Trunk Rack for Bicycle

Calvin8808

27 minutes ago, Calvin8808 said:

Hi,

Does anyone has experience installing trunk rack for bicycle?

Will it cause damage to the paintwork?

I used bike rack for many many years when my children were younger, never experienced paint damage before. Buy the better quality  rack, it is safer , more sturdy, has better quality hooks and mounts to protect the paint.  I saw a brand Saris, looks good but need further evaluation. Thule is another established brand as well. The rest of experience bros may want to chip in. 

Edited by Ct3833

Just now, Ct3833 said:

I used bike rack for many many years when my children were younger, never experienced paint damage before. Buy the better quality  rack, it is safer , more sturdy, has better quality hooks and mounts to protect the paint. 

I was looking at purchasing a Thule Outway Hanging 3 for my sedan car. 

My 2 bikes have child seat mounted and pannier bag as well. Something like the pics below.

Was worried that the bags, child seat and pedal will come into contact with the bumper or trunk. 

Also concerned that the contact point of the bike rack with trunk will cause damage or scratches to paintwork.

image.thumb.png.21ef6b070d5c8440aa73605a2ace041c.png

image.png.5cfb6b9f7986376b798dc7c9962035be.png 

image.png.e96c5506779421c87d33e20a82eab546.png

5 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

If worry, get this

BA37D059-F70E-418A-94F8-9C94590CC51F.jpeg

I was told this type need to wield the receiver to the car was told may affect car warranty and also find this type too bulky to keep

Just now, Calvin8808 said:

I was told this type need to wield the receiver to the car was told may affect car warranty and also find this type too bulky to keep

It is secured against tow hook. Not sure why affect warranty.

It is either this or roof rack.

Where are you driving to cycle? The destination is not connected to park connectors?

Your bicycle rack will become a white elephant. Heng, last time I bought a cheap one at the bicycle shop. Things like this that is install on a car are designed not to scratch the paint works of course.

After a few times you will be like what i see on other cars....the bicycle rack become a permanent feature on the car, with no bicycle on it. Just cycle to your destination and back. Why be so half committed? 🤣

If you really want one make sure you install an additional car number plate on the rack.

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

2 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

Where are you driving to cycle? The destination is not connected to park connectors?

Your bicycle rack will become a white elephant. Heng, last time I bought a cheap one at the bicycle shop. Things like this that is install on a car are designed not to scratch the paint works of course.

After a few times you will be like what i see on other cars....the bicycle rack become a permanent feature on the car, with no bicycle on it. Just cycle to your destination and back. Why be so half committed? 🤣

If you really want one make sure you install an additional car number plate on the rack.

Well that's because my daughter wants to cycle at places like Sentosa and both her who is 6 years old and my wife can't cycle for very far. 

Which is why am thinking of getting a rack

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

I worry here worry there, buy a Toyota Dyna😂

Joking Bro, go to the shop and see and get a good one. Usually it will not hurt your paint. If any hook you feel will hurt your paint, just get a thin rubber pad to protect but it will be troublesome lah.

• Haha! 2

14 minutes ago, Calvin8808 said:

Well that's because my daughter wants to cycle at places like Sentosa and both her who is 6 years old and my wife can't cycle for very far. 

Which is why am thinking of getting a rack

I have used kids bicycle(with training wheels) rental those using QR scan at West Coast Park. I brought my kids there. You buy kids bicycle which they will out grow very quickly and when they are older they just want to stay home and play Roblox or Minecraft then your bicycle rack will become a white elephant.

I am like you before, a 24siao father. But I bought kick scooters instead since bicycles can rent at parks. And kick scooter dont need a  rack. Can be folded and stored in the boot. Now collecting dust. Imo waste of money.

I heard that Thule roof rack can rent. 

Edited by Watwheels
  • Haha! 2

Did not check what brand our SG office use. But take a closer look at the hooks are already rubber coated. We always hook to our young boy's Subaru XV. No issue leh

601963222785055580.jpg

• Praise 4

17 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

I have used kids bicycle(with training wheels) rental those using QR scan at West Coast Park. I brought my kids there. You buy kids bicycle which they will out grow very quickly and when they are older they just want to stay home and play Roblox or Minecraft then your bicycle rack will become a white elephant.

I am like you before, a 24siao father. But I bought kick scooters instead since bicycles can rent at parks. And kick scooter dont need a  rack. Can be folded and stored in the boot. Now collecting dust. Imo waste of money.

I heard that Thule roof rack can rent. 

Totally agreed. I bought a cheap foldie for mine (can adjust to cater to all heights) same ending like you described. 

At least I don't have to buy bike rack. My wagon can swallow 2 regular bikes with wheels off plus 1 foldie if I need to and still transport 4 pax. . But never happened. 

2 hours ago, Calvin8808 said:

Not wield, there are proper  mounting that can bolt  the hitch receiver to both side of the main structure under the carriage . But if I am correct, this one needs approval from LTA. I explored this 30 years ago but did not pursue further. 

Something like this.

https://www.amazon.sg/CURT-13435-Receiver-Compatible-Forester/dp/B082VW3NQS/ref=asc_df_B082VW3NQS/?tag=googleshoppin-22&linkCode=df0&hvadid=406364574873&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=13647988135883700748&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9062519&hvtargid=pla-896544887929&psc=1

When I used bike rack decades ago, it didnt really bother about my car. Car is to carry my family and the bikes to have more fun, 10 years later it will be scrapped. So rack safety is my first consideration, car scratch is not in my mind at all.

The thule model you are showing seems solid.  By the way, you can look for rubber straps or  bike straps to retrain the bike further after mounting them on the rack. 

Edited by Ct3833

Internal Moderator
38 minutes ago, Mustank said:

:grin:

B4B7D88E-8378-456E-800B-D1057719A437.jpeg

65583D20-ED0E-47A0-BF96-20B78D4B287C.jpeg

woah. don't suggest this. next time no one sell lorry liao like that.

all use tesla plus one cart behind. hahahahahha.

↡ Advertisement