Advice on purchasing COE cars (Z4)

NeverLucky88

2 hours ago, Forexter said:

If you have done your math. Go with your heart. You only live once, better drive a car you love.

Old Z4 with hard top, another factor is water seepage because of hardened rubber seals.

Road Tax, petrol consumption, wear & tear repairs to old car, etc.

Hardened rubber seals are an easy fix.

You can buy a bottle of Mercedes Rubber Activating and protection liquid to “revive” the elasticity and softness of the seals especially in those strategic areas.  Repeat application a few times over a few days and it will bring back the life in your rubber. 😂🤣

Edited by Throttle2
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

5 hours ago, awhtc said:

I would save up $80-85k for a property 😄

A car is quite expensive to buy and maintain, and it depreciates a lot.

I wish that I could buy property for $ 80 - 85k . I also wish that I could drive this property around . 

• Haha! 3

17 hours ago, Mkl22 said:

What car was it. Sometimes the brand and model makes a difference. 

It was 2008 Chevrolet Optra Magnum. Solid car but I think it's time to move on although parts availability was not really an issue. 

27 minutes ago, Comage said:

I totally understand what you are saying there, in the first 2 months of me buying a COE car, I was at the workshop every week for repairs. 

Dropped the transmission twice within 4 weeks just to get at various rubber seals that had hardened up one after another, causing engine oil leaks. Each transmission drop involved a complete flush of the AT fluid - my workshop guy has suggested retaining the drained out AT fluid and re-pouring it back, but I said screw it, just change fresh AT fluid for me.

The returning visits got really bad such that I started sourcing for the spare parts myself from stockist, and then bringing the part directly for my workshop guy to install so that I minimize downtime for my COE car. 

buy old car best to just one time send to workshop a week or two let them fix whatever needed one shot. 

1 minute ago, Mockngbrd said:

buy old car best to just one time send to workshop a week or two let them fix whatever needed one shot. 

Yes lesson learnt for me - when taking over a used car, simply get all the possible wear and tear components and do a 1 x replacement with 1 downtime incurred. 

But need to ignore the workshop guy and insist to change out the part - coz sometimes you will see workshops refusing to swap out a part for you simply because they "see nothing wrong with it". 

30 minutes ago, Comage said:

I totally understand what you are saying there, in the first 2 months of me buying a COE car, I was at the workshop every week for repairs. 

Dropped the transmission twice within 4 weeks just to get at various rubber seals that had hardened up one after another, causing engine oil leaks. Each transmission drop involved a complete flush of the AT fluid - my workshop guy has suggested retaining the drained out AT fluid and re-pouring it back, but I said screw it, just change fresh AT fluid for me.

The returning visits got really bad such that I started sourcing for the spare parts myself from stockist, and then bringing the part directly for my workshop guy to install so that I minimize downtime for my COE car. 

What car was that man!

12 minutes ago, shrjun said:

I wish that I could buy property for $ 80 - 85k . I also wish that I could drive this property around . 

He is talking about $80-85k saved that goes into the pot for a property, thats decent. 

5 minutes ago, Mockngbrd said:

26yr old with 80k-85k cash is very huat liao imo

He didnt say he has, he only say he is targetting coe car of that price.

thats why i estimate he will down$30k which is his life savings

5 minutes ago, Throttle2 said:

He didnt say he has, he only say he is targetting coe car of that price.

thats why i estimate he will down$30k which is his life savings

Ok la, 26yr old 30k cash also is also very huat. 

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

13 hours ago, Roborovskii said:

Money is one concern. For a 2-seater, make sure it's always a 2nd car. If you get an older one, also make sure it has been regularly serviced for the past 2 years, with papers to prove. Else your car will spend more time at the workshop than on the roads (yes sometimes parts have to wait and it can sit for weeks). If such an unfortunate thing happens, you'd prolly get sick of it and start to wonder how much more stuff will keep falling apart. 😑

I second that. The 2 seater COE car is for the occasional flash and fun. Keep a more practical car around as your daily driver. 

25 minutes ago, Mockngbrd said:

Ok la, 26yr old 30k cash also is also very huat. 

My first car in SG was a 8 years old Toyota. Paid full cash, $18k but i was older than 26 years old.

Very tough for young people these days after introduction of all the vehicle taxes and COE. Really must pay through the nose just to own a car.

Edited by Voodooman
  • Praise 1

2 seater is really mafan unless it's a 2nd or 3rd car. 

I would luv to have a BMW cabriolet which looks pretty handsome. 

But my ultimate choice would be a Saab cabriolet. 

42 minutes ago, Comage said:

Yes lesson learnt for me - when taking over a used car, simply get all the possible wear and tear components and do a 1 x replacement with 1 downtime incurred. 

But need to ignore the workshop guy and insist to change out the part - coz sometimes you will see workshops refusing to swap out a part for you simply because they "see nothing wrong with it". 

That’s what I did. But no use. Still break and break. Ha!

• Haha! 3

1 hour ago, Comage said:

My first Conti was an 8 years old car, IIRC, howlian lah. Go WS until I shout tolong. Owned it for just 1 year and scraped it early. 

Instead of the car serving me, I was spending time and money on it but no amount of TLC was enough for that bitch. 😂

Need a lot of time, money and patience. I don't know how Mock does it. It must be a hobby to visit WS and fix things up.

• Shocked 1
  • Haha! 3

5 minutes ago, Hamburger said:

2 seater is really mafan unless it's a 2nd or 3rd car. 

I would luv to have a BMW cabriolet which looks pretty handsome. 

But my ultimate choice would be a Saab cabriolet. 

New 4 series looks quite good.  Still retains the control buttons and not full touch screen.  Not too oversize for local carparks.

Old car mai lah!  Unless it is a Quattro or Dino.

• Haha! 1

3 minutes ago, Voodooman said:

My first Conti was an 8 years old car, IIRC, howlian lah. Go WS until I shout tolong. Owned it for just 1 year and scraped it early. 

Instead of the car serving me, I was spending time and money on it but no amount of TLC was enough for that bitch. 😂

Need a lot of time, money and patience. I don't know how Mock does it. It must be a hobby to visit WS and fix things up.

WS boss chio???

• Haha! 3

6 minutes ago, Voodooman said:

Mine was a 15year old conti. Loved the power. But break and break. Always thought that I would spend and fix it right. But then 3mths later something else will break. Really no end. And me being anal, demanded that I couldn’t accept the flaw, so must fix. Oil leaks and seepages drove me crazy.

Bugbear of old Conti’s are oil leaks and seepages. Valve cover, then rear main seal. Then gearbox rear seal, then gearbox front seal, then crankshaft front seal. Knn no end. Then sooner or later will have power steering leaks, rear diff leaks. Oil cooler leaks. Basically everywhere with a rubber seal will leak. 
then next would be electrical gremlins as the wires and connectors get brittle with age and heat. 

Edited by Mkl22
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
  • Shocked 2