Mother of all scams thread

Windwaver

Dunno what's the complaint about?

E services are bloody awesome. So many hours wasted previously queuing and waiting. 

going to banks is an epic waste of time. If you are retiree and nothing better to do is good. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 8
  • Haha! 3

@Meanmachine @Sosaria 

19 hours ago, Sosaria said:

Same here. Extremely slow adopter of technologies [laugh]

No paynow (until very recently because need to accept payment conveniently), no grabpay, just rely on cash, credit card and my own transport to go where i want and tar-pao food. The only e-payment i use is paylah because i keep a small account with this bank for such purposes. Even if got scammed, won't lose much.

As far as possible, do not link your main bank account (where salary goes in) to your phone. For convenient e-payment using phone, open another bank account and transfer small amounts over from your main bank account as and when needed.

Well said and totally agree. I have worked >20 years in the IT industry and joined Bank 3 years ago. 

But cannot said we are extremely slow adopter of technologies. Technologies have its Pro and Cons. Have to use it wisely. 

Technology has enabled new levels of convenience at home, in the office, and nearly everywhere else. And one can accomplish many things by just using a mobile phone. 

But Many of the so called Cybersecurity experts that I came across or spoke to..........they are only slightly better than the security guard. 

Only after incidents happened, these Cybersecurity experts talk until got tiger got dragon.......but why not fixed the system loopholes, bugs, design flaw in the first place? 

Removed laptop, mobile, internet, IoT from these Cybersecurity experts and throw them and the security guard into the jungle. The security guard will have a better chance of surviving. 

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 3

1 hour ago, Meanmachine said:

Way to go is to move away from e-commerce and online shopping ( Shopee, Lazada, Amazon et cetc ). Call me old fashion, I still Q for Toto/ 4D and refused to go online, simply I see the ground ppl and can gauge the surrounding better. With G trying hard to push the 5G boundary, senior folks are being inconvenienced to open new acct online. I dislike the attitude if few ppl who insisted win doing what the Banks, CPF board, LTA site particularly during the Covid-19 period . . . 

Bank insisting on using token or e-banking on every transaction, update

CPF using Singpass for access, it can trace the frequency of logging in/ out, then came in mobile notifications after notification

LTA- Bad & Poor service rendered during endemic/ Oct/Nov/21 when I tried to update my LTA detail on car road tax verification, keep insisting on using QR quote to scan documents to them instead of face to face explanation were lost.

Bottom line not every senior folks are IT savvy on mobile, thy mayo or may not have access on desktop computer due to poor memory p/w, user ID log-in etc. the relevant authority are not helping the Nation much, thy are killing us faster than innovation. talk about 5G , Goodness.

@Meanmachine 

Anyway try not to add or saved too many credit card in Shopee, Lazada, Amazon..........

If need to do online purchasing, just key in your secondary credit card with only $1K limit in Shopee, Lazada and online merchants with only $1K limit or something like that. 

Don't link your credit card with 10k-20k limit to these online merchants. 

• Praise 3

One ingenious way to prevent scam is everytime someone wants to do a transfer, the app must get another household member to approve. It's a bit more troublesome, but there is one level of check. 

Edited by Ingenius
  • Praise 1

On 1/9/2022 at 7:29 PM, BanCoe said:

Most dont but many have to do it to access certain sites...... IRAS/LTA/MOM/MOH/ICA even the Credit Card companies   and many others all have to pay online only most of the time when you are acessing their services........ Guv keep on increasing retirement age and savvy upgrading expectations  of  people lan lan have to go ONLINE....... some services they dont even want to accept over the counter (or they make it so difficult like taking upto 1 week for approval of application or result and when its need of the hour what to do?????  

DBS/POSB already 1 step ahead, they just close a lot of neighborhood counter branch and change it in some video teller machine which do not accept over the counter services. Counter service need to go to some main branches which is at least a few bus or mrt stop away. Old folks have to travel all the way to the branch and join the long q for counter services. 🤦‍♂️
Likely CNY new notes will see long q from those main branches.

Edited by Ghgan

3 hours ago, Meanmachine said:

Way to go is to move away from e-commerce and online shopping ( Shopee, Lazada, Amazon et cetc ). Call me old fashion, I still Q for Toto/ 4D and refused to go online, simply I see the ground ppl and can gauge the surrounding better. With G trying hard to push the 5G boundary, senior folks are being inconvenienced to open new acct online. I dislike the attitude if few ppl who insisted win doing what the Banks, CPF board, LTA site particularly during the Covid-19 period . . . 

Bank insisting on using token or e-banking on every transaction, update

CPF using Singpass for access, it can trace the frequency of logging in/ out, then came in mobile notifications after notification

LTA- Bad & Poor service rendered during endemic/ Oct/Nov/21 when I tried to update my LTA detail on car road tax verification, keep insisting on using QR quote to scan documents to them instead of face to face explanation were lost.

Bottom line not every senior folks are IT savvy on mobile, thy mayo or may not have access on desktop computer due to poor memory p/w, user ID log-in etc. the relevant authority are not helping the Nation much, thy are killing us faster than innovation. talk about 5G , Goodness.

Going backward?  Nolar, you can go queue, I don't want. I will just limit my funds at each bank to play safe.

• Praise 3

Turbocharged
2 hours ago, Ingenius said:

One ingenious way to prevent scam is everytime someone wants to do a transfer, the app must get another household member to approve. It's a bit more troublesome, but there is one level of check. 

cannot lah... like that if @Jamesc want to transfer allowance to his xiao san how? 😁

• Haha! 4

4 hours ago, Jellandross said:

Having a physical token will not stop kan cheong spider consumers from clicking on a phishing link when under panic mode. From the OCBC cases reported, physical or digital token would've made no difference to the outcome. Perhaps one corrective mitigation here is to totally avoid using SMS based notifications.

The weakest link is always the human. That's why social engineering is such a critical factor to the success of any security attacks.

Can you elaborate why physical or digital token would've made no difference to the outcome? Especially digital token embedded in the banking apps that is tied to your phone?

This can happen to any bank and the fault usually lies with the user aka human error. 

as mentioned earlier, social engineering is very real. Just that now people do it behind a computer also. 

while I feel sad for all those that lost their monies, I hope more will be aware of this lesson learnt from what had happened. 

ps: yes I also keep my mum away from any online, internet banking. Elder folks are just more likely to fall prey as they sometimes don’t understand how it works for things on the internet. 
As much as possible, I’ll do it for her if need to. 

on a side note, I went to SCB to close off my account recently and requested to cancel off my CC also. Close accounts ok, cancel CC must go online to cancel. Even though I’m there at the physical bank. The convenience of doing so via online became an inconvenience when I was at the bank. 
sometimes common sense like not that common anymore. 
And when I thought that’s the end, I received like 8/9 letters from the bank informing of all the individual accounts that I closed. 
the system don’t have they brains to consolidate it also. 🤦🏼

• Praise 1

28 minutes ago, Meanmachine said:

@Ghgan Give you my Tips to get fresh crispy note - Go early morning ATM, coz the Aux Police does the job well, U got to find out the shift thy go normally, I was lucky the other day.

no need lah, if u know a friend working in the bank, most of the time the staff can change new CNY note internally.

3 hours ago, Mahjong74 said:

@Meanmachine @Sosaria 

Well said and totally agree. I have worked >20 years in the IT industry and joined Bank 3 years ago. 

But cannot said we are extremely slow adopter of technologies. Technologies have its Pro and Cons. Have to use it wisely. 

Technology has enabled new levels of convenience at home, in the office, and nearly everywhere else. And one can accomplish many things by just using a mobile phone

But Many of the so called Cybersecurity experts that I came across or spoke to..........they are only slightly better than the security guard. 

Only after incidents happened, these Cybersecurity experts talk until got tiger got dragon.......but why not fixed the system loopholes, bugs, design flaw in the first place? 

Removed laptop, mobile, internet, IoT from these Cybersecurity experts and throw them and the security guard into the jungle. The security guard will have a better chance of surviving. 

Sounds like covid experts. And Financial Experts. In fact most experts.... 

Edited by Volvobrick
  • Haha! 2

8 hours ago, Voodooman said:

Can you elaborate why physical or digital token would've made no difference to the outcome? Especially digital token embedded in the banking apps that is tied to your phone?

In the recent OCBC case, victims were misled to believe that the fake OCBC website was the genuine OCBC website. The scammers were simply relying on victims to feed them with username, password and OTP. Hence regardless of app base token or physical token, victims would still have fed them the necessary info to be robbed. The scammers were simply transferring the info from their fake website and input directly into genuine OCBC. They are like a proxy. 

• Praise 1

10 hours ago, Ghgan said:

DBS/POSB already 1 step ahead, they just close a lot of neighborhood counter branch and change it in some video teller machine which do not accept over the counter services. Counter service need to go to some main branches which is at least a few bus or mrt stop away. Old folks have to travel all the way to the branch and join the long q for counter services. 🤦‍♂️
Likely CNY new notes will see long q from those main branches.

It’s not only DBS even UOB, OCBC, Maybank/Stanchart also monkey see monkey do …….. worst still is their phones navigation menu makes you wait quite damn long too ……… stressfOOL really at times …….. same with Govt Depts …….. even lagi worst!! 

• Haha! 2

1 hour ago, Rayleigh said:

In the recent OCBC case, victims were misled to believe that the fake OCBC website was the genuine OCBC website. The scammers were simply relying on victims to feed them with username, password and OTP. Hence regardless of app base token or physical token, victims would still have fed them the necessary info to be robbed. The scammers were simply transferring the info from their fake website and input directly into genuine OCBC. They are like a proxy. 

Thanks for sharing. I understand this part but will digital token help?