17 year old learned how to drive a car by watching YouTube and rent from TribeCar using Dad's name

BabyBlade

Internal Moderator

SINGAPORE: A 17-year-old boy learned how to drive on YouTube and illegally used his father's name to rent cars on a car-sharing service.

The teenager, who is now 19, pleaded guilty on Monday (Jan 17) to a charge each of cheating by personation and underage driving. Another two charges will be taken into consideration for sentencing.

The court heard that the teenager applied for a Tribecar account in his father's name around Sep 24, 2020. He submitted his father's particulars and uploaded photos of his NRIC and driving licence.

The application was successful and the teen gained access to a Tribecar account in the name of his father, a 56-year-old man.

Between Sep 24, 2020 and Oct 7, 2020, the teenager rented cars using his father's account on eight occasions and paid for the rentals himself. He usually drove the cars in the early mornings - between 12am and 8am.

On the morning of Oct 7, 2020, he was ferrying two passengers in his car when he was stopped at a police road block along the Central Expressway and asked for his licence.

The two passengers did not know that he was only 17 and did not have a valid licence. The legal age to apply for a driving licence in Singapore is 18.

The teen was arrested on suspicion of cheating offences and crimes under the Road Traffic Act. 

He admitted to driving the rented vehicles on all eight occasions, despite being underage. He added that he had learnt his driving skills on YouTube.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/singapore/teenager-singapore-learned-drive-youtube-and-illegally-used-fathers-name-rent-cars-2440286

That's the thing with automatic transmission cars, anyone can watch a tutorial on YouTube and then learn to drive by themselves. I would imagine it'll be a lot more challenging to drive a manual just by watching a video. 

Impressive that he didn't butcher the car while parking though. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5
  • Haha! 3

Could he be the only teen who did that here?

There could be more, just lucky didnt get caught.

When I was in NS a few guys who have no driver's license sneak out to go zouk using their dad's car.

Edited by Watwheels

1 hour ago, Vid said:

One can learn ANYTHING from Youtube

As everyone knows I am LAME

Licenced Asian Massage Expert

but I am now learning European massage techniques from Youtube

to upgrade myself.

:D 

20 minutes ago, Jamesc said:

As everyone knows I am LAME

Licenced Asian Massage Expert

but I am now learning European massage techniques from Youtube

to upgrade myself.

I'm signing up now.

• Haha! 1

18 minutes ago, Jamesc said:

I only take bookings from good looking young Asian ladies.

There's this thing calls business diversification.😁Cast a wider net and catch more (types of) fish!😁

• Haha! 1

26 minutes ago, Jamesc said:

Oh then may be I rather do the massaging, I'm good at it. I can do it as weekend part-time job.

• Haha! 1

1 hour ago, DOBIEMKZ said:

There's this thing calls business diversification.😁Cast a wider net and catch more (types of) fish!😁

51 minutes ago, DOBIEMKZ said:

Oh then may be I rather do the massaging, I'm good at it. I can do it as weekend part-time job.

My research team has identified a very profitable unserviced market.

Men who are willing to pay big money to be serviced by good looking young men with that special touch.

We call this niche the G Market.

Since you are good at massaging maybe you want to give it a try?

Monthly income 10k minimum.

I am very inspired by the 17 year old learned how to drive a car by watching YouTube

that I am watching Youtube training to be an Osteopath.

I just love the sound of cracking people up

and I think my customers will love it.

Edited by Jamesc
  • Haha! 1

If any ladies want good Thai massage with loud cracking I am taking bookings and I can crack you up.

I have watched many videos on Youtube and so far only one customer the cracking went wrong so I have a very good safety record.

• Shocked 1

One day when I have watched enough videos I will be offering this kind of special service.

Edited by Jamesc
  • Haha! 1

These days, most cars are auto. If it is a manual, majority wouldn't even get the car going without mastering the clutch biting point and acceleration. 😁 But if this young man is indeed driving a manual transmission. Salute him really. 😁

Edited by Heartbreakid

Internal Moderator

His action is not commendable, but his tenacity is.

If he applies his curosity and willingness on other stuff, i am sure he will be a great man.

hahah. I also watch alot of heel toe video on youtube.

• Praise 2

10 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said:

His action is not commendable, but his tenacity is.

If he applies his curosity and willingness on other stuff, i am sure he will be a great man.

hahah. I also watch alot of heel toe video on youtube.

Heal Toe expert now?

• Haha! 1

11 hours ago, Jamesc said:

i comprain to MOM (gender discrimination) ........ and oso your MIL hor  😂

Edited by BanCoe
↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1