Advice on purchasing COE cars (Z4)

NeverLucky88

11 minutes ago, NeverLucky88 said:

Do you mean it's likely going to be a burden given the trips to workshop? Would that be the same case for any other COE cars? Or is there a bad history with the E89 Z4s?

Hmm to me i'm just trying to strike a balance between needs and wants. I don't wish to burn my paycheck just to "realise my dream". But thank you for your opinion, i appreciate it!

I meant to say when your Z4 is in the workshop, can you live with taking public transport?  Or you have access to another family car, then it is not so painful. 

I really dislike workshop visits, send in the car, then must go and collect after repair is done. At the meantime, need to make alternative arrangement. Hence I will only buy a very high maintenance car if I have 2 cars in the family.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

51 minutes ago, NeverLucky88 said:

I'm 26 this year, no family commitments in the near future. Yup i understand that it's a big expense but i can still afford it responsibly, no need to eat grass after purchasing the car. Thanks for the advice! But seems like the general sensing from the members is that i will spend a fortune in the workshop after getting the car.

Depends on your definition of " spend a fortune "

7 minutes ago, Voodooman said:

I meant to say when your Z4 is in the workshop, can you live with taking public transport?  Or you have access to another family car, then it is not so painful. 

I really dislike workshop visits, send in the car, then must go and collect after repair is done. At the meantime, need to make alternative arrangement. Hence I will only buy a very high maintenance car if I have 2 cars in the family.

Ah okay i see your point. Thanks for sharing your perspective, i think i will be relatively okay with it hahaha. Unless we're talking workshop visits every 2-3 weeks then maybe that's a bigger concern overall...

3 minutes ago, NeverLucky88 said:

Ah okay i see your point. Thanks for sharing your perspective, i think i will be relatively okay with it hahaha. Unless we're talking workshop visits every 2-3 weeks then maybe that's a bigger concern overall...

Also depends on if you are anal. Some feel the need to resurrect the car to almost as brand new and keep it that way. Old cars can bleed you if you do that. 

• Praise 1

8 hours ago, Volvobrick said:

COE cars got badge appeal meh? 

It's not an Italian exotic. 

Agree Jipun old cars will be more reliable than BMW. 

Keep longer and COE car will become a vintage.

12 minutes ago, NeverLucky88 said:

The thing is that workshop faults tend to come altogether. One part break stress out another part etc

9 hours ago, NeverLucky88 said:

Good day everyone,

I'm looking to purchase my first car. Have been driving the family car on and off but now i've decided to buy my own. Been driving for around 4 years now.

I'm currently looking at the BMW E89 Z4, which has a depre of roughly 11k/yr. I have no plans to have kids anytime in the near future and it's a car that i really like. The only concern i have is the road tax for the 6 cyl 23i. At the 15th yr, it amounts to an astounding 2.7k/yr. With that in mind, does it ever make sense to purchase a 2.5l COE car? Or do i just play w it for a few years then sell?

I have also looked at the 2.0l turbo variant (20i), but being a newer model, it costs way more than the 23i (around 14k/yr depre).

If it doesn't make sense to purchase a 2.5l COE car, what other options do i have? I have previously also shortlisted the 320i coupe (underpowered and heavy) and e250 coupe (hearsay FC is below average). Budget is around 80-85k. All suggestions all welcome, thanks in advance!

If $2.7k road tax is astounding to you, better drop the idea lah.   

• Haha! 2

I reckon your family is fairly well to do, no support required from you and in fact you still live with your parents, meals and laundry all covered by home right?

so why not just splash your money on a car which cant even fetch your parents anywhere, correct?

Shiok life man!  

i sell you my hard top cabrio ?  Condition swee swee one. But road tax big big one.

Edited by Throttle2
  • Praise 2

1 hour ago, NeverLucky88 said:

Hahahaha the dark side of the force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural...one of these abilities include making the money in your wallet disappear mysteriously...

Money is one concern. For a 2-seater, make sure it's always a 2nd car. If you get an older one, also make sure it has been regularly serviced for the past 2 years, with papers to prove. Else your car will spend more time at the workshop than on the roads (yes sometimes parts have to wait and it can sit for weeks). If such an unfortunate thing happens, you'd prolly get sick of it and start to wonder how much more stuff will keep falling apart. 😑

2 hours ago, NeverLucky88 said:

Do you mean it's likely going to be a burden given the trips to workshop? Would that be the same case for any other COE cars? Or is there a bad history with the E89 Z4s?

Hmm to me i'm just trying to strike a balance between needs and wants. I don't wish to burn my paycheck just to "realise my dream". But thank you for your opinion, i appreciate it!

U may want to consider smaller engine on 1st car. U said for eg that 320i underpowered and heavy. For Sg roads really? U expect to chiong where? Dont mistake critic reviews in ang moh country where they expect to drive 140 kmh. If you realise some of your concerns are unlikely in Sg it opens u to a lot more choice... not every dream has to be hit by your age... maybe save more and get a true dream further down the road ($90k @5% interest compounded can get u a newish porsche in 20 yrs time with zero other outlay)

Edited by yishunite

3 hours ago, Throttle2 said:

I reckon your family is fairly well to do, no support required from you and in fact you still live with your parents, meals and laundry all covered by home right?

so why not just splash your money on a car which cant even fetch your parents anywhere, correct?

Shiok life man!  

i sell you my hard top cabrio ?  Condition swee swee one. But road tax big big one.

Hahahaha just cos i want a sports car doesn't mean i'm born with a silver spoon in my mouth, but i respect your assumptions. Cheers!

3 hours ago, Roborovskii said:

Money is one concern. For a 2-seater, make sure it's always a 2nd car. If you get an older one, also make sure it has been regularly serviced for the past 2 years, with papers to prove. Else your car will spend more time at the workshop than on the roads (yes sometimes parts have to wait and it can sit for weeks). If such an unfortunate thing happens, you'd prolly get sick of it and start to wonder how much more stuff will keep falling apart. 😑

Thanks for the advice, will take them into consideration. Have a great week ahead man!

1 hour ago, yishunite said:

U may want to consider smaller engine on 1st car. U said for eg that 320i underpowered and heavy. For Sg roads really? U expect to chiong where? Dont mistake critic reviews in ang moh country where they expect to drive 140 kmh. If you realise some of your concerns are unlikely in Sg it opens u to a lot more choice... not every dream has to be hit by your age... maybe save more and get a true dream further down the road ($90k @5% interest compounded can get u a newish porsche in 20 yrs time with zero other outlay)

Thanks for providing another perspective, i'll reconsider my options again since i don't need the car urgently. Cheers man!!!

15 hours ago, NeverLucky88 said:

Good day everyone,

I'm looking to purchase my first car. Have been driving the family car on and off but now i've decided to buy my own. Been driving for around 4 years now.

I'm currently looking at the BMW E89 Z4, which has a depre of roughly 11k/yr. I have no plans to have kids anytime in the near future and it's a car that i really like. The only concern i have is the road tax for the 6 cyl 23i. At the 15th yr, it amounts to an astounding 2.7k/yr. With that in mind, does it ever make sense to purchase a 2.5l COE car? Or do i just play w it for a few years then sell?

I have also looked at the 2.0l turbo variant (20i), but being a newer model, it costs way more than the 23i (around 14k/yr depre).

If it doesn't make sense to purchase a 2.5l COE car, what other options do i have? I have previously also shortlisted the 320i coupe (underpowered and heavy) and e250 coupe (hearsay FC is below average). Budget is around 80-85k. All suggestions all welcome, thanks in advance!

There is a 20i at 13k depri at sgcarmart, u can consider that. Lower Road tax (compared with the 2.5) after loading 150%, lower running cost compared with 6cylinders (extra 2 coils, 2 plugs, when full overhaul that's 2 more pistons, piston rings, bearings, conrods etc), and I reckon better fc than the 2.5? All this would make up the difference between 11k depri 2.5 vs 13k depri 2.0 turbo.

↡ Advertisement