75km-long first phase of Round Island Route opens

zipping

https://www.nparks.gov.sg/gardens-parks-and-nature/park-connector-network/round-island-route

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/singapore/75km-long-first-phase-round-island-route-opens-2452431

75km-long first phase of Round Island Route opens

Changi Bay Point, located along the 75km eastern stretch of the Round Island Route. (Photo: CNA/Jeremy Long)

Vanessa Lim
22 Jan 2022 11:01AM (Updated: 22 Jan 2022 11:46AM)
Bookmark

SINGAPORE: The eastern half of the Round Island Route - an upcoming 150km-long recreational connection which goes around Singapore – is now open, the National Parks Board (NParks) said on Saturday (Jan 22).

Stretching from Rower’s Bay Park in Seletar to Berlayer Creek near Labrador Park, the 75-km long green corridor is the first phase of the Round Island Route.
Advertisement

First announced in 2012, the Round Island Route will be the longest recreational connection that loops the island when completed. It is also part of NParks’ overall plans to curate a 360km islandwide network of recreational routes, consisting of eight different trails, by 2035.

The route will connect existing natural, cultural, historical and recreational sites, as well as provide opportunities for recreational activities including cycling, walking and skating.

“This will expand and enhance connectivity across Singapore and provide opportunities for the community to explore our parks and nature areas, as well as walk or cycle in natural spaces,” said NParks.

To commemorate the opening of the park connector on Saturday, Deputy Prime Minister and Coordinating Minister for Economic Policies Heng Swee Keat, together with Second Minister for National Development and Finance Indranee Rajah, and Advisor for East Coast GRC, Dr Maliki Osman, visited the new park connector and planted saplings of two native coastal plants.

The eastern stretch boasts several features including marine tiles along the coast which provides habitats for marine life.
Advertisement

With a combination of crevices, grooves and pits, the tiles are ideal for supporting marine life, such as crabs, snails and starfish, allowing marine biodiversity to thrive.

Besides this, visitors to the eastern stretch can also look forward to scenic boardwalks along the coast and look out points at Changi Bay Point and Sengkang Riverside Park.

Around 5,100 trees and shrubs have been planted along the Round Island Route eastern stretch to provide visitors with shade and respite from the heat, as well as provide food and shelter for native biodiversity. These include native coastal and riverine tree species, such as penaga laut and small-leaved nutmeg.

There are also rest stops along the way, with nodes at Changi Bay Point, Sengkang Riverside Park and Jalan Kayu. These nodes will come with shelters with solar-powered charging points, bicycle parking lots and toilets.

The eastern half was initially scheduled to be completed by 2021, however, factors including weather conditions and disruptions due to COVID-19 caused delays, said NParks.

map_of_the_round_island_route.jpg.3c55879f0e4111af1fded2cefaad9554.jpg

Edited by zipping
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 8

Wonderful news. Now cyclists have yet another expensive, custom-built place to avoid so they can achieve their real goal of irritating drivers on the roads during peak hours. 😁

• Haha! 16

22 minutes ago, Turboflat4 said:

Wonderful news. Now cyclists have yet another expensive, custom-built place to avoid so they can achieve their real goal of irritating drivers on the roads during peak hours. 😁

No indication that the route covers cycling on expressways. Guess this route is for recreational cyclists n not tour de france wannabe leotards....

Edited by Soya
  • Praise 2
  • Haha! 2

22 minutes ago, Turboflat4 said:

2 minutes ago, Soya said:

Not indication that the route covers cycling on expressways. Guess think this route is for recreational cyclists n not tour de france wannabe leotards....

Other than TMCR, the rest is PCN

😂

Edited by inlinesix
  • Sad 1
  • Haha! 2

Passed by it last week ...... was cordoned off ..... must have just opened now .... looks interesting ..... i guess its just for liesure biking as there dont seem to be dividing lines ..... 

• Praise 1

Covered a section of the Round Island Route this morning. It connects the end of Pasir Ris Park to Pasir Ris Farmway, I think. The stretch is about 0.5+ km.

Edited by Fitvip
  • Praise 1

This morning rode there but half way got lost! whahahahahaha..

Overall a nice place to ride as it is very wide for the new path.. those older one very narrow. Do take note certain stretch no light or very dim (was there abt 6am)

The only thing i find need improvement is the stretch highlighted below. Too narrow to handle the volume of cyclist.. 

BTW TMCR got road works.

3D8193AD-E6AA-4E34-B5C3-503B05A3924C.jpeg

Edited by Ody_2004
  • Praise 6

21 hours ago, 13177 said:

Good news for cylists. 😁

Those cyclists only like to cycle on the road..

They don't even use the PCN.

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

1 hour ago, Ody_2004 said:

This morning rode there but half way got lost! whahahahahaha..

Overall a nice place to ride as it is very wide for the new path.. those older one very narrow. Do take note certain stretch no light or very dim (was there abt 6am)

The only thing i find need improvement is the stretch highlighted below. Too narrow to handle the volume of cyclist.. 

BTW TMCR got road works.

3D8193AD-E6AA-4E34-B5C3-503B05A3924C.jpeg

You got lost to where sia? Lol.

No light or light is dim on certain stretch? This one no good liao. They spend so long building this island route but why no light? 😅

• Haha! 2

14 minutes ago, 13177 said:

You got lost to where sia? Lol.

No light or light is dim on certain stretch? This one no good liao. They spend so long building this island route but why no light? 😅

lost at Changi Village area... cannot find the PCN towards Pungol! whahahahahhaha..

So i hit the road which i familiar with.

• Haha! 2

7 minutes ago, Ody_2004 said:

lost at Changi Village area... cannot find the PCN towards Pungol! whahahahahhaha..

So i hit the road which i familiar with.

Must be signage not clear or dont have signage along the route?

5 minutes ago, happy_man said:

Ayoyoo!  Circled part in your map is the famous old Changi footbridge...never meant to handle "volume of cyclist.." !

So in case you are there, do take care of not to run into an elderly sun-tanned Chinese guy fishing along the bank during high tide...I had nightmare since a bunch of cyclists ran into me near that narrow footbridge 😜

304520_rfZZved_7vrzxEmlZJ1Wh52BqLeyuQvIG

Aiya, many cyclists even cycle on a wide road, they can also ran into people walking along the path de, esp if they cycle in a group. 😅

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

I would want to try it out. Time to bring out my old giant. 

One question though, still need to stop for traffic light to cross or is a continous journey?? 

• Praise 3

3 minutes ago, Hamburger said:

One question though, still need to stop for traffic light to cross or is a continous journey?? 

I think you definitely have to cross some traffic lights. Eg at Changi Village to Loyang Ave, and along Tenah Merah there are a few junctions too. 

Edited by Volvobrick
  • Praise 5

25 minutes ago, Hamburger said:

You backside can take it or not?
😂

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 2