What Happens to Supercars After 2030-2040?

Soonmunn

Hi all PAP intends to take ICE cars of the roads by 2040 and wants us all to move to EVs.  ATM the move to EV is rather half baked as they have not thought through the infrastructure support for EVs as well as charging stations.  But thats the subject for another tread.

With the move to all EVs in 2040, this implies that at some point they have to stop issuing 10yr COEs probably by 2030.  And 2030 is just 7years away.

As owners of most super cars will renew and extend their COEs, where does that leave ICE supercars in the foreseeable future?  If i were to splash our SGD1mio for a new Ferrari Roma or Aston Martin super, i would want to be able to renew COE on these past 2030 into 2040.  

With the new policies this does not bode well for the future of ICE super car ownership in Singapore.

Whats gona happen to my Aston Martin or Ferreri after 2030 ?

Will their values plummet as we approach these dates?

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1

Your Aston Martin or "Ferreri" (sic)? Is this a real question or a hypothetical? 😂

And that's not a flippant clarification. If the former, buy a house overseas and export the car. Preferably before the COE expires so you get that nice PARF rebate too. Lots of people do exactly this. 

If the latter, well, it doesn't matter. 😁

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 4

TS asking hypothetical questions is it? Almost all of Singapore’s supercars never see out their first COE when owners upgrade to the next new limited edition model and export the car out of country where other there is still strong demand from other less-affluent markets… 

• Praise 2

@Turboflat4 

Its a hypothethical question. I do see many supercars on resell. Many are COE cars but many are parf cars too.

Was wondering if the resell values would fall as we approach 2030 so i might be able to afford one. Tks

40 minutes ago, Turboflat4 said:

Your Aston Martin or "Ferreri" (sic)? Is this a real question or a hypothetical? 😂

And that's not a flippant clarification. If the former, buy a house overseas and export the car. Preferably before the COE expires so you get that nice PARF rebate too. Lots of people do exactly this. 

If the latter, well, it doesn't matter. 😁

@Turboflat4 

1 hour ago, Soonmunn said:

Hi all PAP intends to take ICE cars of the roads by 2040 and wants us all to move to EVs.  ATM the move to EV is rather half baked as they have not thought through the infrastructure support for EVs as well as charging stations.  But thats the subject for another tread.

With the move to all EVs in 2040, this implies that at some point they have to stop issuing 10yr COEs probably by 2030.  And 2030 is just 7years away.

As owners of most super cars will renew and extend their COEs, where does that leave ICE supercars in the foreseeable future?  If i were to splash our SGD1mio for a new Ferrari Roma or Aston Martin super, i would want to be able to renew COE on these past 2030 into 2040.  

With the new policies this does not bode well for the future of ICE super car ownership in Singapore.

Whats gona happen to my Aston Martin or Ferreri after 2030 ?

Will their values plummet as we approach these dates?

2 minutes ago, Soonmunn said:

@Turboflat4 

Its a hypothethical question. I do see many supercars on resell. Many are COE cars but many are parf cars too.

Was wondering if the resell values would fall as we approach 2030 so i might be able to afford one. Tks

@Turboflat4 

Its like cheap Porsches, yes you might be able to afford to buy one, but can you afford to own it?

If resale values of supercars drop (the floor would always be its export value), its because it has become harder and harder to run it and keep it running, perhaps through lack of spare parts or heaven forbid, petrol. 

As a marginal owner, it would be even harder for you to keep such a car running in 2030 as the current crop of supercars have already too much electronics for casual repair and tinkering. 

15 minutes ago, Phang said:

I''ll do home distillation 

$10/L

meet at macritchie car park to deal at 1am

say ah phang introduce you 

homemade-pot-still.jpg

which ah bui? which one? so many ah bui, i duno which one u tokking about...

• Haha! 1

55 minutes ago, Macrosszero said:

Its like cheap Porsches, yes you might be able to afford to buy one, but can you afford to own it?

If resale values of supercars drop (the floor would always be its export value), its because it has become harder and harder to run it and keep it running, perhaps through lack of spare parts or heaven forbid, petrol. 

As a marginal owner, it would be even harder for you to keep such a car running in 2030 as the current crop of supercars have already too much electronics for casual repair and tinkering. 

Thats very true indeed. Its the maintainence and repair and upkeep thats an issue.

I thought about getting an EV, maybe a Taycan but i live in a condo so charging will be an issue....

58 minutes ago, Wildfaye29 said:

How is this even possible?

If PAP is serious about taking ICE cars og our roads by 2040, it implies at some point they have to stop importing new ICE cars and also issuing renewed COEs for existing ICE cars....

If I have so much money, my concerns should be by 2040 will there still be good super car left for me to spend my loose change. 😄😄

Edited by Ct3833

Firstly coe has nothing to do with ev. Every car in SG needs a valid coe. 2ndly, I think the 2040 timeline is sale of new ice cars and will not affect the existing units registered on the road. 

I maybe wrong but I believe you can can renew coe for your ice cars after 2040 till the max of 30years (?) before you need to change it to classic cars scheme. The only concern I can think of is availability of petrol stations in the future. Maybe most current stations will convert to charging stations leaving a couple of petrol filling points? 

• Praise 3

1 hour ago, Lotr said:

@Soonmunn

Where does it say to stop issuing COEs? Garment killing its own cash cow?

No one said PAP will stop COE for all cars. According to their plan they will continue COE for EVs in 2040.

They imply they will end ICE cars by 2040 so that means no more COEs for new ICE or even for renewed COEe for old Ice cars. This is the ambiguos part as i doubt they thought this through thoroughly.

13 minutes ago, Ct3833 said:

If I have so much money, my concerns should be by 2040 will there still be good super car left for me to spend my loose change. 😄😄

Well after 2040 according to PAP plan, all super cars will be EVs like the Taycan....

Unless they make exceptions....????

@Stratovarius ok i was not aware they let us renew COE for existing ice cars. This would be the exception i mentioned above.

But if they did this and everyone renewed COE on old ice cars it would delay their gaol of getting all EVs on our roads.

But i conceed it may come to this because they simply have not addressed the lack of charging stations.  If they cant install enough charging stations they may still need to let us keep the old ice cars.

Once again this is all speculation atm coz as usual PAP did not give enuff details for actual implementation of their plan. They just set a arbitrary date and target and...usually they willl NATO..

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1