Trunk Rack for Bicycle

Calvin8808

2 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said:

woah. don't suggest this. next time no one sell lorry liao like that.

all use tesla plus one cart behind. hahahahahha.

Illegal lah bro :XD:

wait Kena catch orh gong until pocket one hole ah

Edited by Mustank

2 hours ago, PSP415 said:

https://dollarsandsense.sg/cheat-sheet-bicycle-rentals/

You may find this useful. 

Cos long time ago, I installed a roof rack. Interest lasted 2 months. Since then bikes kept at home. 

Yours may last much longer than mine. It was a pure white elephant to me, thinking back. 

😂

Stay safe 

Cheers 

His bikes have child seats,  that means he has no choice but to follow his children, and i am suite sure his kids will like it a lot . 

Edited by Ct3833

1 hour ago, Ct3833 said:

His bikes have child seats,  that means he has no choice but to follow his children, and i am suite sure his kids will like it a lot . 

IC.

But a child seat for bicycle is a permanent fix on that specific bike and its not the movable type?

Yes, pretty sure his kids will love the adventure too. 

Stay safe 

Cheers 

• Praise 1

Just now, PSP415 said:

IC.

But a child seat for bicycle is a permanent fix on that specific bike and its not the movable type?

Stay safe 

Cheers 

Child seats can be easily secured using 3  nuts, while it can be removed , usually peope will leave it there till the kids can go on their own small trainer bikes.

• Praise 1

On 1/14/2022 at 4:02 PM, Ct3833 said:

Not wield, there are proper  mounting that can bolt  the hitch receiver to both side of the main structure under the carriage . But if I am correct, this one needs approval from LTA. I explored this 30 years ago but did not pursue further. 

Something like this.

https://www.amazon.sg/CURT-13435-Receiver-Compatible-Forester/dp/B082VW3NQS/ref=asc_df_B082VW3NQS/?tag=googleshoppin-22&linkCode=df0&hvadid=406364574873&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=13647988135883700748&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9062519&hvtargid=pla-896544887929&psc=1

When I used bike rack decades ago, it didnt really bother about my car. Car is to carry my family and the bikes to have more fun, 10 years later it will be scrapped. So rack safety is my first consideration, car scratch is not in my mind at all.

The thule model you are showing seems solid.  By the way, you can look for rubber straps or  bike straps to retrain the bike further after mounting them on the rack. 

Yup you are right. MY AD does provide tow bar to be installed and need LTA approval and it cost a cool $2.6K. That's not including the bike rack yet...

On 1/14/2022 at 7:03 PM, Ct3833 said:

On 1/14/2022 at 8:34 PM, PSP415 said:

IC.

Stay safe 

Cheers 

On 1/14/2022 at 8:37 PM, Ct3833 said:

Child seats can be easily secured using 3  nuts, while it can be removed , usually peope will leave it there till the kids can go on their own small trainer bikes.

Yup they love sitting on the bike with child seat and the elder one does love riding on her own too. Child seats can be removed so does the front rack with pannier bags. 

But the problem with most trunk rack is that once the rack is installed on it the boot can't be used unless you remove the bike rack so it's pretty troublesome to remove the seats etc.

• Praise 1

2 hours ago, Scion said:

not the best comparison lah

can't buy Chanel bag, can get a $1 NTUC recycle bag to carry stuff

but all the cars in Singapore, expensive or not, are all subject to COE

But the best but similar. Don't buy leather handbag can use NTUC plastic bag or recycle bag. Don't buy car can use public transport too. 

Many moons ago when we were into mountain biking, I tried different brand of racks and finally settled with the Saris trunk rack - super sturdy and heavy duty with good rubber protection at contact points with the vehicle. Mounted 2 adult and 1 kiddo bikes with no issue.

Screenshot 2022-01-18 at 7.59.58 PM.png

• Praise 1

On 1/14/2022 at 1:36 PM, Calvin8808 said:

I was looking at purchasing a Thule Outway Hanging 3 for my sedan car. 

My 2 bikes have child seat mounted and pannier bag as well. Something like the pics below.

Was worried that the bags, child seat and pedal will come into contact with the bumper or trunk. 

Also concerned that the contact point of the bike rack with trunk will cause damage or scratches to paintwork.

image.thumb.png.21ef6b070d5c8440aa73605a2ace041c.png

image.png.5cfb6b9f7986376b798dc7c9962035be.png 

image.png.e96c5506779421c87d33e20a82eab546.png

The bag will be the protection for the point work. 

I will be more concern of the pedals position against the bumper.

On 1/14/2022 at 2:17 PM, Arogab said:

Did not check what brand our SG office use. But take a closer look at the hooks are already rubber coated. We always hook to our young boy's Subaru XV. No issue leh

601963222785055580.jpg

This place looks like 3018 Bedok North Street 5 Eastlink. 😁

• Haha! 2

On 1/17/2022 at 8:23 AM, Calvin8808 said:

Yup they love sitting on the bike with child seat and the elder one does love riding on her own too. Child seats can be removed so does the front rack with pannier bags

But the problem with most trunk rack is that once the rack is installed on it the boot can't be used unless you remove the bike rack so it's pretty troublesome to remove the seats etc.

Yes even if the boot can be opened , dont try to do that with bikes mounted,  the two hinges of the boot are not designed to take those  additional loads. 

Edited by Ct3833
  • Praise 1

2 hours ago, Wolfverine said:

Many moons ago when we were into mountain biking, I tried different brand of racks and finally settled with the Saris trunk rack - super sturdy and heavy duty with good rubber protection at contact points with the vehicle. Mounted 2 adult and 1 kiddo bikes with no issue.

Yes saris looks well built, TS looking at thule which is good too. Dont buy cheap rack, better pay more to be safe. I used to use rhodegear decades ago, no regrets decision  too . 

• Praise 1

(edited)
11 hours ago, Wolfverine said:

Did you mount the bikes on the inner most? Any issue with that? The manufacturers manual almost always ask us to mount the heaviest bike on the inner most. 

Is there enough clearance from the bike to the car? 

What model is that? Both the car and rack

Edited by Calvin8808

Or is it more advisable to install roof rack?

However I'm really worried about forgetting about the height limit.

Also I really don't like the looks of rack be it truck rack or roof rack. So I will definitely remove them when not in use and only reinstall when I need it.