Hong Kong orders culling of 2,000 hamsters after COVID-19 was traced to a pet store

BabyBlade

Internal Moderator

Owners show up to sacrifice pet hamsters

Those who bought hamsters after Dec. 22, 2021 were also asked to turn their pets in for authorities to cull.

However, the director of AFCD Leung Siu-fai said that this was an "administrative decision", and failing to comply will not result in legal consequences.

According to SCMP, he also urged pet owners to "observe strict hygiene" when handling their pets and cages, and to avoid kissing them or abandoning them on the streets.

Following the directive, hamster owners in Hong Kong have started showing up at government facilities to sacrifice their pet hamsters, reported SCMP.

The owners were made to sign an agreement with the authorities after dropping their hamsters off.

Signing the document waives the owners' right to ask about their animals moving forward, and to any compensation, according to SCMP.

OH CRAPPP

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

2 minutes ago, Voodooman said:

You should add culling of millions of birds (chickens) and pigs during  Avian and swine flu episodes and noone protested.

Haha... At least those actions successfully kept the diseases at bay, this hamster thingy is a bit more iffy. I think HK is chasing a ghost. Zero Covid is untenable.  China will probably reverse its policy after Emperor Xi's enthronement party this year and HK will end up looking more and more like a lamb. 

U are exactly right on the chickens and pigs. In the face of health care this 2000 hamster is nothing. Millions of other animals are cull for health related reason.

Chasing zero cov right or wrong i cannot judge. TW and Japan more or less have similar policy . 

I only know compare to sg , at least china and hk got to enjoy some periods of internal fully open up.

While  SG as much as we talk about living with virus, we still struck with 2,5,2,5 for more then 1 years already . 

The truth is i am looking at them with envious, After they take tough action to restrict the spread, they open up very fast. 

• Praise 1

27 minutes ago, Voodooman said:

You should add culling of millions of birds (chickens) and pigs during  Avian and swine flu episodes and noone protested.

Haha... At least those actions successfully kept the diseases at bay, this hamster thingy is a bit more iffy. I think HK is chasing a ghost. Zero Covid is untenable.  China will probably reverse its policy after Emperor Xi's enthronement party this year and HK will end up looking more and more like a lamb. 

Cathay sibei jialat 

https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/east-asia/cathay-pacific-offers-5000-bonuses-to-pilots-to-keep-flying

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

20 minutes ago, Beregond said:

U are exactly right on the chickens and pigs. In the face of health care this 2000 hamster is nothing. Millions of other animals are cull for health related reason.

Chasing zero cov right or wrong i cannot judge. TW and Japan more or less have similar policy . 

I only know compare to sg , at least china and hk got to enjoy some periods of internal fully open up.

While  SG as much as we talk about living with virus, we still struck with 2,5,2,5 for more then 1 years already . 

The truth is i am looking at them with envious, After they take tough action to restrict the spread, they open up very fast. 

We had a period of time where 8 pax can dine out.

Did you forget about that?
Not forgetting we are allowed to travel under VTL now.

No way you can travel overseas without Quarantine if you are staying in Greater China.

• Praise 4

8 hours ago, happy_man said:

ONLY 2000 ? This is kacang puteh leh !  Denmark killed over 17+ 4 million minks in last 2 years over COVID fear. I am sure some MCFers animal lovers cried foul over it....😜

ST (May 2021) Denmark Killed 4 million mink to curb Covid-19

https://www.straitstimes.com/world/europe/denmark-incinerates-4-million-mink-culled-to-curb-covid-19-mutations

_115239164_85fc362d-d39f-43ce-ae11-d4480

RIP my friends...

• Haha! 1

16 minutes ago, Didu said:

It used to be frozen food, now it's hamster. Tomorrow dunno what. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSHxYhGxANmgmBHFdDfUxF

Is like that when the authorities dun knoe the actual root cause..just anyhow whack a poor hapless subject who cant argue to save its life..by doing this they keep media off their back and can at the same time distract the general public..hoodwink them into thinking the gahmen is taking action..

This is called 声东击西..

Edited by Kyrios
  • Praise 2
  • Haha! 2

3 hours ago, Beregond said:

We can agree to disagree but i don't envy them.  HK may soon need to lock everyone up and feed them like what China did for their infected cities. 

Anyway, unlike HK, we have no hinterlands and noone is going to feed us, so your point is moot.

• Praise 3

Internal Moderator
12 hours ago, Beregond said:

Grass is always greener on the other side. How many people in Hong Kong wanna be on our side of the grass? Other than the current 5 pax rule, which many are already breaking, are we suffering? We were doing very much OK till game changer Delta. Would I rather be in HK? Nah. 

If I had a restart button and can choose where to live during this pandemic, Singapore please, thank you very much. 

• Praise 4

Turbocharged
9 hours ago, Voodooman said:

We can agree to disagree but i don't envy them.  HK may soon need to lock everyone up and feed them like what China did for their infected cities. 

Anyway, unlike HK, we have no hinterlands and noone is going to feed us, so your point is moot.

carrie lam's wish come true lor. to finally be "accepted"

• Haha! 3

On 1/20/2022 at 8:22 AM, Etnt said:

carrie lam's wish come true lor. to finally be "accepted"

I hope her people will be behind her when she starts to impose China style Covid measures (not being allowed to go out for weeks, even for food and groceries, except for Covid testing).

It is ok to impose draconian measures if people can see light at the end of the tunnel, I am just not sure if Omicron can be stopped.

Watch this, he is laughing his ass off on HK culling of the hamsters. Quite funny on hamsters not having much of a social life. 

• Haha! 2

Supercharged

Another way to loose voters by culling their beloved pets.  😁

Hong Kong warns of worsening COVID-19 outbreak as leader defends hamster cull

Hong Kong leader Carrie Lam on Saturday (Jan 22) warned that COVID-19 infections could be growing exponentially in a congested residential area of the city and that overall cases had also spread due to an outbreak in pet hamsters.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/asia/covid-19-hong-kong-infections-surge-hamster-cull-2452956

Omicron: residents locked down in Hong Kong public housing estate complain of pay cuts, job loss and forced unpaid leave

• Over 100 residents at Kwai Chung Estate have been locked down for days due to an escalating coronavirus outbreak
  • Federation of Trade Unions lawmaker Michael Luk says organisation has received more than 100 complaints about reduced salaries or annual leave

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/hong-kong-economy/article/3165007/omicron-residents-locked-down-hong-kong-public

“My boss immediately fired me when I told her my home might be locked down soon.”

• Angry 1
  • Shocked 1

27 minutes ago, happy_man said:

SCMP - HK study confirms world’s first known hamster-to-human coronavirus transmissions 😝

The study was conducted by a team of medical scientists with the University of Hong Kong after the government and health experts announced the unprecedented suspected hamster-to-human transmissions at the Little Boss pet shop in Causeway Bay about 10 days ago.

On January 16, a Little Boss employee was found to be infected with the highly contagious Delta variant, and hamsters at the shop and its warehouse in Tai Po were found to be carrying the coronavirus.

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/health-environment/article/3165233/hong-kong-study-confirms-worlds-first-known

Hamsters got covid. Human got covid. Conclusion hamsters infected human. 

Or human infected poor hamsters. Dead hamsters can't talk. 

• Haha! 5

On 1/19/2022 at 1:49 PM, happy_man said:

Humans had always been unhygienic creatures dirty - Have you seen any one them licking their assh0le after sh!tting ? 😜

if i could reach that far, id be sucking myself... then i'll truly be a happy man... lol

• Haha! 3

On 1/19/2022 at 1:53 PM, happy_man said:

Nothing new lah even in 21st century...We already seen the outcome in last 2 years in some "developed" countries.

2G9K1EH.2e16d0ba.fill-1200x630.jpg

the racism has always been there.. it never went away after all these years.. just takes something to bring it out.. like saying kung flu and china virus. there are untold reports of asian attacks all over the world. people in sgp just dont know it

• Angry 1

7 hours ago, happy_man said:

SCMP - HK study confirms world’s first known hamster-to-human coronavirus transmissions 😝

The study was conducted by a team of medical scientists with the University of Hong Kong after the government and health experts announced the unprecedented suspected hamster-to-human transmissions at the Little Boss pet shop in Causeway Bay about 10 days ago.

On January 16, a Little Boss employee was found to be infected with the highly contagious Delta variant, and hamsters at the shop and its warehouse in Tai Po were found to be carrying the coronavirus.

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/health-environment/article/3165233/hong-kong-study-confirms-worlds-first-known

Take note that this article has not been peer reviewed 

Edited by inlinesix

9 hours ago, Volvobrick said:

Or human infected poor hamsters. Dead hamsters can't talk. 

I understand live hamsters oso cannot talk de leh... 

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 5