Road to red restaurants/hawkers list, Singapore version?

Wind30

I am watching the Netflix road to red restaurants and I am wondering do you guys know of any such places in Singapore?

not necessary had to be dying or closing down but places with many many years of history 30+ years.

I am interested in trying out.

my contributions,

whampao market curry rice, morning only. 
nanbantei at Scott’s road. This one prob doing well as opened a branch at Chinatown recently…

↡ Advertisement

(edited)
43 minutes ago, Etnt said:

Go chinatown market, many have been there for ages, since roadside till later shift to the market.

So many stalls there, must be like hundreds. I seldom eat there though, totally unfamiliar with it. Looking for more like unpublicised places without online reviews.

Edited by Wind30

Huh?? Every now and then there are news that will tell the public what food store/restaurant is closing for good cos of the pandemic or the owners old age. One is the recent one in tiong bahru. Aiya, nevermind forget what I have said.

• Praise 1

Albert Centre. The cha siew fan stall facing Queens Street. IIRC stall name is 仕记! They were from the street and then relocated into the HC. Their rice are steamed in individual bowls. I don't know whether they changed or not as I have not patronised the stall for a very long time.

• Praise 2

Whampoa got so many stalls that are more than 30 years liao. I grew up eating there.

1. The corner soya and green grass jelly stall.

2. Char siew roast duck stall, my regular stall.

3. Chinese style Nasi Lemak stall, my regular stall.

4. Singapore hokkien mee.

5. Satay bee hoon.

6. Fish soup.

7. Rojak (famous) and rojak (not famous, operated by elderly couple).

8. BBQ chicken wings, crabs and cockles stall.

9. Dessert stall near the fish soup.

10. Braised duck.

11. Fried Carrot cake.

12. Fish head steamboat.

13. Sugarcane drink stall.

They were all started when I patronised them in the early 1980s. From the old Whampoa Food Centre to the temporary Whampoa Food Centre to the "new" current Whampoa Food Centre.

Some of them are already operated mostly by their children. 

Other than the food centre still got the two very very old bakery that makes traditional breads. If you visit such old estates sure to find many many such old food stalls.

• Praise 3

Turbocharged
4 hours ago, Wind30 said:

So many stalls there, must be like hundreds. I seldom eat there though, totally unfamiliar with it. Looking for more like unpublicised places without online reviews.

One combi there for morning breakkie is tian tian porridge + duo ji ccf.

They have been from street side till inside market and in close proximity to each other.

Tian tian is one of the few porridges that still use shen chang (fallopian tube). Duo Ji is famous for their sweet sauce (much like bt timah market one) and scissors cutting of the ccf.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged
11 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

Not easy to have unpublicised stalls nowadays in singapore. Even for heartland estates, u can see google reviews. 

actually most reviews are of fancy newer stalls, some of the oldie (but goodie) need to follow the crowd of old folks to see where they are queueing.

7 hours ago, Wind30 said:

I am watching the Netflix road to red restaurants and I am wondering do you guys know of any such places in Singapore?

not necessary had to be dying or closing down but places with many many years of history 30+ years.

I am interested in trying out.

my contributions,

whampao market curry rice, morning only. 
nanbantei at Scott’s road. This one prob doing well as opened a branch at Chinatown recently…

Thought you referring to pro China restaurants.... Like HK got yellow pro-democracy shops

Tasty Oyster Omelette By Hawker Who Works Daily Despite Kidney Dialysis Thrice Weekly

He once borrowed money from a loan shark to pay his medical bills.

For Lim Loh Liong, 67, opening his own stall was a matter of necessity rather than choice. “I have to undergo dialysis [for kidney failure] three days a week, he tells 8days.sg.

After being a hawker assistant for about 20 years, Uncle Lim finally set up his own shop in a quiet kopitiam at Kim Keat View in Toa Payoh three months ago. The unnamed stall simply sports a bright yellow menu board with four items in red font: fried oyster, fried carrot cake, fried Hokkien mee and char kway teow.

The kopitiam, Po Si Tan Eating House, sits in a residential estate that we’re told is mostly occupied by the elderly. “We don’t get a lot of foot traffic here. Most of them [the elderly residents] try not to go out much due to the pandemic. There are no offices in the area either,” shares Uncle Lim.

Half the stalls were closed during our visit on a Friday afternoon. “I think some are not coming back,” says Uncle Lim. “I’m not worried because I’m not doing this [running a stall] to earn a lot of money. I earn about $20 a day to make ends meet.” He declined to reveal the stall’s rental cost, but shares that he’s on good terms with the kopitiam owner. Uncle Lim is currently receiving fully subsidised government coverage for his dialysis treatments and medical bills due to his low-income financial situation.

The candid stall owner also shared how he went into debt because of skyrocketing medical bills. “Each dialysis session costs about $3k. I also paid around $300 for medication at every visit. In the end, I borrowed $30k from a loan shark to pay my medical bills.”

Neutral Newbie

For me, discovering these culinary time capsules is part of the magic of travel and exploration. It's not just about the food; it's about the stories and experiences woven into every dish.

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

The Netflix show sounds intriguing! Finding longstanding historical spots like those showcased can be a fantastic way to delve into Singapore's rich culinary heritage. These top experiences often hold treasures of tradition and flavors that stand the test of time.

Your suggestions sound fantastic! Places like Whampoa Market Curry Rice and Nanbantei at Scott’s Road sound like hidden culinary gems, preserving authentic flavors and history. Exploring eateries with 30+ years of heritage is a great way to taste the essence of Singapore's food culture.

Edited by Foxconway
↡ Advertisement