Mother of all scams thread

Windwaver

22 minutes ago, Stratovarius said:

Im surprised OCBC did not hold the transaction and confirmed with the account holder first before proceeding. That time my mom wants to issue 20k cashier order from posb, they brought her into a room and interview her. They even called the recipient of the cashier order to check before allowing her to withdraw the money. 

Banks are more cautious with senior citizen.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

26 minutes ago, Rickster said:

Just saw an update on Today's article yesterday:

"In several cases, the victims could not understand how the scammers were able to quickly raise their transaction limits and conduct large local and overseas transactions to new payees without the need for an SMS-based OTP, which is a form of two-factor authentication.

One couple in their 40s, whose joint savings account was wiped of S$80,000, admitted that while they were at fault for compromising their bank account by divulging their account name and bank access code, they did not give the scammers any OTP or security token information."

"TODAY understands that OTP passwords sent via SMS could have been rerouted or compromised through a known vulnerability. Last September, Singapore authorities warned of bank OTPs being diverted to malicious actors overseas to conduct fraudulent transactions, affecting 75 bank customers."

OCBC will need to be partially liable in my opinion.

Does this mean that they can clone a phone ??? or is it when the Victim keys in the USER ID n PW /PIN to a fake website (which they can already see all the alphanumeric keys they can likewise also see when they key in OTP in the fake website ........ and on the parallel the scammers are using the real OCBC website to key in immediately

OCBC must come clean and openly say which country is the funds going to and all that kind of details..(of course the criminals will be using 3rd party accounts to recieve funds - just the same way Ah Loongs use innocent victims accounts ).... and rope in INTERPOL    

• Praise 3

8 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

Banks are more cautious with senior citizen.

Not really. Many years back when i requested a cashier order, they also ask me for what. i told them is for dp to buy car. lol.

• Praise 2

10 minutes ago, Stratovarius said:

Not really. Many years back when i requested a cashier order, they also ask me for what. i told them is for dp to buy car. lol.

For your case, it is likely due to KYC requirement.

Recently, due to scams on elderly, banks are more careful with large amounts of withdrawal.

8 minutes ago, mikk123 said:

correct. Take your money out from them and put under the bed 😁

Banks are all trying to catch up with all sorts of IT gadget, but hackers are one step ahead of them. Some victims received SMS from the usual OCBC sms tread, it means OCBC system is also compromised.  Some even claimed that they didn't even receive a sms when the money is out! 

the best way to ensure safety is go for those traditional banks with not much high tech, like Hong Leong finance...

DBS is forcing (or has forced) customers to give up their physical tokens and go onto app based authentication. This is to me compromising security to save costs. At least OCBC has u-turned on this. 

Maybe going to open a OCBC account! 

• Praise 2

5 minutes ago, Volvobrick said:

DBS is forcing (or has forced) customers to give up their physical tokens and go onto app based authentication. This is to me compromising security to save costs. At least OCBC has u-turned on this. 

Already forced people to give up since last year April. 😒

8 minutes ago, Volvobrick said:

come open AC with BankCoe.......... full personalised service with @Jamesc n his beauties at your service, not just lip service hor  

• Haha! 6

7 minutes ago, BanCoe said:

come open AC with BankCoe.......... full personalised service with @Jamesc n his beauties at your service, not just lip service hor  

Interest rate? 

We pay you?

• Haha! 3

11 minutes ago, BanCoe said:

But lip service is what a lot of customers like.

:D

• Haha! 3

16 minutes ago, BanCoe said:

Interest rate? 

We pay you? 🤣

14 minutes ago, Fcw75 said:

Interest rate? 

We pay you?

Interest guaranteed ...... Principal ......... later we will talk about it 😂

• Haha! 4

IT engineer kenna online scam.

Lawyer buy clocked car with AD verifying mileage tempered lost case in court.

2 Interpol officers in Saigon going from airport to hotel taxi driver stop halfway and demanded they pay US$100 for the fare scaredy-cat scared scared they paid the US$100.

:D

What next?

• Haha! 2

6 hours ago, Volvobrick said:

Having a physical token will not stop kan cheong spider consumers from clicking on a phishing link when under panic mode. From the OCBC cases reported, physical or digital token would've made no difference to the outcome. Perhaps one corrective mitigation here is to totally avoid using SMS based notifications.

The weakest link is always the human. That's why social engineering is such a critical factor to the success of any security attacks.

Edited by Jellandross
  • Praise 6

Way to go is to move away from e-commerce and online shopping ( Shopee, Lazada, Amazon et cetc ). Call me old fashion, I still Q for Toto/ 4D and refused to go online, simply I see the ground ppl and can gauge the surrounding better. With G trying hard to push the 5G boundary, senior folks are being inconvenienced to open new acct online. I dislike the attitude if few ppl who insisted win doing what the Banks, CPF board, LTA site particularly during the Covid-19 period . . . 

Bank insisting on using token or e-banking on every transaction, update

CPF using Singpass for access, it can trace the frequency of logging in/ out, then came in mobile notifications after notification

LTA- Bad & Poor service rendered during endemic/ Oct/Nov/21 when I tried to update my LTA detail on car road tax verification, keep insisting on using QR quote to scan documents to them instead of face to face explanation were lost.

Bottom line not every senior folks are IT savvy on mobile, thy mayo or may not have access on desktop computer due to poor memory p/w, user ID log-in etc. the relevant authority are not helping the Nation much, thy are killing us faster than innovation. talk about 5G , Goodness.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1