Nissan Qashqai, A Driver's Nightmare

J_c_boy

Dear Esteemed Readers,

It is with a heavy heart and a huge dose of disillusionment that I would like to share with you a personal anecdote about the Nissan Qashqai.

Firstly, to be fair, with respect to the road tax- and petrol- saving 1.2 L Qashqai, the first five years of driving had been a breeze.

However, all heel broke loose, merely a day after my Qashqai's 6th birthday last September.

The chronology of my Qashqai's meltdown is as follows (I apologise for any technical typo):

A. Replacement of the faulty

(1) Evaporator Cooling Coil $320 (6 Sep 2021)

(2) Dashbox $280 (6 Sep 2021)

(3) Tow Truck Activation $140 (29 Oct 2021)

(3) Thermostat Housing $270 (30 Oct 2021)

(4) Manifold Gadget $60 (30 Oct 2021)

(5) Fan Motor - Air Con $320 (30 Oct 2021)

B. Dismantling and Assembly Costs in total $470

C. Locked gearbox with inability to shift the gear from Parking to Drive

As recently as last December, it had taken me an average of 5 to 10 minutes to wait for the gearbox to disengage and move off

but the situation dovetailed to a complete lockdown last month in which I have to use a pen to depress the Shift Lock button in every instance of gear shifting.

D. Busted Speakers

The last straw that broke the camel's back occurred yesterday when suddenly, the speakers just blared as loud as a car horn within the car (even at the lowest volume),

the intensity of which still leaves me shell-shocked.

I sincerely hope that the aforementioned sequence of unfortunate events only applies to yours truly

but on a cautious note, I would strongly urge you to re-consider your buying option upon selection of a second-hand Qashqai.

Thank you for reading.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5
  • Shocked 11
  • Haha! 4

Internal Moderator
8 minutes ago, J_c_boy said:

Dear Esteemed Readers,

It is with a heavy heart and a huge dose of disillusionment that I would like to share with you a personal anecdote about the Nissan Qashqai.

Firstly, to be fair, with respect to the road tax- and petrol- saving 1.2 L Qashqai, the first five years of driving had been a breeze.

However, all heel broke loose, merely a day after my Qashqai's 6th birthday last September.

The chronology of my Qashqai's meltdown is as follows (I apologise for any technical typo):

As recently as last December, it had taken me an average of 5 to 10 minutes to wait for the gearbox to disengage and move off

but the situation dovetailed to a complete lockdown last month in which I have to use a pen to depress the Shift Lock button in every instance of gear shifting.

D. Busted Speakers

The last straw that broke the camel's back occurred yesterday when suddenly, the speakers just blared as loud as a car horn within the car (even at the lowest volume),

I sincerely hope that the aforementioned sequence of unfortunate events only applies to yours truly

but on a cautious note, I would strongly urge you to re-consider your buying option upon selection of a second-hand Qashqai.

Thank you for reading. 

Hi @J_c_boy so sorry to hear about your recent mishaps.

But I dun think all blame should be pointed at Nissan.

No car manufacturer made a car last forever these days anymore. There are bound to be bolts and nuts inside the car that are meant for us to get it fixed.

things like evaporator cooling coil, fan motor, manifold gasket wear and tear parts. So cannot really expect it to last forever.

For speaker-wise, then I sympathise with your situation. My father used to drive a Suzuki van for 20 years. The stereo is as good as day one when we had it.

Let us know if you need recommendations of workshops for your car!

• Praise 6
  • Haha! 1

Sorry to hear that so many problems poped up within like 4 months.

I totally understand your frustration. But maybe to help you feel a little better, my previous Citroen DS4 have almost the same frequency and number of faults that appear.

The key difference is that my cost of repairs are far costlier.. well into 4 digit each time it goes workshop. In summary, my repairs in 1 year can go up to 15K, including gearbox.

So ya, perhaps, best to stick with a Jap/Korean car, still far lesser risk in terms of $ when anything breaks.

• Praise 3
  • Haha! 1

33 minutes ago, J_c_boy said:

Dear Esteemed Readers,

D. Busted Speakers

Thank you for reading.

You sold it?

37 minutes ago, J_c_boy said:

Dear Esteemed Readers,

D. Busted Speakers

Thank you for reading.

Its part and parcel of owning a france car. esp the 1.2t😅

• Haha! 2

@J_c_boy 

what @kobayashiGT said is absolutely true, nowadays cannot expect a car to last a lifetime with no issues ..

but having said that, that so many things happen suddenly within such a short period of time, if it was james i would have said that a suspicious mind would have thought that someone - i dont know like an annoying mil for example - sabotaged your car ..

oh wait .. how is your relationship with your mil? 😧

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 3

even those million dollar kereta also got many problems

nowadays they no longer build to last anymore 

sad but true cos we no longer pass it to next generation

that's why coe 10 years lifespan only

not that they wanna milk us 

Is bcos gov foreseen newer technology dun last 

increase tax and coe is to help us to refrain from buying 

🤑🤑🤑

• Sad 1
  • Haha! 2

1 hour ago, Beregond said:

Even their submarines also Aussies don't want. What can be said of their cars/engines? 

• Haha! 9

1 minute ago, Volvobrick said:

Even their submarines also Aussies don't want. What can be said of their cars/engines? 

if any 1 bellieve this, i got 2 friends that own qashqai. 1.2t and 2.0na.

the real FC of this 2 cars is about the same. because the 1 driving the 1.2t drive it like a f1 car. and the 1 driving the 2.0 na drive it like a altis😆😆

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 4

1 hour ago, J_c_boy said:

Dear Esteemed Readers,

D. Busted Speakers

Thank you for reading.

It's only from the 6th year that things kinda needed more attention, that the first 5 years of ownership was a breeze. 

Frankly, the items listed sounded much like wear n tear. The speakers though, is a very loud surprise as some dun break down at all 😁. Some will just mod these out from day 1 as they like an orchestra in the car. 

What may be a big question mark is what has been really changed/replaced whilst under warranty.

Locked gearbox shifting from P to D. Totally no prior symptoms at all? 

I dun own one hence pardon my ignorance per this model. But some stuff are generic like cooling coil, aircon fan motor etc which are common wear n tear items that comes over time. 

Do find a reliable workshop as the journey ahead will be peppered with more replacement and you may think your ride is the only one to shock your wallet. 

Its your car's 7th year come September.

Prepare your wallet. A good practice to relieve some stress on wallet is preventive maintenance eg please do your servicing on time, oil changes, oil filters, drive car as if its your lover, dun save pennies and end up poorer.

Some items need to part ways, dun use "tapes" and "cable ties" to hold on. 

Welcome to true ownership of cars. After whatever free servicing and under warranty to enjoy free replacement. It starts from one day after the 3 or 5 years. 

Btw, there is a thread on this ride. Lots of good information and some not so good news there too. 

Stay safe 

Cheers 

• Praise 5

1 hour ago, Beregond said:

I tot it’s built in UK ?? 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2
  • Haha! 1