PHEV and VES rating

cyeogh

My understanding is that LTA relies on CO2 emissions to determine the VES? 
Was looking at both the VES bandings for the BMW 330e and the 530e. Both have similar ICE engines (B48), yet the 530e is VES B while the 330e is C1 and subjected to $15,000 surcharge. The 530e emits 105 g/Km of CO2 (as published by LTA in the Cost of Registered Cars, Dec 2021). The 330e was categorised in A2 in June 2020 however was changed to C1 which means that to CO2 emissions is above 160 g/Km. 
I’m puzzled as to the variance of CO2 emissions on similar ICE platforms in the 330e and the 530e. 

↡ Advertisement

Another question on VES rating for the 420i Coupe (G22) and the 420i Gran Coupe (G26). The G22 is in VES B with a CO2 emission of 134 g/Km while the 420i Gran Coupe is rated in VES C1 with a CO2 emission of 169mg/Km. Don’t both cars have exactly the same combustion engine with the same output?

39 minutes ago, cyeogh said:

Another question on VES rating for the 420i Coupe (G22) and the 420i Gran Coupe (G26). The G22 is in VES B with a CO2 emission of 134 g/Km while the 420i Gran Coupe is rated in VES C1 with a CO2 emission of 169mg/Km. Don’t both cars have exactly the same combustion engine with the same output?

Exactly the same engine may not have the same emission one.

Emission is mainly control by ECU one.  2 same engine can have different output power and it is controlled by ECU lor......

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

9 hours ago, cyeogh said:

@Apple-Tree both models have the same power rating of 135 kW. 

Acceleration Profile laa, weight laaa, GB laaa .....

Anw, if in doubt, I actually recognized UK LTA ........SG LTA is no count one....

Like my Kia Carens is 127g/km in UK LTA and 135g/km in SG LTA.  UK version got START/STOP wor ...... Mine don't have.

Kia ownself say 127g/km..... 

22 hours ago, cyeogh said:

My understanding is that LTA relies on CO2 emissions to determine the VES? 
Was looking at both the VES bandings for the BMW 330e and the 530e. Both have similar ICE engines (B48), yet the 530e is VES B while the 330e is C1 and subjected to $15,000 surcharge. The 530e emits 105 g/Km of CO2 (as published by LTA in the Cost of Registered Cars, Dec 2021). The 330e was categorised in A2 in June 2020 however was changed to C1 which means that to CO2 emissions is above 160 g/Km. 
I’m puzzled as to the variance of CO2 emissions on similar ICE platforms in the 330e and the 530e. 

There can be a lot of factors. It also has to depend on which homologation standard BMW Asia is using to homologate with LTA on behalf of PML. For example, if BMW Asia uses NEDC for 530e, then its a less stringent standard thus its a Band B. For the 330e, it could be using the newer but more stringent WLTP standard, thus its a Band C1. LTA accepts both NEDC / WLTP /JC08 for now. It's until 1st Jan 2024 then they will go WLTP / JC08 only. 

The OE tires which came with the car will also affect its VES Banding (especially if based on NEDC standards). So if it has a Class A tire with lower rolling resistance from factory, the 530e can be Band B and the 330e a Band C1 if it's equipped with a sportier but higher rolling resistance Class B tire. 

Last but not least, CO2 is not the only pollutant deciding the final VES banding. There are CO2, HC, CO, NOx and PM. LTA will take the worst performing Band from any of these pollutants as the final VES. Example,

CO2, HC, CO, NOX - Falls within threshold of Band A2 

PM - Falls within Band B

Your car will still be Band B. 

Edited by Lethalstrike
  • Praise 5

@Lethalstrike thanks, very helpful. Still difficult to comprehend how BMW can have variants in the same series with similar engines and different VES ratings which affects the selling price of the vehicles.  

• Praise 1

7 hours ago, cyeogh said:

@Lethalstrike thanks, very helpful. Still difficult to comprehend how BMW can have variants in the same series with similar engines and different VES ratings which affects the selling price of the vehicles.  

Aiya ...... whatever, when you buy this type car, aiya ....... 10....20...30K is like a drop of water in a pond ler ....

U all heard of the OCBC Scam ...... ya ....

This softer VES Scam never hear so often hor ..... Anw, it only affect BB cars ..... I think is Mazda and Toyota ...... Everybody signed PA that time it is VES B ......by the time register Car.  The car become VES A1 wor ........ lugi 10K ...... worst part I think Scrapped Value affect lor....... Happened during the chaotic start of VES ....

New car owner CFCM ........ poor thing....

Just 1 statement,''Never Question LTA or NEA'' on these Matters....My brand New P.I. Camry Hybrid went for 2 LTA Inspections because it failed the 1st one...& no answer was given,just said Emission Failed...that all.

Edited by ER-3682
  • Shocked 1

On 1/16/2022 at 1:22 PM, Apple-Tree said:

Exactly the same engine may not have the same emission one.

Emission is mainly control by ECU one.  2 same engine can have different output power and it is controlled by ECU lor......

Also the tires spec plays a part. The larger size width of the wheels . 

once the car is specs with 16” and upgraded later outside don’t matter much 

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, Sdf4786k said:

Also the tires spec plays a part. The larger size width of the wheels . 
once the car is specs with 16” and upgraded later outside don’t matter much 

Not the width. Rather increase in weight of rim + tyre.

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1