ask for OTP after you have entered all the necessary codes. 

If OTP can be hijacked, then electronic mean loopholes have to be plugged. For old folks like us, we didn't choose to use electronics, it was the banks and government that insisted. If you insist, then you need to provide adequate protection mah. Always have 2 layers and if OTP is not good enough, finger print or facial recognition lor. 

Until now, after reading so many posts, I also don't know how by pressing 1 can cause so much problems. 

↡ Advertisement

18 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

Whatsapp message: "Bro, still into soccer betting?"

LoL...I dont even bother to watch soccer. See how many still wanna send this type of message?

Hosay liao.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/singapore/police-raid-handphone-shops-sim-cards-scam-2439256

Police raid 17 handphone shops in crackdown on SIM cards registered to fake users

The SIM cards are sold to customers who want to remain anonymous, and could have been used for crimes.

"SINGAPORE: Police on Sunday (Jan 16) arrested 10 people suspected of fraudulently registering prepaid SIM cards which could have been used for crimes such as scams, unlicensed moneylending and vice.

This came after raids on 17 handphone shops by the Commercial Affairs Department in a nine-hour operation across the island.

The shops were located at Orchard, Geylang, Serangoon, Pasir Ris, Jurong West, Yishun, Woodlands, Boon Lay, Desker Road, Syed Alwi Road and Rochor Canal Road."

I think since there are hardly any foreign visitors cos of the pandemic the sim cards just sit there to collect dust  That probably give rise to ppl having such ideas to generate income.

I don't get it.

Shouldn't a person must registered before signing up for sim?

2 minutes ago, Kopites said:

I don't get it.

Shouldn't a person must registered before signing up for sim?

That’s why these shop was raided.

Use other ppl ID to register lo

• Praise 3

Internal Moderator
14 hours ago, Beregond said:

Just now i reveive a new type of scam call.

a chinese guy call and say in chinese' : he laugh causally and say he change new number already , (but i really dun know who he is ) so i ask , then he reply 聼不出?he change new number already .

i thought he is 1 of the workers from some of my customer company require emergency service, then i ask him he from what company , he laugh causally and ask me guess. 

this scam call sound really very real . we really need to be damn alert

this guy is from variety show 我猜, 我猜, 我猜猜猜 issit? 😂

• Haha! 4

22 hours ago, Voodooman said:

OCBC needs to explain the below, especially allowing the setting up of OneToken by OTP and thereafter adding of new Payee via the newly registered digital token when its website said you will need a 6-digit Pin that is sent via surface mail and not just OTP to add new payee.

The couple was also baffled at how scammers were able to conduct so many high-risk activities with their account, such as changing transfer limits and setting up the OneToken, without ever giving out their one-time password (OTP).

DC794F45-912F-4888-BFDA-20F04C0A504B.jpeg

I had the benefit of setting my wife's digital token on ocbc app last week. The setup is not instant. 

After initial setup, the app is used as 2FA for simple transaction like logging into online banking from PC. For adding of payee, payment and fund transfer, it requires staff from ocbc to call and verify there was indeed a setup request by account holder. Only then the digital token is considered fully setup and allow those transactions.

I know because my wife was complaining to me I didn't setup her onetoken properly and she couldn't do her online transaction. Only after a staff call and verify the request then she could perform online transaction. 

• Praise 2

1 hour ago, Watwheels said:

Whatsapp message: "Bro, still into soccer betting?"

LoL...I dont even bother to watch soccer. See how many still wanna send this type of message?

Hosay liao.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/singapore/police-raid-handphone-shops-sim-cards-scam-2439256

Police raid 17 handphone shops in crackdown on SIM cards registered to fake users

The SIM cards are sold to customers who want to remain anonymous, and could have been used for crimes.

"SINGAPORE: Police on Sunday (Jan 16) arrested 10 people suspected of fraudulently registering prepaid SIM cards which could have been used for crimes such as scams, unlicensed moneylending and vice.

This came after raids on 17 handphone shops by the Commercial Affairs Department in a nine-hour operation across the island.

The shops were located at Orchard, Geylang, Serangoon, Pasir Ris, Jurong West, Yishun, Woodlands, Boon Lay, Desker Road, Syed Alwi Road and Rochor Canal Road."

I think since there are hardly any foreign visitors cos of the pandemic the sim cards just sit there to collect dust  That probably give rise to ppl having such ideas to generate income.

Me too received the same message several times. ://

• Haha! 1

Turbocharged
3 hours ago, Beregond said:

once the victim believe the caller is some 1 they know, i figure they got hundreds of stories and plots ready  to make the victim revel important info like nric bababa, or even trick the victim into tranfering money directly to him 

😁 hehe like that this scam sounds very outdated and primitive

guess the success rate is very low

• Haha! 2

12 hours ago, Volvobrick said:

I would lost interest immediately.  But not you? [laugh]

Anyway should ask if he is Lao Chen. If yes, ask him when he is going to return the 10K he borrowed.

Such scenario can go accordingly. 

"You sounded familiar. Ah Seng from traffic division? Hello, Let meet up at the basement staff canteen? "😁

• Haha! 2

In the old days ……Nigerian scam , Got magic stones scam  then also the special cleaning chemical… to cleanse dirtied USD notes …… Ponzi’s …..goes on n on ……. Gullible people are still there to bait 

• Praise 1
  • Sad 1

I dun know if u guys heard of this scam.

Scammer love to do this during CNY.

They send a hamper to your place. then tell u , u need to pay them a small delivery fee like 5 - 8 buks.

Then they will tell u, they cannot receive cash. U need to pay them by cashless, They will produce the machine and let U key in.
Once u Key in, thats it, later u will notice stuff like 3k or 5k pay out. 

Edited by Beregond
  • Praise 1
  • Shocked 4

15 minutes ago, Beregond said:

They send a hamper to your place. then tell u , u need to pay them a small delivery fee like 5 - 8 buks.

Then they will tell u, they cannot receive cash. U need to pay them by cashless, They will produce the machine and let U key in.

Many thanks for this info and warning![thumbsup]  I've quickly disseminate to my family and friends.

26 minutes ago, Beregond said:

this was many years back right?

i remember telling my parents not to receive any hamper delivered by our door step. 

• Praise 2

7 minutes ago, Stratovarius said:

this was many years back right?

i remember telling my parents not to receive any hamper delivered by our door step. 

they will repeat the same trick. recently some 1 parents kenna. 

Old ppl alone at home are easy target.........

Most family will not receive hamper out of nowhere. But those doing business confirm will receive, I receive like 4-5 this year already , they send to my workplace. Imagine my mum alone at home and kenna, and if the guy smart and throw smoke like sending to my company 1, my mum will believe .

(I warn her such stuff non stop liao, dun care who, pap, hdb, singtel , etc etc, no appointment dun open door or speak to them )

Edited by Beregond
  • Shocked 1

6 hours ago, Gizmore said:

I had the benefit of setting my wife's digital token on ocbc app last week. The setup is not instant. 

After initial setup, the app is used as 2FA for simple transaction like logging into online banking from PC. For adding of payee, payment and fund transfer, it requires staff from ocbc to call and verify there was indeed a setup request by account holder. Only then the digital token is considered fully setup and allow those transactions.

I know because my wife was complaining to me I didn't setup her onetoken properly and she couldn't do her online transaction. Only after a staff call and verify the request then she could perform online transaction. 

I believe that the call back that might be implemented now could be due to the incident in dec. I don’t actually believe that bank will call me everytime i set up a payee, not on the few bank accounts that i have been using, in fact never before.

but then i dont use my OCBC joint account so i cant be 100% sure also.

Scammers targeting old folks of their 'coffin money' are really worse than scums. Law should be passed to ensure once caught, they pay dearly. 

• Praise 2

Just now, Victor68 said:

Scammers targeting old folks of their 'coffin money' are really worse than scums. Law should be passed to ensure once caught, they pay dearly. 

I’m quite sure they dont really profile their victims in that manner.

its all just numbers that they see and money that matters.

everyone can be vulnerable here. I also know of a youngish lady working in tech firm almost got scammed by a phone call impersonating China interpol. Haha.

That was a great joke back then after she ‘cleared’ her mind. 

The scam is clever and easy to fall prey to if one is not exactly clear in their mind. Scammers are not just bad, but very innovative 

• Haha! 1

1 minute ago, Dp26 said:

I’m quite sure they dont really profile their victims in that manner.

its all just numbers that they see and money that matters.

everyone can be vulnerable here. I also know of a youngish lady working in tech firm almost got scammed by a phone call impersonating China interpol. Haha.

That was a great joke back then after she ‘cleared’ her mind. 

The scam is clever and easy to fall prey to if one is not exactly clear in their mind. Scammers are not just bad, but very innovative 

I am sure older folks are more likely to fall prey because of all these electronic token thing. Not that they want but force by the system. Last time they bring their bank book, nobody can withdraw without them. 

• Praise 1

2 minutes ago, Victor68 said:

I am sure older folks are more likely to fall prey because of all these electronic token thing. Not that they want but force by the system. Last time they bring their bank book, nobody can withdraw without them. 

yes, the old ways are slower, but much more safer and foolproof. 

Old folk dun know much about electronic gadget, many time out of embarrassment (paisei ) they will give out their key info like ic number bank account numbers easily.

( my mum dun even have a HP, she cannot use also, she dun have any card also, no nets no credit, so its extremely hard to scam her also. unless she take out all my cash my from drawer then i nothing to say😅

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2