Porsche Taycan Turbo S Revealed As New Formula E Safety Car

kobayashiGT

Internal Moderator

porsche-taycan-turbo-s-formula-e-safety-

Source: https://www.motor1.com/news/561563/taycan-formula-e-safety-car/

Formula E’s eighth season kicks off next week, and it’ll look a tad different when it does. The all-electric racing series will add a new safety car to the lineup – the all-electric Porsche Taycan Turbo S. The car will debut at the double-header contest in Diriyah, Saudi Arabia.

“With the Taycan Turbo S as the official safety car, we’re making an important contribution to track safety and also underlining the importance of Formula E for Porsche Motorsport,” said Thomas Laudenbach, vice president of Porsche Motorsport.

Porsche modified the electric sedan with all the necessary safety car kit to make it race legal – roll cage, fire extinguisher, bucket racing seats, and six-point harnesses. The car also received flashing lights integrated into the bumpers, wiring harnesses for the safety car lighting, and a Marelli Logger System. Inside, other noticeable changes include the row of switches on the center console and the enticing red button on the steering wheel.

The Turbo S should have no trouble keeping up with the race cars on the track. The Taycan produces 750 horsepower (560 kilowatts), allowing it to hit 62 miles per hour (100 kilometers per hour) in 2.8 seconds with launch control. It has a top speed of 161 mph (260 kph), which is just 12 mph (20 kph) less than the Gen 2 Formula E race cars.

The new Taycan Turbo S safety car also wears a unique livery that’s more than an attractive design. All 11 teams are represented in the paintwork, including the FIA and Formula E. 

The Porsche Taycan joins BMW in supplying the series with safety cars. BMW offered the i8 Coupe and Roadster, followed by a modified Mini. The three will be at various Formula E races around the world, including London, New York City, Seoul, Mexico City, and more, for the upcoming season.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5

Internal Moderator
3 hours ago, Arogab said:

@kobayashiGT, Sorry for my ignorance yah. Taycan should be an all electric car. How to label it Turbo??

Next generation power ranger lah.

1400x1400sr.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

This 5 people make sense with turbo? No right?

So Taycan Turbo is okay one! 🤣

• Haha! 1

1 hour ago, kobayashiGT said:

Next generation power ranger lah.

1400x1400sr.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

This 5 people make sense with turbo? No right?

So Taycan Turbo is okay one! 🤣

Wah Lan eh

• Haha! 1

Internal Moderator
8 minutes ago, Arogab said:

Wah Lan eh

My childhood very colorful one hor. hahaha

got red , got blue, got green, got yellow and got pink. 😂

Only now, old like. . . got nobody. 🤣🤣🤣

5 hours ago, Arogab said:

@kobayashiGT, Sorry for my ignorance yah. Taycan should be an all electric car. How to label it Turbo??

911 all turbo.

Still got turbo and turbo S

🤭

Edited by inlinesix
  • Haha! 4

43 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

911 all turbo.

Still got turbo and turbo S

🤭

33 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said:

911 different. hahaha. 911 really got turbo.

997-2-turbo-s-vtg-main.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Yah lor, I wonder Taycan got this snail inside to stomach or not😂

• Haha! 2

Internal Moderator
7 minutes ago, Arogab said:

taycan is a speedy gonzales liao.

• Haha! 1

9 minutes ago, Arogab said:

the turbo is a badge ( sound nice nia) in actual fact no turbo inside.😐

• Haha! 2

6 hours ago, Arogab said:

https://www.motor1.com/news/400401/taycan-turbo-name-fake-engine-noise/#:~:text=The Porsche Taycan arrived last,automaker's first all-electric vehicle.&text=That may seem strange%2C but,a model's top performance trim.

"....It's no secret the Taycan lacks a conventional internal combustion engine. That's the point of the whole dang car; however, Porsche still decided to affix the Turbo badge to the name even though the Taycan lacks a turbocharger. That may seem strange, but to Porsche, the Turbo name is more than a representation of the car's forced induction. Instead, the Turbo name is given to a model's top performance trim. Porsche believes the peppier Taycan deserves the Turbo moniker...."

• Praise 1

41 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said:

taycan is a speedy gonzales liao.

40 minutes ago, Beregond said:

the turbo is a badge ( sound nice nia) in actual fact no turbo inside.😐

37 minutes ago, DOBIEMKZ said:

https://www.motor1.com/news/400401/taycan-turbo-name-fake-engine-noise/#:~:text=The Porsche Taycan arrived last,automaker's first all-electric vehicle.&text=That may seem strange%2C but,a model's top performance trim.

"....It's no secret the Taycan lacks a conventional internal combustion engine. That's the point of the whole dang car; however, Porsche still decided to affix the Turbo badge to the name even though the Taycan lacks a turbocharger. That may seem strange, but to Porsche, the Turbo name is more than a representation of the car's forced induction. Instead, the Turbo name is given to a model's top performance trim. Porsche believes the peppier Taycan deserves the Turbo moniker...."

Ahh....Ok, Now I know, I "sua gu"......

• Haha! 4

9 minutes ago, Arogab said:

Ahh....Ok, Now I know, I "sua gu"......

I also sua gu too, wondering about the Turbo moniker on an EV. I initially thought it is an additional ultra high-voltage DC motor on that car! :D

Edited by DOBIEMKZ
  • Haha! 1

I know I'm rather late to the party but, damn, is that a cool livery or what?! It's gonna give the actual race cars a run for their money. Petitioning to start a safety car racing series! 🤣

On 1/19/2022 at 10:41 AM, Arogab said:

Because Porsche "Turbo", like BMW "M" (and maybe even Merc "AMG") has sadly become a marketing term. 

But Porsche's is the most outlandishly misleading crap. Totally no shame. 😂

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1