What Happens to Supercars After 2030-2040?

Soonmunn

34 minutes ago, yishunite said:

I really fear our kuku saf scholars will do something this stupid.

Make assumptions about efficiency and forget the infrastructure/logistic needs of EV during a war... just like privatized food and vehicle repair

already proven their stupidity when they implemented euro4 diesel for goods vehicle in 2007 when there were not enough vehicles ready to be registered. Resulted in $1 COE.

I know its a long shot, really hope for their stupidity once again so that we can benefit.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

10 minutes ago, Mkl22 said:

already proven their stupidity when they implemented euro4 diesel for goods vehicle in 2007 when there were not enough vehicles ready to be registered. Resulted in $1 COE.

I know its a long shot, really hope for their stupidity once again so that we can benefit.

With the change in VES, they are giving AD 1 year lead time.

That $1 will not happen.

On the other hand, we might see a spike in COE price by 2nd half of 2022

Edited by inlinesix

2 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

With the change in VES, they are giving AD 1 year lead time.

That $1 will not happen.

On the other hand, we might see a spike in COE price by 2nd half of 2022

never say never. else how did $101 and $2 COE happen?

Just now, Mkl22 said:

never say never. else how did $101 and $2 COE happen?

I wish it will happen.  Tesla will be the cheapest 300hp car in Singapore

😂

Internal Moderator
On 2/1/2022 at 2:47 PM, Soonmunn said:

Hi all PAP intends to take ICE cars of the roads by 2040 and wants us all to move to EVs.  ATM the move to EV is rather half baked as they have not thought through the infrastructure support for EVs as well as charging stations.  But thats the subject for another tread.

With the move to all EVs in 2040, this implies that at some point they have to stop issuing 10yr COEs probably by 2030.  And 2030 is just 7years away.

As owners of most super cars will renew and extend their COEs, where does that leave ICE supercars in the foreseeable future?  If i were to splash our SGD1mio for a new Ferrari Roma or Aston Martin super, i would want to be able to renew COE on these past 2030 into 2040.  

With the new policies this does not bode well for the future of ICE super car ownership in Singapore.

Whats gona happen to my Aston Martin or Ferreri after 2030 ?

Will their values plummet as we approach these dates?

After 2040, you probably just have more taxes and pay more for petrol if you want to continue driving ICE. I don't think they can will remove ICE cars completely. Mass market cars will be EV,  but I think super cars will go hybrid. 

• Praise 2

Definitely will have a surge in ICE vehicle prices in the used car market and new car registrations alike as people rush to buy ICE cars just before the 2030 deadline.

I expect COE prices will go even higher than the current prices...

31 minutes ago, Comage said:

Definitely will have a surge in ICE vehicle prices in the used car market and new car registrations alike as people rush to buy ICE cars just before the 2030 deadline.

I expect COE prices will go even higher than the current prices...

Why so. It could be ev prices make more sense. 

14 minutes ago, Mkl22 said:

Why so. It could be ev prices make more sense. 

EV prices making more sense is a possibility in another 7-8 years time, if the govt gets its act together right now.

At the current rate, I don't think it's gonna happen at all. A more likely scenario is that the govt shoves it down our throat and simply closes the gates for ICE new car registrations, which would lead to that scenario that I mentioned before where ICE cars both new/used have a spike in prices and go further north of current prices (Cat A: > $50k+, Cat B: > $80k+).

Infrastructure-aside, the requirements for an EV to need a battery overhaul if the COE is to be renewed, is going to be a major turn-off for many existing car owners...

Edited by Comage

2 minutes ago, Comage said:

EV prices making more sense is a possibility in another 7-8 years time, if the govt gets its act together.

At the current rate, I don't think it's gonna happen at all. A more likely scenario is that the govt shoves it down our throat and simply closes the gates for ICE new car registrations, which would lead to that scenario that I mentioned before where ICE cars both new/used have a spike in prices and go further north of current prices (Cat A: > $50k+, Cat B: > $80k+).

Infrastructure-aside, the requirements for an EV to need a battery overhaul if the COE is to be renewed, is going to be a major turn-off for many existing car owners...

Pure ICE will be out of the market by 2025.

Majority of car owners don’t renew COE

6 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

Pure ICE will be out of the market by 2025.

Majority of car owners don’t renew COE

Where'd the "2025" milestone come from? I thought the target from LTA was 2030?

Anyway, we've been through this before in the other discussion - the slow-chargers taking 6-12hrs for a full charge that HDB is putting into HDB carparks is not going to cut at all. At all.

From the horse's mouth. Pretty absolute statement but I am pretty sure they will allow some of these exotic dinosaurs to survive and continue to roam our streets in return for tax dollars.

The worry is maybe no petrol station to buy petrol or maybe you need to drive to Jurong island to top up. 😂

Singapore aims to phase out Internal Combustion Engine (ICE) vehicles and have all vehicles run on cleaner energy by 2040.

https://www.lta.gov.sg/content/ltagov/en/industry_innovations/technologies/electric_vehicles.html

• Praise 1

3 minutes ago, Voodooman said:

From the horse's mouth. Pretty absolute statement but I am pretty sure they will allow some of these exotic dinosaurs to survive and continue to roam our streets in return for tax dollars.

The worry is maybe no petrol station to buy petrol or maybe you need to drive to Jurong island to top up. 😂

Singapore aims to phase out Internal Combustion Engine (ICE) vehicles and have all vehicles run on cleaner energy by 2040.

https://www.lta.gov.sg/content/ltagov/en/industry_innovations/technologies/electric_vehicles.html

Buy Porky. Got Porky Petrol.

• Haha! 1

18 minutes ago, Comage said:

Where'd the "2025" milestone come from? I thought the target from LTA was 2030?

Anyway, we've been through this before in the other discussion - the slow-chargers taking 6-12hrs for a full charge that HDB is putting into HDB carparks is not going to cut at all. At all.

If you wait till Low batt, then charge. Of course not enough.

Since CB, I fill up petrol as and when half tank.

19 minutes ago, Voodooman said:

Yes this 2040 hard deadline, I am aware. It's possible only if govt gets its act together right now. 

In their master plan they say at the end of 2030 there will be 1 charging point to 5 EV... Very tall order. Plus slow charger means you're sure as hell going to see 5 drivers fighting for 1 lot. 

My car 50% charge, I song song want to charge to 100% before moving off.. You not happy? Come fight lar!.... And then multiply that by 5-fold and throw in a slow-charger and see the sparks fly lo... 

Won't work - unless something changes in their master plan. Who knows, maybe it'll delay until 2050!

9 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

If you wait till Low batt, then charge. Of course not enough.

Since CB, I fill up petrol as and when half tank.

I fill up at half tank as well... 

But you and I, knowing what kind of dick drivers most Singaporeans are... 

1 minute ago, Comage said:

Yes this 2040 hard deadline, I am aware. It's possible only if govt gets its act together right now. 

In their master plan they say at the end of 2030 there will be 1 charging point to 5 EV... Very tall order. Plus slow charger means you're sure as hell going to see 5 drivers fighting for 1 lot. 

My car 50% charge, I song song want to charge to 100% before moving off.. You not happy? Come fight lar!.... And then multiply that by 5-fold and throw in a slow-charger and see the sparks fly lo... 

Won't work - unless something changes in their master plan. Who knows, maybe it'll delay until 2050!

Haha... I don't understand why so many are so pessimistic. If there is strong demand and money to be made, supply will catch up and it is really not rocket science to build charging stations.

Anyway, why 1 to 5 ratio is you probably don't have to charge everyday. 10 years is a long time, by 2030, i can't imagine the range of a single charge and what sort of speed we can charge at?  In the last 5 years alone, the range of average EV has doubled and supercharging technology have improved by leaps and bounds. Read recently an Israeli company just developed a new battery that can be charged in 5 mins.

You know, when you are paid millions like some ministers, you will be charging your EV at your bungalow.

You will also have 1 charging point at home and 5ev cars. So it is true that it is 1 charging point every 5 ev.

Then you will wonder why the farking peasants worry so much. Just plug in at home only what. Your home cannot charge meh? Then take bus lah. Kao bei.

• Haha! 2

1 hour ago, Comage said:

LTA decided on 2040 Ah? Look what has become of ERP2. talk is free for LTA.

$0.5B for basically the same function as the existing unit. And awarded in feb2016 to be launched in 2020 and delay till 2023 or maybe even later. Covid gave them a face saving excuse to try to improve a cock up design. 
Let’s see how many will break down and Kenna recall. 

https://www.lta.gov.sg/content/ltagov/en/newsroom/2016/2/2/tender-awarded-to-develop-next-generation-electronic-road-pricing-system.html

Edited by Mkl22
↡ Advertisement