Mercedes Will Discontinue Offering Wagons By 2030: Report

kobayashiGT

Internal Moderator

image.png.fc561064442231ffad7d8aef666ae55e.png

Source: https://www.motor1.com/news/560074/mercedes-discontinuing-wagons-2030-report/

Well, the future is looking bleak for Mercedes wagons. Where Volvo is determined to keep both wagons and sedans alive, Mercedes is allegedly taking a different route. According to a new Automobilwoche report, the German automaker plans to discontinue offering any wagon in its lineup by the end of the decade.

The dominos will start to fall with the CLA Shooting Brake, which will disappear from the Mercedes lineup for the 2025 model year, with no successor planned. A future generation E-Class, which will allegedly arrive in 2030, won’t offer a wagon variant either, according to the report. Mercedes introduced the latest-generation C-Class with a traditional wagon model, also offering a high-riding All-Terrain version that’s only available in Europe, but who knows how long those will survive.

2020-mercedes-amg-e-63-t-modell.jpg

The death knell for Mercedes wagons began ringing back in September when company COO Markus Schäfer discussed the dwindling appeal and market for wagons at a time when automakers are also spending billions to transition to electric vehicles. Allocating money to design, develop, and build EVs for a shrinking customer base isn’t easy to justify when customers want electric crossovers and SUVs instead.

Automobilwoche’s report notes that the company is considering alternatives to offer these customers, especially to German ones. Mercedes could offer high-riding sedans that can accommodate the batteries in the floor or make a starker distinction between the crossovers and SUVs in its lineup. However, the report doesn’t speculate on what this splitting could entail.

2030 is still a long way to go. Maybe by 2028, the trend will go back to sedan and wagon. 🤣

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2
  • Shocked 1
  • Sad 1

A future generation E-Class, which will allegedly arrive in 2030, 

So the facelift W213 will continue to be produced til 2030? A 15 year lifespan for W213 chassis will be very long indeed. 

6 hours ago, Volvobrick said:

My furry master is so sad cannot take Merc now, only Wowo..... 

Wah ! Yours - atas pedigree mah ……mine sit in Van 😩

• Haha! 5

12 hours ago, Ceecookie said:

So the facelift W213 will continue to be produced til 2030? A 15 year lifespan for W213 chassis will be very long indeed. 

The next generation E-Class (W214) is already in testing with production ready grill, headlight and taillight, so can expect it to be introduced by next year.

mercedes-benz-e-class_100823870_h.jpg

mercedes-benz-e-class_100823873_h.jpg

mercedes-benz-e-class_100823876_h.jpg

The news should be referring to the 7th generation E-Class, since each Mercedes model typically last around 7 years on average.

10 hours ago, Volvobrick said:

My furry master is so sad cannot take Merc now, only Wowo..... 

You still have another 8 years to get a Mercedes (C or E estate) before they stop wagon production totally. Honestly, after reading this post, I did pop over to sgcarmart to check out the facelift E-Class Estate (by PI) but the thought of paying $80K just for COE kill all my 杂念... -_-

• Praise 8
  • Haha! 1

46 minutes ago, Carbon82 said:

The next generation E-Class (W214) is already in testing with production ready grill, headlight and taillight, so can expect it to be introduced by next year.

mercedes-benz-e-class_100823870_h.jpg

mercedes-benz-e-class_100823873_h.jpg

mercedes-benz-e-class_100823876_h.jpg

The news should be referring to the 7th generation E-Class, since each Mercedes model typically last around 7 years on average.

You still have another 8 years to get a Mercedes (C or E estate) before they stop wagon production totally. Honestly, after reading this post, I did pop over to sgcarmart to check out the facelift E-Class Estate (by PI) but the thought of paying $80K just for COE kill all my 杂念... -_-

E wagon not bad. Just a tad on the long side for local parking lots. 80k coe is too much. Wait for interest rates to go up and maybe it will come down to 50, 60k then get lor.  TTS brought in one lot a few months ago. 

• Praise 1

12 hours ago, Volvobrick said:

E wagon not bad. Just a tad on the long side for local parking lots. 80k coe is too much. Wait for interest rates to go up and maybe it will come down to 50, 60k then get lor.  TTS brought in one lot a few months ago. 

E wagon have garnered many good reviews and is not significantly more expensive than sedan variant which is my ideal scenario, but still too stretch for me to consider, so can only admire it from afar. But have to say I love the amount of space in the boot, only Skoda Superb Combi can match but too bad not available here (price will not be cheap too if available). 

3 hours ago, Jamesc said:

No more G Wagons?

G wagon is not a wagon but SUV lah, so will not be impacted. By wagon, they are referring to Estate variant.

Btw, you keen with G wagon meh? I thought you only focus on hunting for G Spot Sport? :D:D

• Praise 3
  • Haha! 6

I like G String too!

:D

4 minutes ago, Carbon82 said:

E wagon have garnered many good reviews and is not significantly more expensive than sedan variant which is my ideal scenario, but still too stretch for me to consider, so can only admire it from afar. But have to say I love the amount of space in the boot, only Skoda Superb Combi can match but too bad not available here (price will not be cheap too if available). 

G wagon is not a wagon but SUV lah, so will not be impacted. By wagon, they are referring to Estate variant.

Btw, you keen with G wagon meh? I thought you only focus on hunting for G Spot Sport? :D:D

• Haha! 1

On 1/12/2022 at 11:47 AM, Ceecookie said:

Wow.. good spare parts status

Supercharged

No more wagons means no more old-school Merc hearse. If one prefers a last ride in a 3-pointed star, may have to settle for a converted V-class.   😁

• Haha! 2

The last E-Class wagon getting ready to be launched next year. The spy shots below are the top of line C63 variant.

mercedes-amg-c63-wagon-spy-photos.jpg

The rear section seems to be shorter than the current model, or was it that the cabin is getting more leg space (longer wheelbase)?

• Praise 7

Pity the wagon or estate will be killed off…. No thanks to suvs I guess 😒 

I did get a shooting brake few weeks ago. Least owned 1 in my short car ownership .. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2