Bad driving advice

CarGuy88

Signalling is optional

In Ubi driving school back in 2007, one instructor told me that "now you must signal every time, but once you pass it's up to you".

My 5 years in Australia showed me what an uncultured a**hole/idiot I looked like by signaling arbitrarily. Since then I signal like a robot, 100% of the time, even when in carparks and when on empty-looking roads.

Jam brake if someone tailgates you

This one came from peers who were newly minted drivers during NS. I never had the balls to do it, but soon realised it was ridiculous, dangerous, and illegal.

No need to signal if on a turning only lane at a traffic junction

This is similar to my first point. When someone said this to me, I asked "do you signal to show other road users where you are intending to go, or for yourself to see?"

There are all kinds of road users on the road, other vehicles, pedestrians, nowadays E-scooters and bicycles...etc. many people will be looking to your signal to make decisions and you may not even realise it.

If you yield to faster vehicles while driving at 90km/h on the right-most lane, you are abetting them in commiting a crime (of speeding)

If they speed and get caught, that's their business. All I can say is that you would be committing the (at minimum, antisocial) crime of road hogging if you failed to yield.

---

What other bad driving advice have you received?

Edited by CarGuy88
Style and clarity
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 7

Always blame other driver the moment u get out of the car on an accident 

even if you doing a solo performance and go into a ditch. It’s the Dutch fault for not being covered

Edited by Sdf4786k
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 6

Maybe local instructors tell their students

We teach you the secrets of those special training

course only premium car customers get

and we teach you these things for free.

:D

bmw.jpg.167a887906e8f86d73c150e99e075928.jpg

Edited by Jamesc
  • Haha! 3

97% of PHV drivers think to make more money

drive like an a hole.

Only stop at red light if got camera

Always turn on a go straight lane to cut queue.

Never form up just cut queue at the chevron.

Drive at 60 on highway to save fuel.

All cars have to give way to you because you are earning money on the road.

Your money is more important let other cars wait for you lah!

Other people time is not important, they not making money on the road.

Edited by Jamesc
  • Praise 2
  • Haha! 3

38 minutes ago, CarGuy88 said:

Signalling is optional

In Ubi driving school back in 2007, one instructor told me that "now you must signal every time, but once you pass it's up to you".

My 5 years in Australia showed me what an uncultured a**hole/idiot I looked like by signaling arbitrarily. Since then I signal like a robot, 100% of the time, even when in carparks and when on empty-looking roads.

Jam brake if someone tailgates you

This one came from peers who were newly minted drivers during NS. I never had the balls to do it, but soon realised it was ridiculous, dangerous, and illegal.

No need to signal if on a turning only lane at a traffic junction

This is similar to my first point. When someone said this to me, I asked "do you signal to show other road users where you are intending to go, or for yourself to see?"

There are all kinds of road users on the road, other vehicles, pedestrians, nowadays E-scooters and bicycles...etc. many people will be looking to your signal to make decisions and you may not even realise it.

If you yield to faster vehicles while driving at 90km/h on the right-most lane, you are abetting them in commiting a crime (of speeding)

If they speed and get caught, that's their business. All I can say is that you would be committing the (at minimum, antisocial) crime of road hogging if you failed to yield.

---

What other bad driving advice have you received?

That driving instructor should have been exposed and made popular! May be the TP can have a relook at his driving instructor's license!

• Haha! 3

Most instructors even if they don't say think it.

Do this to pass the test and after that up to you.

Well after the lousy student pass the test 

he or she no more instructor's problem what.

But if the student don't pass the test then

tell the whole world instructor no good

and poor instructor no business.

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

11 minutes ago, Fitvip said:

That driving instructor should have been exposed and made popular! May be the TP can have a relook at his driving instructor's license!

Too late to find out now, a random instructor would be allocated for each lesson so I can't remember. But that was indeed a common mindset then (and maybe now too 😅).

The instructors in Australia is thinking

Train good driving habits for life is not about passing the test

but saving lives on the road.

• Praise 1

2 minutes ago, CarGuy88 said:

Too late to find out now, a random instructor would be allocated for each lesson so I can't remember. But that was indeed a common mindset then (and maybe now too 😅).

For an instructor to tell his students this is, to say the least, irresponsible! 

Well its like TP giving fines to meet their daily target

and TP stopping people because they have seen

so many dead bodies they don't want to see anymore.

I watch New Zealand traffic police shows

and its always I stop you because we don't

want to see accidents and its never I have to meet KPIs

lah to keep my job. Got family to feed.

• Praise 1

People like bad advice.

They remember it and use it for life.

No one remember good advice or use it.

If you are the exception.

Never rush and always do the correct things every time.

It will save your life

• Praise 1

BMW and Mercedes drivers must never signal. Signaling is only for peasants.
Upper society drivers already suffer the ignominy of having the share the same roads as cheap Japanese and Korean cars. Signaling will show that you are the same class as them

• Haha! 2

57 minutes ago, Jamesc said:

The instructors in Australia is thinking

Train good driving habits for life is not about passing the test

but saving lives on the road.

Oh I'm sure the Aussies and other AMDKs care more about saving lives than anything else. 

It can't at all be due to the fact that they have a far more ridiculous revenue generation officer...er, I mean police presence on the road than us. 

After all, that just be why so many AMDK come here and drive like entitled colonial master twats.

And their cyclists also come here and demonstrate their supremacy on our roads. After all, AMDK is always superior to Asian small banana right? 🍌

😁

• Haha! 4