Advice on purchasing COE cars (Z4)

NeverLucky88

Back to the topic. My advice to TS is use that 85k to get PARF car instead. Since it is your first car, I assume you don't have much knowledge about car maintenance, buying a COE car will give you big headache. Unless you know the previous owner in person. Otherwise, acculmate some experience for first few years first. 

40 minutes ago, Mkl22 said:

Mine was a 15year old conti. Loved the power. But break and break. Always thought that I would spend and fix it right. But then 3mths later something else will break. Really no end. And me being anal, demanded that I couldn’t accept the flaw, so must fix. Oil leaks and seepages drove me crazy.

Bugbear of old Conti’s are oil leaks and seepages. Valve cover, then rear main seal. Then gearbox rear seal, then gearbox front seal, then crankshaft front seal. Knn no end. Then sooner or later will have power steering leaks, rear diff leaks. Oil cooler leaks. Basically everywhere with a rubber seal will leak. 
then next would be electrical gremlins as the wires and connectors get brittle with age and heat. 

Same here.  I had a 6 year old conti and it was like that.  Gave up n sold it off

• Haha! 1

2 hours ago, Throttle2 said:

What car was that man!

A Toyota... Haha. I was the 3rd owner, and the vehicle had been used as a PHV before me. 

• Shocked 1

1 hour ago, Voodooman said:

My first car in SG was a 8 years old Toyota. Paid full cash, $18k but i was older than 26 years old.

Very tough for young people these days after introduction of all the vehicle taxes and COE. Really must pay through the nose just to own a car.

Very easy actually, Boss:

1. Change and use Chinese tyres costing $50 apiece instead of legit rubber that costs $100-$150 apiece. Tada! 

2. Change to red plate. Tada! 

3. If the above fails, tiap a blue label and go out after dinner every day to grab a few fares before turning in for the night! 

Sure can own a car one! 

My first Conti was an 8 years old car, IIRC, howlian lah. Go WS until I shout tolong. Owned it for just 1 year and scraped it early. 

Instead of the car serving me, I was spending time and money on it but no amount of TLC was enough for that bitch. 😂

Need a lot of time, money and patience. I don't know how Mock does it. It must be a hobby to visit WS and fix things up.

Contrary to popular belief, I don't like going WS also. So most of the time I just leave my car at workshop in the evenings, give him my agar agar budget to work with and tell boss to call me when car is done, I usually won't chase them one. Then I take Bus/MRT/Grab in the meantime. Just buy knowing that things need to be fixed up so when it happens you don't feel much about it. 

tbh, my old BMWs have all been relatively reliable, so I always take what "ppl say" about their "unreliable" BMWs with a pinch of salt. Do they require more maintenance than a regular B&B Japanese/Korean car? Probably, yes. But if you want a car with Camry-like reliability, buy a Camry. If you treat (and drive) a BMW the same as you would a Toyota, don't be surprised if it breaks on you. Toyota (and other B&B) cars are built with a lot of tolerances for abuse by ppl who don't give a shit about cars, BMWs are built with performance and drivability in mind and need to be treated as such vehicles should.

My 318is initially took a while to sort out but after that, all good and I kept it the longest. Still miss that one the most, after all the work put in, it drove super sweeeeet and totally suited how I liked to drive, went through a few suspension variations on that one, Eibach springs with Bilstein shocks, then full Bilstein coilovers, then back to H&R springs with Bilstein shocks. threw in an original BMW LSD for good measure.
I do regret not waiting longer before buying the 318is though cos I could have had the chance to pick up and air-cooled 911 or even an AE86 for not much more $$$ hahahahaha! (This was back in 2009-2010 when no one wanted such old cars)

The E34 "5" was also reliable, only annoying issues I had was with the aircon compressors, replaced it twice during my ownership. Was about to replace the entire prop shaft but the parts never arrived in time before I sold the car off. I also miss driving that one but felt I needed to move on and try other cars.

The other 2 BMWs we had in the household previously, E87 116i and E88 120i Cab both never failed with proper regular maintenance. The 120i was lovely, dropped it on M-tech springs, Koni FSD shocks, 18" BBS Mesh wheels, great drive, just underpowered. Looked nice too IMO. 

My 2002 only 1 time failed to start on me cos of a failed distributor. Otherwise, the car starts every time. But now sitting in workshop in multiple pieces becos hand itchy. 

The only car that I can relate to being a piece of shit is the Alfa 159. Bought and sold fast fast cos I could see what was gonna happen: https://garage36.wordpress.com/2021/04/05/and-so-this-happened/

VW Polo GTi was also bought and sold quickly, could feel the DSG gb giving way. So got rid of it, didn't want to bother with the $$$ involved in fixing up a broken DSG. Otherwise it was a lovely (and surprisingly quick) little thing to drive around. 

The Toyota so far so good. Prob becos it's a Toyota. Lots of fun znng-ing. Now on Tein Coilovers, might throw on a Cusco LSD in future. 

The 944 I never considered it "my" car cos it was bought with the intention to sell it. Took a long time to sort but after that, seemed ok. Just had some problem starting the car again with heat-soak. Need to give it a bit of gas to get it going. Car is currently gone from what I know, through no fault of its own (nor the owner). 

Edited by Mockngbrd
  • Praise 9

1 hour ago, Mkl22 said:

Mine was a 15year old conti. Loved the power. But break and break. Always thought that I would spend and fix it right. But then 3mths later something else will break. Really no end. And me being anal, demanded that I couldn’t accept the flaw, so must fix. Oil leaks and seepages drove me crazy.

Bugbear of old Conti’s are oil leaks and seepages. Valve cover, then rear main seal. Then gearbox rear seal, then gearbox front seal, then crankshaft front seal. Knn no end. Then sooner or later will have power steering leaks, rear diff leaks. Oil cooler leaks. Basically everywhere with a rubber seal will leak. 
then next would be electrical gremlins as the wires and connectors get brittle with age and heat. 

I think many things in life people prefer average performance with no problem than high performance but alot of problem :grin:

• Haha! 2

Internal Moderator

My first car in SG was a 8 years old Toyota. Paid full cash, $18k but i was older than 26 years old.

Very tough for young people these days after introduction of all the vehicle taxes and COE. Really must pay through the nose just to own a car.

Yah. When I bought my accord, I also look at my kidney for awhile.

Lucky lah. Now both my kidney still inside me. 🤣

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

4 minutes ago, Mustank said:

I think many things in life people prefer average performance with no problem than high performance but alot of problem :grin:

No la, in life one must, have been there and done that, then will learn. Else whatever people say, one will always find excuses to brush it off and claim, “ won’t happen to me one la, where got so suay!”🤣

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

I am also surprised to hear people accept a Conti leaking oil and worse still drinking oil and the AD service manager can tell you - its like that lor, accept it.

:D

• Haha! 2

4 hours ago, Mustank said:

Buy Tesla better

move off lumber one. All the sport car tio chiet

charge battery in office carpark :grin:

Reveal hidden contents

Buy escooter bestest 

no coe no road no insurance 

charge battery in office :XD:

I want also leh but hou expensive wor...

1 hour ago, Optramagnum said:

Back to the topic. My advice to TS is use that 85k to get PARF car instead. Since it is your first car, I assume you don't have much knowledge about car maintenance, buying a COE car will give you big headache. Unless you know the previous owner in person. Otherwise, acculmate some experience for first few years first. 

Thanks for the sound advice, will take it into consideration. Cheers man!

5 hours ago, Throttle2 said:

Nope you got it wrong😄

Read again

i never said you were born with a silver spoon.  Far from that. If you were born with a silver spoon , a brand new Z4 would be presented to you. 

Yup shiok life man!

3 hours ago, Throttle2 said:

TS wants his cake and eat it.

26 yrs old, just stepped into the economy, got a decent salary for the first time in his life.

wants to splash it all on a “sports” car to look cool and impress chiobus and peers (what else?)

cant afford $300k cash so go for $30k dp using life savings and instalment the rest.

Understandable lah.

when i was 26yrs old, i also got a “sports”car except it was a 16 yr old Mazda RX7.  Loved that car , man……$24k paid with half my life savings. Sold it for $16k after 18mths. Thankfully hardly any repairs required. But i did bring it to Mazda agent once for a choked fuel line and they said they didnt know how to fix it.  
Bloody jokers.  Classic Singapore for you

Ya lor understandable hor? Hahahaha. Not bad leh rx7

Now xiao mei mei should be smarter, COE Z4 and newer cars they should be able to differentiate unlike last time a Tuscani = Sport car.

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 4