Reverse Problem

Tourdefrance

Occasionally, the car needs to step harder to reverse and there will be a jerk before reversing. Driving forward is smooth. From your experience, could you advise what is the likely problem? I emailed 2 workshops and they quoted S$2k plus to overhaul the gear box. Not sure I want do that as the problem does not happen frequently but I am worried that the car will not reverse at all one day.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

41 minutes ago, Tourdefrance said:

Occasionally, the car needs to step harder to reverse and there will be a jerk before reversing. Driving forward is smooth. From your experience, could you advise what is the likely problem? I emailed 2 workshops and they quoted S$2k plus to overhaul the gear box. Not sure I want do that as the problem does not happen frequently but I am worried that the car will not reverse at all one day.

Mileage on car?  Used or owned from new. 

1 hour ago, Tourdefrance said:

No Head,No Tail,No Brand,No Model,How can People Help You.?

It is not a common issue. Definitely need to overhaul the gb to have a closer look. It could be anything from gear pinion, shift solenoid, transmission valve etc.

17 hours ago, Tourdefrance said:

what brand and model is that ? 2k plus is likely a Japanese car, some european brans might cost slightly more to service. How old is your car? If your car is  more than 6 , 7 year old, it is likely gear box problem, they just have to open the gear box and service it, the car will be back to normal after 3 or 4 days of downtime. 

Need to say which car, which model, age and mileage.

And whether got change gearbox oil regularly or not.

When I scrapped my car, another owner scrapped his 8.5 year old car.

The car was in perfect condition except he never changed gearbox oil for 8.5 years

and the gearbox was gone and he did have the 2-3k to fix it.

:D

Check voltage drop from transmission casing to car chassis - low voltage will affect solenoid operation efficiency resulting in unable to fully lock the correct planetary gear.

Wet gear clutch slip - maybe due to present of foreign particles or weak solenoid

19 hours ago, Tourdefrance said:

see how many more months / years u gonna drive your car. 

the cost to over haul when now , or when it totally cannot move is not much different, maybe extra towing charges .

if dun want spend now, then slowly drag till it stall then repair loh. maybe u can drag till u change new car?

Internal Moderator
21 hours ago, Tourdefrance said:

You wanna share what car make and model you are driving?

A dsg gearbox and a CVT gearbox does have a differences in repair cost.

↡ Advertisement