Two children found dead at Bukit Timah playground

yishunite

6 hours ago, Lala81 said:

One of my regular pt's wife recently had Covid.
She's 70+, her husband is about 80 with medical conditions and some dementia.
So i asked her if she wants to go those isolation/community treatment facility to prevent spreading to her husband, though i know it's unlikely given her family situation. 

But she revealed that she's the caregiver of her hubby + she has an intellectual disabled son living with her (which I didn't know about).
He's 50. She cooks and minds both of them.
Her words are that she's a ku ming ren. But ultimately she's resilient. 

2 special needs in one family. I can only imagine the stress on the parents. 

In such case, what happens when the parents pass? Cannot be ask some long lost niece and nephew take him in right?

And if alternative care by the state is available, cannot be wait till parents pass then kick in suddenly🤔

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

48 minutes ago, Playtime said:

In such case, what happens when the parents pass? Cannot be ask some long lost niece and nephew take him in right?

And if alternative care by the state is available, cannot be wait till parents pass then kick in suddenly🤔

I heard many years back someone mentioned "we are not a welfare state."

Can't recall the context. 

I think it was similar era on the 600k peanuts. Swiss living .

Definitely was way before the 2011 watershed, tears shedded election.

Edited by Atonchia
  • Praise 2

1 hour ago, Volvobrick said:

100% agreed. Not appropriate to speculate nor keep talking about a family tragedy. We don't gain anything but only prolong the pains. 

This uneventful episode will have lasting effect on immediately family (the wife or any surviving siblings) and extended family. The loss will likely be 3 lives iff father is found guilty.

Unless our laws rescind death penalty.

Edited by Atonchia

42 minutes ago, Atonchia said:

This uneventful episode will have lasting effect on immediately family (the wife or any surviving siblings) and extended family. The loss will likely be 3 lives iff father is found guilty.

If father able to get some help from Buangkok. Still got chance to escape death.

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, Playtime said:

They have another 1-2 kids.

But it's usually common that the parents will take care until they are unfit to do so. I guess is to reduce the burden on their other kids who have their own families. 

I occasionally see a few special need adult patients. Usually living with parents. Maybe some middle aged ones are with siblings, usually sisters. 

• Praise 2

58 minutes ago, Atonchia said:

uneventful? 

34 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

They have another 1-2 kids.

But it's usually common that the parents will take care until they are unfit to do so. I guess is to reduce the burden on their other kids who have their own families. 

I occasionally see a few special need adult patients. Usually living with parents. Maybe some middle aged ones are with siblings, usually sisters. 

In today's hyper competitive and increasingly single child family... don't see how that's gonna work going forward. 

• Sad 1

From experience, it’s the commitment and decision for crafting the future of said individuals that the parents draw the strength to overcome the hopelessness.  The parents have to unequivocally accept the nastiness of the Surprise.

Singapore river by Kallang bridge almost became burial spot. Seriously true.

if the family can terminate, why not paid help?

Fostering farmed care is dangerous, having an regulated assistive network (controlled pricing) is a much better method.

There are many special offspring out there…journalists, editors, police superintendents, senile education officers…

3 hours ago, Tohto said:

If father able to get some help from Buangkok. Still got chance to escape death.

Cannot excuse....He should get Help from IMH before the Killing.

Edited by ER-3682
  • Sad 1

FYI there are SPED schools in Singapore to help kids with special needs. The schools cover a wide range from mild to severe conditions.

https://www.moe.gov.sg/special-educational-needs/sped-schools

If you dont know, kindly dont say dont have.

There are also private schools who can help ADHD kids in the form of OT or occupational therapy to help the kids overcome and cope with their disorder. It also involves the parents so that the parents can understand the condition better and can help the children at home.

There are many venues in sgp that offers help. If the family is well to do I dont think it is so much of a burden to the parents. The father imo is kinda extreme to do this. But if ppl say his mental health is affected cos of staying at home all the time...maybe it got to him. There are many families who are in the same situation or even worst but they are able to cope. I find it rather cold for the father to kill his 11yo twin sons. The question is why?

A possibility I think is he feel ashamed of his sons when they are with his peers or friends. There are some ppl who I have seen living in denial. They have a tough time accepting the reality. But they dont resort to this.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 1

14 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

FYI there are SPED schools in Singapore to help kids with special needs. The schools cover a wide range from mild to severe conditions.

https://www.moe.gov.sg/special-educational-needs/sped-schools

If you dont know, kindly dont say dont have.

There are also private schools who can help ADHD kids in the form of OT or occupational therapy to help the kids overcome and cope with their disorder. It also involves the parents so that the parents can help the children at home.

There are many venues in sgp that offers help. If the family is well to do I dont think it is so much of a burden to the parents. The father imo is kinda extreme to do this. But if ppl say his mental health is affected cos of staying at home all the time...maybe it got to him. There are many families who are in the same situation or even worst but they are able to cope. I find it rather cold for the father to kill his twin sons. The question is why?

i looked at some of the schools. there was no listing of fees.. are they free? the programs look expensive.

• Praise 2

in my opinion there is lack of enough  social/ financial support from the state with regards to this aspect, very often the burden of looking after special needs people be it  children or adults or the elderly lies on the family first.

Govt like to push responsibilities to individuals as far as possible before stepping in with assistance. Most financial assistance rendered is means tested meaning normally lower income will qualify for govt assistance. if your middle income and above, very often financial assistance is almost nil.

The lack of social safety net and welfare system here makes things worse coupled with competitive society plus high cost of living means double whammy for the caregiver.

Very often caregivers can and will be burnt out.

Same thing can be said for looking after elderly with special needs/ terminal /critical illness, govt expects the children of the parent to be the main caregiver but what if the patient has no offspring. When such situations happens, relatives sometimes will wash their hands off such matters.

• Praise 7

Why must the govt be involved?

To what degree should the support be? 

Does labelling being a special person help?

This thing was done before in y2k. Limited returns on investment. Some organizations abit vague and inconsistent on support efficacy.

How about those organization that comes in after the fact to provide support expecting restitution. Why cant they give more than prayers? Why is the community at large not involved? What is the society saying about these people and their families? 

After you die, we pray for you in multifaith. All the bases covered. Ang pow go there hor.

Jalan Besar got passionate expert...

Edited by Datsun366
  • Praise 1

3 hours ago, ER-3682 said:

Cannot excuse....He should get Help from IMH before the Killing.

Not sure what really transpired in this case. But many people didn't know they fell into depression. 

Not many people know they have some form of addiction or OCD.

Not many people know they are avenues that can address their issues. 

But I can tell you.....many civil services or public services also cannot address to rate of issues arises.

So when there is any loss of mental faculty....things can happen.

• Praise 4